Criss cross

VH-KDK

A flight from Kota Bharu to Alor Setar in Malaysia but crossing into southern Thailand.

1.PtLvUCy.jpg

About to depart from Sultan Ismael Petra the 28th Sultan of Kelantan who ruled from 1979 to 2010

2.FLPAhp7.jpg

Over Pulau Gajah on the edge of Kota Bharu

3.R1cn9sA.jpg

Off the coast at Kota Bharu is the wreck of the Awazisan Maru the first Japanese ship sunk in the Pacific War on the 8th December 1941 during the invasion of Malaya. It was set on fire by an RAAF Hudson and probably sunk by a Dutch Submarine.

4.DQ2E8D8.jpg

Just into Thailand and south of the town of Chehe.

5.9f9lCbC.jpg

At Bo Ngo in Narathiwat Province which is 75% jungle.

6.LKjaj9H.jpg

Flying over the Chanae district with Malaysia still visible in the distance.

7.5y7Xfqi.jpg

Running into a tropical storm approaching Khuean Bang Lang in Thailand's Yala Province.

8.joepthY.jpg

Sadly the southern provinces have been affected by conflict with sepratists. We are between Than To and Ban Rae( not sunglasses you wear on the back of your head!:wacko:)

9.fdWJ7g2.jpg

After flying through some very heavy weather the visibility improves as we descend passing Pokok Sena back in Malaysia.

10.eMDgrmP.jpg.

On the ground at the military side of WMKA Sultan Abdul Halim Airport in the town of Alor Satar.

I hope you enjoyed the flight.

33 minutes ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Wonderful set Martyn, lots of "atmosphere" pardon the pun ^_^ and a history lesson to boot. Great cloud formations - ASN?

Don

Thanks Don and puns are always welcome.:)

I am using AS16 with REX TD.;)

Hi Martyn. Wonderful travelogue over an interesting area full of history. Do I remember correctly that there were several major internal Thai wars way back when in this area? I seem to hear war elephants trumpeting. 

The plane is intriguing--kind of like a 747 welded on to a C-46. I know I've seen it before but can't pin it down. What are we looking at here?

Great set all the way around. Thanks!

Another great flight by our geographically well educated flyer Martyn!

An area I will never visit, neither in real life nor in the sim, but your lessons are always very interesting.....

I do like your statement about the Dutch submarine of course !

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:24 PM, BradB said:

The results are in , Big Nose is the winner of these fine shots by a nose . Quite a victory for you Martyn , from last to first :

Cheers

John

Thanks John.

I don't know what that nag was on but I wouldn't mind some!:lol:

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:11 PM, macca22au said:

Martin a great commentary, and a brilliant rendition of the old freighter.  If they are still in use in such remote areas I would be cautious of accepting a lift.

Thanks Ian, no problems flying with me, just make sure I have my white stick beside me at the pilots seat.:o

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:05 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

That was very interesting Martyn, thanks!  You sure do know a lot, and it's good to see Big Head back and I think that you may be Australian but your heart is in Thailand.

Thank you Jack and you have me sussed out pretty well.:D

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:54 AM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hi Martyn. Wonderful travelogue over an interesting area full of history. Do I remember correctly that there were several major internal Thai wars way back when in this area? I seem to hear war elephants trumpeting. 

The plane is intriguing--kind of like a 747 welded on to a C-46. I know I've seen it before but can't pin it down. What are we looking at here?

Great set all the way around. Thanks!

Thanks Rodger and Thai history is so interesting.

The plane is the ATL-98 Carvair based on the Douglas DC-4, a common sight when I lived in Bournemouth in the early 70s. 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:33 AM, Captain Lars said:

A very very good set of shots. The landscape looks very good, although it's just Global. The weather adds to the immersion. And a very interesting old plane with a lot of character.

Thank you Lars, Global comes up really well coupled with the tropical weather.:)

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:50 AM, Sundancer said:

Another great flight by our geographically well educated flyer Martyn!

An area I will never visit, neither in real life nor in the sim, but your lessons are always very interesting.....

I do like your statement about the Dutch submarine of course !

Many thanks Fred, I am glad you enjoyed the post!:)

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:25 PM, adambar said:

Very well done once again Martyn! I :) I learn something everyday from you my friend, to bad I can't retain what the heck it was that I learned. :(:D

Thanks Adam, I think we are in the same boat, so to speak!:lol:

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, Ray Farrugia said:

Nice shots Martyn, luv the Carvair in the old Ansett livery.

cheers

Thanks Ray, I like anything Ansett but sadly the Carvairs were gone by the time I moved down here although their Electra freighters were a very welcome sight to me.

I think one of the ex Ansett L-188s is still active with Buffalo.

Archived