From Gisborne

Jack Sawyer

Flew from Gisborne, NZGS to Wairoa, NZWO

Quite the beautiful country.

Tried ticking the use auto ruder but didn't work because everything is assigned through FSUIPC so I have to start on the end of the runway.

And landing?  Difficult.

TMDr8Rn.jpg

cn6yRge.jpg

t5BBpwh.jpg

1ZdWdxu.jpg

85QP5AC.jpg

h3YIvbv.jpg

XvkPh6L.jpg

synM1l9.jpg

gOFWjDw.jpg

This is odd texture that kept changing as I went

SmGF3sM.jpg

eg4HiuH.jpg

Just now, M110A2 said:

Awesome shots Jack, yes what a nice day to fly. Love that plane, is that a Piper Cherokee 140, I'm on my tablet and glasses are at home so I can't see it too well.

Thanks, yes sir, it’s A2A’s Cherokee, very nice plane.

Great pix Jack.

Funnily enough I was flying around Gisborne yesterday and realised just how good the scenery is around there.

Now here's a suggestion...

Why don't you try a flight from Gisborne to NZWV (Waihi Beach).

It's a 600 metre grass strip just down the road from where I live and great for a Cherokee or something similar.

You could take the direct route which would take you over Whakatane and Tauranga or fly the long way around the coast.

Either way a very scenic trip, especially if you take a minor diversion to White Island off the coast near Whakatane.

It's an active volcano and quite nicely modelled in FTX

NZWV can be a challenging strip as there's nearly always a decent cross wind there.

1 minute ago, cyberpilot said:

Great pix Jack.

Funnily enough I was flying around Gisborne yesterday and realised just how good the scenery is around there.

Now here's a suggestion...

Why don't you try a flight from Gisborne to NZWV (Waihi Beach).

It's a 600 metre grass strip just down the road from where I live and great for a Cherokee or something similar.

You could take the direct route which would take you over Whakatane and Tauranga or fly the long way around the coast.

Either way a very scenic trip.

NZWV can be a challenging strip as there's nearly always a decent cross wind there.

Thanks!  I will do that next time I turn on the PC.

Is there an ICAO code for this strip because I don't know the area and would likely get lost.

There's a great little café at the end of the strip called the Surf Shack but unfortunately it's not modelled.

However, you'll find a hangar and a C172 parked there.

Watch out for the tall trees on both final approach paths!

They're not there in real life but for some reason have found their way into the sim.

Waihi Beach is one of NZ's best surf spots.

And don't forget to check out White Island along the way as well as Mayor Island which is 18 miles off the coast from Waihi Beach.

There's also a small mountain range called the Kaimais which runs inland from Tauranga to Waihi Beach.

It's very scenic and worth a close look.  

In 1963 it was the scene of NZ's worst domestic plane crash when a DC3 ploughed into one of the ridge tops in appalling weather.

The aircraft was caught in a severe downdraught with the loss of 23 lives - very sad.

13 minutes ago, cyberpilot said:

There's a great little café at the end of the strip called the Surf Shack but unfortunately it's not modelled.

However, you'll find a hangar and a C172 parked there.

Watch out for the tall trees on both final approach paths!

They're not there in real life but for some reason have found their way into the sim.

Waihi Beach is one of NZ's best surf spots.

And don't forget to check out White Island along the way as well as Mayor Island which is 18 miles off the coast from Waihi Beach.

There's also a small mountain range called the Kaimais which runs inland from Tauranga to Waihi Beach.

It's very scenic and worth a close look.  

In 1963 it was the scene of NZ's worst domestic plane crash when a DC3 ploughed into one of the ridge tops in appalling weather.

The aircraft was caught in a severe downdraught with the loss of 23 lives - very sad.

Sad to hear that news.

But what a nice place to live, I'll fly there when I start the sim, next flight for sure.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Archived