A Real Star

Scott Harmes

Hey Scott. Nice pictures.and the plane is fascinating. In your shots, the Aerostar looks like the workhorse it is. Do you happen to know if this is a Ted Smith or a Piper or an Aerostar Corp model? I looked up the plane on Google Wikepedia and was fascinated by its history -- shows that you can't keep a good airplane down. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Scott. Nice pictures.and the plane is fascinating. In your shots, the Aerostar looks like the workhorse it is. Do you happen to know if this is a Ted Smith or a Piper or an Aerostar Corp model? I looked up the plane on Google Wikepedia and was fascinated by its history -- shows that you can't keep a good airplane down. Thanks!

Hey Rodger.  It seems to be a bit of all of them :lol:.  I'm not totally sure, but the title of the addon is "Aerostar_601P-Piper_PA61", so I guess it's a Piper.  

In fact, after a quick check on Wikipedia :rolleyes:, it is called a Piper Aerostar, and it was built after Ted Smith Aircraft Company became a part of Piper Aircraft Corporation.  The 601P is the first model to be pressurised.

Thanks for the question, it made me look a bit deeper in to the history, which I always enjoy.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

Hey Rodger.  It seems to be a bit of all of them :lol:.  I'm not totally sure, but the title of the addon is "Aerostar_601P-Piper_PA61", so I guess it's a Piper.  

In fact, after a quick check on Wikipedia :rolleyes:, it is called a Piper Aerostar, and it was built after Ted Smith Aircraft Company became a part of Piper Aircraft Corporation.  The 601P is the first model to be pressurised.

Thanks for the question, it made me look a bit deeper in to the history, which I always enjoy.

Cheers,

Hey Scott. May I bother you with another question? Where did you get the download? I tried Simviation and Fly Away Simulation but no joy. Your model is really nice.

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey Scott. May I bother you with another question? Where did you get the download? I tried Simviation and Fly Away Simulation but no joy. Your model is really nice.

Hi Rodger,

This one is actually a new payware Aerostar for X Plane 11 by Avia 71.

https://store.x-plane.org/Aerostar-601P_p_837.html

Before I had X Plane 11 I actually bought a FS2004 model to use with FSX, although the catch was I had to install FS2004 just to install the aircraft and then move all the files over.  That plane also works pretty well in P3DV3, but I doubt it would work in P3DV4, being a FS2004 model.  That one was from FlightSim Developers.

http://www.fsd-international.com/Hangar/Aerostar/

I don't recall being able to find freeware one previously. 

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Scott Harmes said:

Hi Rodger,

This one is actually a new payware Aerostar for X Plane 11 by Avia 71.

https://store.x-plane.org/Aerostar-601P_p_837.html

Before I had X Plane 11 I actually bought a FS2004 model to use with FSX, although the catch was I had to install FS2004 just to install the aircraft and then move all the files over.  That plane also works pretty well in P3DV3, but I doubt it would work in P3DV4, being a FS2004 model.  That one was from FlightSim Developers.

http://www.fsd-international.com/Hangar/Aerostar/

I don't recall being able to find freeware one previously. 

Cheers,

Thanks, Scott. I'm still FSX -- maybe I can still get the 2004 model.

2 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Thanks, Scott. I'm still FSX -- maybe I can still get the 2004 model.

Sounds good Rodger.  The FSD model is very good, but just be aware you will need to install it in to FS2004 and then port it over.  You can't trick the installer as you can with many addons.

Cheers,

17 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

Sounds good Rodger.  The FSD model is very good, but just be aware you will need to install it in to FS2004 and then port it over.  You can't trick the installer as you can with many addons.

Cheers,

Hey Scott. Was able get the FSD Aerostar 2004, but you are sure right that it was not possible to trick the installer. I'll have to see if I can get my old 2004 reinstalled and then do the port-over you suggest. However it turns out, thanks a lot for the guidance and help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 1:12 AM, Scott Harmes said:

Cheers,

Hey Scott. Can you tell me how you managed to get your 2004 Aerostar 700 to fly outside of FS9? I did the 2004 to FSX portover with no success, and the guys at fsd said that there are no secret tweaks to make the jump unofficially. I love the plane, but I've gort black prop discs, fogged windows, and dead instruments. Drat!

Hi Rodger,

I can't recall exactly unfortunately.  Once I got it up and running I saved the files in a working state so that I wouldn't need to install FS2004 again just to install the aircraft.  From memory it had something to do with the setup or configuration.  Basically I got the aircraft in a full working and running state in FS2004 and then saved all the related files in that condition.

Cheers,

Archived