Filling in for a Friend!!

Wakashi

P3D, KEGE Control Tower, Ultimate Traffic Live, SkyForce 3D, Active Sky!

A "friend" ask if I could fill in at the tower this evening for him for a few hours, I, like the idiot I am said of course I could.  I had not seen the weather report and I think that he had seen it!  Anyway I showed up at KEGE for tower duty just about dusk, sat down at the computer to see how this might go.

1. Looks like it might be a quiet evening for me, nothing on the radar for several miles around, no arrivals, no departures to worry about other than a few small GA so, a little coffee, snacks and relaxation!  HA!  
ptBifuz.jpg

2. About the time this little guy calls in for clearance for take off, all HE...double hockey sticks broke out around the area!  Thunder, lighting, wind, not good, not good at all.  So I hunkered down for the duration and made my plans to strangle my so called ATC friend!
8S5MmVL.jpg

3. After several hours of this mess, luckily no rain to speak of, although a couple of power outages and it was getting late...
rh6oatJ.jpg

4. The lightning and wind drove this poor fellow to ground in a hurry!
DAKctiC.jpg

5. That bolt looks like it just might have made contact with the skin of the plane, but I guess not, he made it down to the runway just fine!
eCWQr6u.jpg

6. It finally started to clear up, other than an occasional strike off in the distance and I was able to enjoy my last cup of joe!

N6MCTfH.jpg

7. One last hoorah of a strike!  Spilled that hot coffee all over myself, now my "friend" is really gonna suffer!! 

OnektWG.jpg

Thanks for spending a thrilling evening with me in the Control Tower at KEGE! 

1 minute ago, olderndirt said:

Great views from inside a tower cab - used to do that for a living.

Cool!, how was it during lightning storms, seems like a bad place to be at a time like that, up high, surrounded by glass! :blink: Thanks for the looks and the comments! :D

1 minute ago, Wakashi said:

Cool!, how was it during lightning storms, seems like a bad place to be at a time like that, up high, surrounded by glass! :blink: Thanks for the looks and the comments! :D

The floor of Anchorage Tower is 165 ft agl - even more exciting during an earthquake.

31 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

The floor of Anchorage Tower is 165 ft agl - even more exciting during an earthquake.

That was not a very "Good Friday" for sure ......:(:o:(

John

20 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

A post with a difference Roger, great originality shown here.

Splendid images with plenty of bad weather and an interesting story!:)

+1 - Well done Roger . :):)

John

2 hours ago, BradB said:

That was not a very "Good Friday" for sure ......:(:o:(

John

During the 'Good Friday' quake of '64, we were in McGrath.  The cups rattled on their hooks three hundred miles away from the epicenter and we hosted the Alaska Air first officer when flights into PANC were blocked. 

20 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A post with a difference Roger, great originality shown here.

Splendid images with plenty of bad weather and an interesting story!:)

Thanks kindly for the comments Martyn, just wanted to something different for myself also, wasn’t really in the flying mood that evening! :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, adambar said:

Time to fly to my alternate airport I see. :unsure:

You should have dropped on in Adam, the weather wasn’t as bad as all that! :rolleyes:   Thanks for the looks and the comments!

17 hours ago, olderndirt said:

During the 'Good Friday' quake of '64, we were in McGrath.  The cups rattled on their hooks three hundred miles away from the epicenter and we hosted the Alaska Air first officer when flights into PANC were blocked. 

That does not sound like fun times from my perspective of things!  You must of been a young man back then, 10’ tall and bullet proof huh!

11 hours ago, Dario said:

Great shots! Hard weather for a tower controller, but better time to be grounded than flying :) 

You are right about that Dario, I just decided to work the tower that evening for some odd reason, wasn’t exactly grounded, wasn’t actually flying either, somewhere in between I guess! :D   Thanks for the comments Sir!

6 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Well done Roger. I hope the "Head" was on the same floor and not too far away.:unsure::D

Not too far away at all Karl, as a matter of fact I just moved in there until things got better!! :lol:   Thanks for looking in Karl!

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic shots, Roger - I don´t even know how you made them. And I have never managed to make a screenie of a single lightning...!

Thank you Gerold for looking and the comments!  Not hard to make, just used the tower controller as the vehicle, picked my airport and P3D did the rest (mostly)!  As for the lightning I could never catch one either until I installed Sky Force 3D, the lightning lasts a little longer plus you can pause it and then set up the shot! :D

59 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Wicked cool idea Roger, and it gives me fodder for a possible comic!  I like these a lot.

Thanks, glad you liked em Jack, hope you can use them or use the idea for your comic strip!  That tower view is a bit hard to get used to but well worth the effort, especially with UTL and plane spotting, lots of ATC voice traffic and if your UTL is at 100%, lots of ac traffic, a steady stream of landings + T/O;s @ the bigger airports! :D

11 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

I feel as if I should know the answer to this - but how did you get the tower view? Is it fully operational?

Adam.

Hey Adam, thanks for looking!  At the startup screen when picking your aircraft scroll to the bottom of the list and choose Tower Controller, as far as fully functional, the radar works well with UTL and default AI, ATC works pretty well also, choices of Tower, ground, clearance, ATIS, Approach etc.  I find the views a bit hard to use other than the default view, TrackIR works there or mouse/hatswitch view either one.  If you can figure out the views better I would appreciate some feedback!  Hope you get some use out of it! :D

23 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

I feel as if I should know the answer to this - but how did you get the tower view? Is it fully operational?

Adam.

I'm sure you have figured it out but to get the control tower it is at the airport screen, under select parking area, all the way to the bottom! 

Archived