Freeware airport requests

Just now, Bermuda425 said:

I agree. Looks scenic and with upcoming openLC this will be a cool spot to fly.

Right? Obviously with the way airspace is IRL its not too easy for pilots to take a jaunt around the launch pads up at Kennedy Space Center.
I know about two months ago they were extending the runway at KCOI which is pretty cool. But it's definitely an awesome place to fly. Great visual approaches and approach markers as well. 

• Upvote 1

Hi Dean,

I don't need pictures generally as I use the ORBXLibs objects.  They do help from time to time if I can't get into "birds eye view" but KCOI was covered.  Thanks anyway.

@Gollum - I did all the airports in PFJ, I don't think there's one I missed.  I don't do the super detailed airport work that is payware grade.  I do the "Chevy" versions that are accurate but take hours rather than months.

Cheers, Neil

13 minutes ago, Neil Hill said:

Hi Dean,

I don't need pictures generally as I use the ORBXLibs objects.  They do help from time to time if I can't get into "birds eye view" but KCOI was covered.  Thanks anyway.

@Gollum - I did all the airports in PFJ, I don't think there's one I missed.  I don't do the super detailed airport work that is payware grade.  I do the "Chevy" versions that are accurate but take hours rather than months.

Cheers, Neil

Sounds good! How recent was that birds eye view?

So in regards to the runway it wasn't an extension. They are bringing the runway overrun up to code because there had been too many incidents where pilots were dumping their planes into the ocean. The runway is still going to be 3601' with the east end having 180' of more over-run. 
Apologies about the confusion.

10 hours ago, CND4 said:

OK how about some large Canadian airports starting with CYYZ an CYUL and our Canadian Capital CYOW in Ontario and Quebec to start with.

CND4 north of CYYZ

I'll add CND4 to the list. The large airport are probably too large to do easily and would result in no other airports for a long period of time. CYQM Moncton was in the last pack and CYXU London will be in the next pack but these are about as large as can be done .

Larry

On 2016-02-13 at 9:26 AM, Bermuda425 said:

Great suggestions! You hit the spot with the US floodgates :lol:

On 2016-02-13 at 4:20 AM, jabble said:

I'm delighted to see SBTR made it in - many thanks!  I had an (unintended) break from flying, so only noticed it recently.

I'm enjoying OLC CanAk, and have a few suggestions for there before the USA floodgates open:

CYRL - Red Lake.  The Norseman Capital of the World, with an annual fly-in. The airfield is a little north of town, and there's a water aerodrome right next to town.

CYGL - La Grande Riviere.  Near a major hydro project, it's an excellent jumping-off point for visiting Hudson's Bay and the Canadian Arctic.

CYDM - Ross River. At the start of the northern Canol road, a gorgeous VFR route through the mountains.  Just north of the SAK region.

PAKN - King Salmon.  A gateway to Katmai NP, and a useful site for travelling down the Aleutians.

And one more in South America:

SCTE - Puerto Montt.  Situated between two of Chile's most scenic regions - the Lake District to the north, and the Fjords to the south.  Volcanoes round about too.

Answered this last week but forgot to hit submit. Since I mostly do Canadian airports the US LC shouldn't affect the number I do in Canada, Alaska or South America.

CYRL Red Lake and SCTE Puerto Montt are now on my list. I'll consider the others. I think Neil is doing PAKN. They won't be in the next pack but probably the one after.

Larry

• Upvote 3

For some of the other countries there is a lot of freeware. I don't usually take much notice of it but I discoverd flightsimNorway by chance as I was flying around exploring the spectacular OrbX Norway. Is there a list of recommended freeware airports for specific countries on OrbX forums?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2016 at 10:44 PM, Neil Hill said:

Hi All,

I'll take on PAKN and see about KPOV(29G).  Pack 25 should be available about mid March.  Thanks for the suggestions, I'm putting them all down.

Cheers, Neil

KPOV looks Excellent!

Looks just like the real thing!

Thanks Neil!

Neil,

Thanks for the awesome job you did on KIOB!   Now it looks like Mt.Sterling airport.  I am very pleased with the work you did bringing this airport to life.  I was not expecting it to be released this fast!  Just in time for my birthday .. by the way that was the best birthday present I received!

Many thanks,

Shane

Hi Omgedson,

KHWD is already done for NCA.  This thread is for freeware airport requests, they are done to the same standards as our "region" airport, just for airports outside our ORBX regions.

@flya150 - KRUQ is added to my Pack 26 group, it's a good size, not too small, not too big.

Cheers, Neil

• Upvote 1

Neil, are you releasing these airports as individual packs e.g Pack 22, 23, 24 and 25?

So far since Pack 20 or 21 they seem to be bundled into a full package from 1 - **. With the last release there was no documentation indicating what the new airports were although there was mention of some documentation in FTX Central but I cannot find it. I used to enjoy each individual pack with its airport list and sometimes a KMZ  file. With this information I would plan a flight that would touch base with all new airports.

While I appreciate your work I would like to see individual packs for those who already have the earlier packs but don't mind seeing a complete pack for Packs 1 - 22.

Hi Pat,

Lately Ed has been putting the new Pack with the older ones as one download as it makes the logistics much easier for ORBX, only one large pack to download rather than multi downloads.  It also makes it easier to implement airport updates/corrections that happen from time to time.  Even the full pack takes very little time to download so I don't see that as an issue.  For this last pack Ed didn't include the contents list in the announcement so I'll add it here.

FTXG Pack 25, contents.txt

KDTS is one of the more popular GA airports in the country (from my experience as a real pilot). Destin is huge vacation spot and it's a great approach over the ocean. Would tie together nicely with the other Florida coast airports you've done. 

KGLS, Galveston is a very well traveled GA destination.

KTVR would be really easy to do and is a personal request. 5000 foot runway and multiple approaches so it's got some utility with different types of flying. They handle a lot of transient traffic passing through for fuel. 

KSAF, Sante Fe for obvious reasons. It's just a great area. 

17 hours ago, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

Neil, are you releasing these airports as individual packs e.g Pack 22, 23, 24 and 25?

So far since Pack 20 or 21 they seem to be bundled into a full package from 1 - **. With the last release there was no documentation indicating what the new airports were although there was mention of some documentation in FTX Central but I cannot find it. I used to enjoy each individual pack with its airport list and sometimes a KMZ  file. With this information I would plan a flight that would touch base with all new airports.

While I appreciate your work I would like to see individual packs for those who already have the earlier packs but don't mind seeing a complete pack for Packs 1 - 22.

Pat,

The download via FTX Central v2 also includes the full PDF list of all airport in the NA Pack.  The new airports are listed in BOLD  to distinguish them.  I could not find any PDF link Central either but after posting the problem here the solution is to Click SETTINGS / TROUBLE SHOOTING / RESYNC ORBX PRODUCTS.

The PDF link should then appear to the right of "North American Freeware Pack".

Would be great to see CYQF, Red Deer, Alberta,Canada.

Originally built 1943 to train WWII pilots it sits adjacent to what was CFB Penhold.

CYQF gets it ICAO from the cattle brand Q-F used by the cattle ranch that was expropriated

to build the military base and the airport.

Regards,

Dave

On 12.3.2016 at 3:58 AM, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

Hi Pat,

after running the installer for the freeware airports, you need to Resync ORBX Products in FTX Central -> Settings -> Troubleshooting.

fcd3a4c86acc07d09f8fe5b9529e3044.jpg

Then you'll see a PDF icon right of the North America Freeware Packs entry.

1efab9db039f74b5bfc2efdf6dade7a3.jpg

Greetings,

Bermuda

Edited by Bermuda425

22 hours ago, dave39 said:

Originally built 1943 to train WWII pilots it sits adjacent to what was CFB Penhold.

CYQF gets it ICAO from the cattle brand Q-F used by the cattle ranch that was expropriated

Regards,

Dave

We would not do Red Deer as it is in the NRM region which has airports to the same standard as the freeware airports. There is a more detailed version for FSX with custom buildings available at flightontario.com.

Larry

Edited by larryisenor

M34  Kentucky Dam State Park airport might be a good one for guys flying light GA aircraft .. single 4000 ft runway,  a few buildings, sitting vey near the lakes, dam, small marina and a golfcouse.  

On March 11, 2016 at 2:43 PM, dave39 said:

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

As Larry pointed out, FlightOntario made a great little Red Deer (CYQF) Airport and it works Great and blends well with Global as well as the NRM region.

If you do install it into NRM you'll need to disable a file in the FlightOntario Red Deer Addon folder

FSX/Addon Scenery/Red Deer CYQF/scenery/CYQF_ADEX_LDI_CVX.bgl.OFF

As I said It blends pretty good into the NRM region as well as Global:)

Edited by Ziggy

Thank you gentlemen!

I have never had a look at that web site before.  Looks pretty good! I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the tip Ziggy. How would I ever have known that or figured it out!!??:wacko:

Dave

• Upvote 1

Would  like to see  KHTS  Tri-State  Airport/Milton J.  Ferguson Field  near Huntington W. Va.  Serves the  W.V., Kentucky, and Ohio tri-state  area. Thanks for all your efforts and hard work  bringing these freeware airports  to  us!

so I havent been doing much flight simming for the last year or so, but I did notice that Harrisburg International and York airport that I requested many moons ago are now available as freeware, so very much thanks to Neil and company, and as well for the new Alaska airports (Talkeetna!)  I look forward to enjoying them as soon as I work up the considerable ambition needed to reinstall all my stuff.  

Thanks!

North Bay, Ontario please (CYYB) and the float plane base a Trout Lake, which used to be a beehive of activity from the 40's though to the 80's. We have at least 3 scheduled air carriers flying in and out of here now, plus Voyageur Airways is headquartered here. Canadore College Aviation Campus is always busy with it's helicopter pilot training. We really appreciate all your efforts.