Focus on Freeware - Orsta-Volda Airport ENOV

renault

Good evening everyone. My name is Renault and I am corporate public relations director for Icelandic Air.

I'd like to extend our warmest welcome to you on our first flight from Oslo to Orsta-Volda Airport, Holden. We're hoping
that depending on your reaction we will be able to make Holden one of our newest summer stops in beautiful Norway.

Our flight today is expertly handled by Captain Anna , and her second in command First Officer Kristin. Our flight attendants,  Aron and Gunnar
have been doing their utmost to make your flight as enjoyable as possible (applause). Thank you, thank you. 

We hope you are enjoying our vintage DC-3. It's one of the oldest aircraft in our fleet and has a very special place in our
hearts. It's been fully modernized and is up to date with all the electronics and safety equipment necessary
for modern flight so rest assured that even though the cockpit looks a bit old, behind the scenes we are everyone
bit as modern as the latest "glass cockpit" jet aircraft.

A little bit of background  on Orsta-Volda airport, while we are starting  our landing approach. If you want more
detail please use the Ipad in the seat pocket in front of you. The local tourist bureau has a fantastic site and have access
to many cameras that will give you many interesting views of the flight and local area. Please fasten your seatbelts and enjoy
our approach.

Orsta-Volda Airport known as ENOV,  Hovden  is centrally located between the towns of Orsta and Volda . ENOV is a regional airport

and was first opened in 1971. Initially it was used infrequently but in 1988 the terminal was upgraded and the runway extended in 2000.

In 2008 and 2012 the Eiksund and Kviv tunnels were opened and as a result the airport is now very busy.

Recently, Orsta-Volda received a significant upgrade from the world famous airport design company, the Orbx corporation. They
are an extremely modern and progressive organization, very much  state of the art in terms of their exceptional design capability
and use of real time computer simulations to give prospective clients a in-depth feeling for the final product.

In fact , many of you will already have flown into airports that they have designed . Their design brief is worldwide and 
Orsta-Volda is very happy and privileged to have been able to secure their services. On a bit more of a personal note,

Orbx was started in 2005 by John Venema and has grown rapidly since then. 

I have a friend, Jack is his name who is involved in public realtions with them.Jack is an  all round people person, funny, full of life

and bonne homie and always willing to help folks in need. His official title is VIP and I always joke with him about job titles.

Does this mean you're the "boss" or KING perhaps but he always just smiles without answering. He has a particular penchant for yellow

which means that he is always easy to spot in an airport. I think, honestly he travels much more than I do and you never know where he will show up.

If you all pick up your ipads, you will see an over view map of the area , which has been taken from the Tourist bureau website

The Tourist bureau website is https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/Ørsta-volda-airport-hovden/5884/  and the map is

U5SIj4f.jpg

Certainly spend some time checking out the town and immediate area. It's definitely worth planning on staying a while. Unfortunately,

we will be there less than an hour as we have a tight schedule to keep. 

This time of year we sometimes get mist in the evening and that makes it a bit tricky to fly.  Anna and Kristin have a lot of experience in this part of the world so I wouldn't be too worried.

Here we are as we are coming in to land ... 
Tower - "We are Icelandic Air , FI 101 on final for Orsta-Volda"

qStmu4k.jpg

They are still pretty informal on this flights. It's always a bit of a thrill to peek through and get the pilots view …

9xMouHV.jpg

Just coming in smooth as silk. They are old hands at this

lvU6fKx.jpg

Now I admit that the end of the runway doesn't look at all right. But  Gunnar assures me that its not as it seems.

Something about this is really a computerized XPlane "virtual flight" and the default mesh doesn't quite work right in this area.  

This computer stuff is just way over my pay grade. I have no idea what he means ...…

mcZPuMm.jpg

And now we're safely on the ground . Great job up front!

fp4cPWg.jpg

I hope the mist doesn't get much worse. It might mean we spend the night, which when you
come to think about it wouldn't be a such bad thing at all.... I think that you would all enjoy that

0ky6suT.jpg

There's a lot to this place.  The airport area is quite built up …

JkKnZUZ.jpg

Its a nice size. I like it a lot. Wideroe provides the regional air services
They used Canadian built Dash 8 aircraft.

fGpXFKn.jpg

There's shops , a car dealership, post office and police station right behind the airport.
Lots of amenities 

ALUYKuM.jpg

We'll be here about 35 minutes 
 fqd7Qjy.jpg

Just enough time to go exploring a bit, if you're quick .... Come along ....

koQkMW2.jpg

Very nice front entrance. Very Scandinavian -- clean, modern and very efficient looking. A trademark of the Orbx corporation

eZg4aVp.jpg

The architect , TonyW of Orbx ( he's quite well known in the European design community I'm told) did a great job
in planning this whole area. Who would have thought such a prestigious group would have been involved in this little airport

and to this standard. It is a bit out of the way you know.

But that is a hallmark of Orbx -  quality products with cutting edge design, well managed and skillfully executed.

It seems that if you just close your eyes for a moment with me you can see a "birds eye" view of the entire area.

Gosh, maybe  Gunnar was right about the computer thing!

li4VsZ0.jpg

We're just across the street at the post office. I really like the design of the street lights .... Something timeless
but with a modern twist ....

NlJjxL5.jpg

Gosh how the time has slipped by. Time for us to get back as our flight is leaving soon.
Let's just go down and through the main entrance like regular folks. No need to worry though, they won't 
be leaving without me.

Hey there. See that yellow Range Rover up by the departure exit. It looks just like the one my friend Jack often uses.

In fact it seems to have the same logo on the back tire that I've seen in a picture in his office.

It simply couldn't be, could it?. You travel halfway around the world and don't expect to run into someone
you know. But I know what it is. My old granny always used to tell us that somewhere in the world
is another person just like us.

I'll just have to tell my friend about it the next time I see him. I expect he'll 
think its hilarious .... In fact, what's hilarious is that I don't think the world is ready for 2 Jacks!

OTEkxhs.jpg

Well we made it back with lots of time to spare. I just can't get the Range Rover out of my
mind. It just couldn't have been "Jack" , could it??

DiPj2i7.jpg

It's been a busy 45 mins. And this little airport never stops humming. Definitely worth coming back to

when we have more time to explore.

yTLjlTp.jpg

It looks like we're just barely in the nick of time to leave. That mist is getting really low.

0igx0oc.jpg

Strangely it looks like it's starting to clear off now. We can always hope. It would be nice to see
the mountains on the way out.

BDetjee.jpg

I suspect we will be just fine. It seems it's just close to the ground now but clearing above

hIO7Ib4.jpg

Wow, isn't that amazing. Look behind us, you'll never believe that it was misty …

U9yuzIM.jpg

"Tak, Tak" for flying with us. We hope that you enjoyed your visit  and hope to see you again real soon.  

Have a really good evening all.

If you enjoyed the flight and our vist to Orsta-Volda, please let us now. Your Ipad has a "like" button and also room for short comments
with any suggestions you might have.  

Renault & the crew of FI 101
Cheers! 

xR0k7g3.jpg

Renault, so your other job is on the tourist bureau for small Norwegian towns, right? If not, then it should be :) What an delightfully entertaining narration and set of captures. I applaud your efforts with this post :) 

:lol:  That was excellent Renault!  I really enjoyed it and was cracking up.  Two of me?  Good grief, what's all the world needs! :wacko:

Those were some excellent shots, the narrative was superb, I felt like a passenger on that old DC-3.  I don't know which one was the best, they're all so good.  You really know how to show off Orbx's stuff my friend!  This is Orbx XP freeware?  Very cool indeed!

What a wonderful post R, I really enjoyed reading and looking at the wonderful scenery.:)

The DC-3 looks so smart in those colours and so much to discover on the ground but...……..:huh:

……….when are we going to see some images from Barton!:lol::banghead:

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, Martin Poole said:

Just  Fantastic Mate a real pleasure to read and view. Martin

Thanks Martin

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, Sniper31 said:

Renault, so your other job is on the tourist bureau for small Norwegian towns, right? If not, then it should be :) What an delightfully entertaining narration and set of captures. I applaud your efforts with this post :) 

Thanks Landon . I really appreciate your comment very much

See you

R

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:33 PM, Bermuda425 said:

Breathtaking shots indeed, thanks for this tour!

Thanks!

R

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:33 PM, jean marc said:

So funny Renault...the modern twist light, 2 Jacks, the runway...some many hilarious little things ... and with great shots   !! FABULOUS !!! 

Really pleased you liked this JM

Thank you

R

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:42 PM, lifejogger said:

Great introduction and narrative during the flight...…  The pictures look great and so dose XP.

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the little tale

Cheers!

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, mp1852 said:

Great idea, story and shots Renault!

Thank you

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

:lol:  That was excellent Renault!  I really enjoyed it and was cracking up.  Two of me?  Good grief, what's all the world needs! :wacko:

Those were some excellent shots, the narrative was superb, I felt like a passenger on that old DC-3.  I don't know which one was the best, they're all so good.  You really know how to show off Orbx's stuff my friend!  This is Orbx XP freeware?  Very cool indeed!

Thanks Jack. Yes it is Orbx freeware. It's very nicely done :)

Cheers!

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:01 PM, BradB said:

Simply outstanding Renault !! .

Cheers

John

Thank you John. It is really good to see you back:)

R

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, VH-KDK said:

What a wonderful post R, I really enjoyed reading and looking at the wonderful scenery.:)

The DC-3 looks so smart in those colours and so much to discover on the ground but...……..:huh:

……….when are we going to see some images from Barton!:lol::banghead:

Thank you Martyn.  Been working on it but you know, I hope that folks aren't getting bored and it isn't becoming a bit of :DeadHorse:

Cheers 

R

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:06 AM, sangsom said:

Kudos to Renault, the  corporate public relations director  of the Icelandic Air.

Right man in the right place.

Alongside his normal work he is making very nice screenshots.

Thank you very much:)

Cheers

Renault

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:45 AM, Taph said:

Great post, really enjoyed, kept looking but could not see the yellow range rover :huh:

Thank you Talf

It's a little bit of "Where's Waldo "... 16th screenshot , parked right behind the pickup truck at departures :)

Cheers

R

Wonderful stuff Renault! A great little scenario, and the shots you are getting from XP are truly breathtaking. I don't know what you're tweaking, but the light and colour tones are marvellous. Keep 'em coming!

Archived