Freeware airport requests

Thank you for the continued fields in the freeware packs.

As you've done KJYO, KCJR, and KRMN... respectfully request KHEF and KHWY (and possibly KCHO) to round out the popular fields in that area. If you need photography from ground and/or air, please pm me.

Again, thanks for the excellent work!

• Upvote 1

Truly excellent work by all of you. As far as requests, I would second the request for KSRQ, although it's a fairly large project. If that one is out of your bailiwick, you might consider Venice Municipal, KVNC. It was a fighter plane training site during WWII; My father, training out of Tampa, landed his B17 on one of their runways. Embarrassing!

Thanks for the opportunity to make suggestions.

Someone previously mentioned Debert (CCQ3), I'd second that.

Some other ideas and basic rationale:

Trenton Aerodrome (CYTN) - Owned by Sobeys Incorporated, one of the largest grocery chains in Canada, used for corporate flights as their head office is in nearby Stellerton, NS

Fox Harbour Airport (CFH4) - Owned by Fox Harbour Development, which also operates the adjacent Fox Harbour Golf Course, a very elite golf course that the rich and famous play, accessed by flying their private aircraft into CFH4. 

Any of the smaller airports that Bearskin or Perimeter fly into:

http://www.bearskinairlines.com/route_map.shtml

http://www.perimeter.ca/travel/Destination_Overview.html

Both of these airlines do interesting seat-of-your-pants flying ops into these small airstrips that are not for the faint of heart...particularly in winter!  These would provide a nic ecrossover between commercial aviation and bush flying.

Medium/Larger size (not sure if this size are on the table)

Montreal/Mirabel (CYMX) - White elephant as an international passenger airport, now operates as Montreal's cargo hub...a big gap for cargo haulers out there!

Hamilton (CYHM) - Home to some passenger flights as a secondary airport in the Toronto area, also a major cargo hub and home to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (actually as I type this I'm starting to think it might make an interesting full global airport!)

Thanks again for your consideration

I would like to fly out of a more accurate and less abandoned KEET (Shelby County) where I live locally and fly from. I noticed back in pack 12 that KEKY (Bessemer) was added, and it's very close to KEET. I was thinking "Nooooooo!! But KEET is only 5 minutes from KEKY in a 172!!" :

Anyway, guys... that's my request. KEET. ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Recently purchase FTX Global and these freeware airport packs have really renewed my interest in GA flying in the sim. Thank you!!

I noticed there is a large gap here in the middle of the country. (I'm currently stationed in Omaha) Any chance of some Omaha Area/Region Airports?

KCBF

KOMA

KMLE

KPMV

KBTA

KRDK

KLNK

Also, I'd love to see KTPF down in Tampa. I got my PPL there while stationed nearby at MacDill AFB and really miss that little airport on the bay!

Looking forward to whatever is next. Thanks again!

Would like to request Mariposa-Yosemite Airport KMPI which is one of the airports closest to the newly enhanced Yosemite valley.  Being navigationally challenged, I need all the help I can get to help me find the famous Yosemite landmarks just added to NCA.  Even though it is in a full Orbx region, KMPI is not anywhere to be found, enhanced or otherwise, in either NCA or in FSX, and it does not look from Google Earth images like it would be that big or complicated to implement. 

Stan V

Would like to request Mariposa-Yosemite Airport KMPI which is one of the airports closest to the newly enhanced Yosemite valley.  Being navigationally challenged, I need all the help I can get to help me find the famous Yosemite landmarks just added to NCA.  Even though it is in a full Orbx region, KMPI is not anywhere to be found, enhanced or otherwise, in either NCA or in FSX, and it does not look from Google Earth images like it would be that big or complicated to implement. 

Stan V

Hi Stan

If you look, in NCA, for O68 instead of KMPI, you may have a good surprise :) !

I posted this request a while ago in one of the North America pack threads, so I don't know if I should post it again here or not.  Figured I'd try anyway :D

I'd like to see my hometown's airport KFSM (Fort Smith Regional) given the Orbx treatment.  I don't know if it'd be out of the question, though.  I fly into and out of it all the time in FSX!  I've seen several airports in Arkansas and Oklahoma being released in these freeware packs recently, so I thought I'd see about one a little closer to home.

Hi Todd etal....Thank You to you and the team for your dedicated work.

I would like to add my .02

KTKI-Collin Co. Regional, MicKinney,TX. This is my homebase for my Aersostar. They have really enhanced the airport quite a bit.

Thank You for KSWI-flown into the airport many times for fuel(some of the cheapest) :-)

KGLS- Scholes Field, Galveston,TX

I add my +1 2NC0...Mountain Air. Really cool and challenging airport. Perhaps because it's out as payware on the Aerosoft Dangerous airports; it wasn't considered. Hope that thought might be reconsidered at some point.

Thank You again.

Best,

David

• 3 weeks later...

I humbly request: Grand Junction, CO  -  KGJT :) 

...also known affectionately as "Grand Junction NAS" to the Navy fliers  ....since all the Hornet pilots like to stop there on their cross-countries! I also think the airport is ran by an ex-navy fighter jock.

http://tailhookdaily.typepad.com/tailhook_daily_briefing/2008/04/the-saints-of-v.html

Or is this already being saved for the SRM project? ;)

Thanks for the consideration Todd (et al)

Thanks for including KGSO in Pack 19 along with some other North Carolina airports recently! :)

Speaking of which, I'd like to be a nuisance and repeat my request for Burlington-Alamance Regional Airport (KBUY), since I forgot to mention in my initial request another good reason for including it in an airport pack: The runway has been lengthened from 4999 feet to 6405 feet. Seeing KBUY in a freeware airport pack would be the highlight of my flight simulation year. 8)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Greetings!  I would like to put in a request for a few Virginia airports.  I fly out of KJGG which you have previously released.  

KMFV:  Accomack County Airport

W96:  New Kent County Airport

KLUA:  Luray Caverns Airport

W13:  Eagles Nest Airport

Thank you so much for all of the freeware airports that you have provided!

-Brian

If this topic is still being decided upon:

KVNY: Van Nuys Airport

It offers something for everyone - they handle everything from Piper Cubs to MD-80's.  They're close to LA, but far enough away that you can be in a rural setting rather quickly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2095954,-118.4905795,2225m/data=!3m1!1e3

http://skyvector.com/airport/VNY/Van-Nuys-Airport

Regards,

Would love to see:

KGXY - Greeley Weld County Airport, CO

KFNL - Fort Collins, Loveland Airport, CO

While metro Denver is well covered by two very nice Enhanced Freeware airports, and the southern Front Range has other excellent freeware options at Pueblo and C.Springs, these would fill the current hole along the Northern Front Range of CO.

Thanks for the opportunity to offer suggestions,

Scott

Wow, good luck with this list...

I'm sure everyone wants to see their own airport done, so I'll throw mine in, Los Alamos, New Mexico KLAM.   Like Sedona, it's on a mesa top along with the town, and surrounded by deep canyons and sheer orange coloured cliffs.  At 7000 feet, there are 10,000'+ mountains to the west, and the Rio Grande a few miles to the east.  (thanks pilottj for beating me to it!)  

I also second anything in Alaska (esp. Talkeetna or Kodiak) but would like to add Goma, DR Congo as well (FZNA).   And anything in southern Utah.   List could go on for miles...

los_alamos_new_mexico_usa_2.jpgKLAM

Credits to K Gross

Any of these airports you can download at: http://www.eraalaskava.net/download---fsx-scenery.html

Hey Fischkopp, this link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Would like to see Agness airstrip, on the Rogue River about 15 miles upstream from Gold Beach (4S1) in southwest Oregon.  It's a small strip suitable for canyon fliers.  At present there's nothing there in the scenery (NCA), and a few trees block the way.

If this topic is still being decided upon:

KVNY: Van Nuys Airport

It offers something for everyone - they handle everything from Piper Cubs to MD-80's.  They're close to LA, but far enough away that you can be in a rural setting rather quickly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2095954,-118.4905795,2225m/data=!3m1!1e3

http://skyvector.com/airport/VNY/Van-Nuys-Airport

Regards,

We certainly are noting all airport suggestions, as they will be very helpful when we do future freeware packs. Right now, Neil and I are in the middle of enhancing all SoCal airports for the upcoming SCA region. Once those are done, we can shift our focus back to Global airports. KVNY has been done already, just FYI, and is available in the FTX Global freeware airport pack. 

T67, Hicks Field. Lots of live-in hangars that could be modelled open by day and closed at night. BNSF train that runs parallel with runway. Could do nearby Meacham and Copeland as well.

KDAL would be nice as well now that renovations are complete.

All of these suggestions sound great and I would love to visit them all.

But I've been thinking about it, and if we're talking about the U.S., if you look at the GoogleEarth freeware placement, they are scattered all across the country.  Alaska has some full region coverage, but there is a LOT of untouched-by-Orbx territory.  So my vote would be some Global airports up there, and these are a few I think are right in line with the Orbx freewares:

Talkeetna - PATK:  Awesome little airport with tons of activity, legendary glacier pilots, funky town with a raucously famous roadhouse, and Denali looming above the trees.  Oh, and Don Sheldon's tight strip in the middle of town.

Denali Park: Challenging strip in a rugged valley, at the entrance to Denali National Park.

Stampede & Kantishna:  Near the remote west end of Denali Park, situated in tight canyons with lots of turbulence.  I think one of them listed as Hazardous in the AK AFD supplement

Bettles:  Just south of the Brooks Range, just above the Arctic Circle in a sea of spruce forest.  Cool lodge/roadhouse right next to the airport

McGrath: Not long ago there was a lot of DC-6 traffic here, along with all the regular Alaska classics.  Fire base in summer

Northway: Port of Entry for pilots flying up the Alaska Highway, there used to be a restaurant, maybe still is

Kodiak: Squeezed between ocean and ruggedness, has (or had) daily Alaska Airlines 737 service.  Runway ends at the base of very large mountain, no go-arounds.  Floatplanes routinely fly under the harbor bridge for takeoff and landing.  Nightmarish winds and turbulence (or challenging, depending on your level of masochism)

These are just a start.  There are many dozens more...

T67, Hicks Field. Lots of live-in hangars that could be modelled open by day and closed at night. BNSF train that runs parallel with runway. Could do nearby Meacham and Copeland as well.

KDAL would be nice as well now that renovations are complete.

Hey Loaf, I just drove by that place last weekend (worked at the NASCAR race and was advised that would be a better way to avoid the consruction on I-35 in Fort Worth). Anyway, I am looking doing some airports here in Texas and that T67 Hicks Field was one that I tentatively 'circled'.... only thing is there are about 100-150 little hangars there, which will mean (a) a lot of work and ( 8) potentially an FPS hit for some people.

Copeland 4T2 would be a perfect selection.

Meacham is about as big as anybody would even consider doing, and that is probably even a bit too large -- at least for me.

Forget KDAL. Different product by different developers completely.