Netherlands TrueEarth: The Afsluitdijk

HeKa48

The Afsluitdijk (English: Enclosure Dam) is a major causeway in the Netherlands, constructed between 1927 and 1932 and running from Den Oever on Wieringen in North Holland province, to the village of Zurich in Friesland province, over a length of 32 kilometres (20 mi) and a width of 90 metres (300 ft), at an initial height of 7.25 metres (23.8 ft) above sea level.
DVxgepa.jpg
1ZWWAqI.jpg
oDdFszi.jpg

Nice shots HeKa48, especially #3.

From which altitude was that shot taken?

It surprises me that the whole IJsselmeer and Markermeer can be seen but also ground details at Kornwerderzand....:huh:

-Fred-

1 hour ago, ikbenik said:

Great shots and a vast overview in 3rd shot in crispclear detail, very well done.

Where did you get the KLM-livery for the (I suppose payware Carenado) Beech Bonanza?

It is the default Prepar3D Beechcraft Bonanza A-36 by Carenado. KLM-livery at www.dutchfs.com. (Bonanza A-36 KLM Luchtvaartschool PH-BWA.)

Henk

15 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Nice shots HeKa48, especially #3.

From which altitude was that shot taken?

It surprises me that the whole IJsselmeer and Markermeer can be seen but also ground details at Kornwerderzand....:huh:

-Fred-

I think it was at 13,000-14,000 ft.

Henk

51 minutes ago, HeKa48 said:

I think it was at 13,000-14,000 ft.

Henk

Hi Henk,

You are looking a 80 km distance from the airplane's position to the other (South) end of the Markermeer......:huh:

Is that possible...? Yes, of course, the shot doesn't ly.......But, I find it remarkable.

-Fred-

3 hours ago, Sundancer said:

You are looking a 80 km distance from the airplane's position to the other (South) end of the Markermeer......:huh:

I thing as he was at 14000 ft altitude - meaning around 4000m - that the visible field is around 15-20km (not 80km)

33 minutes ago, jean marc said:

I thing as he was at 14000 ft altitude - meaning around 4000m - that the visible field is around 15-20km (not 80km)

That sounds realistic to me, Jean Marc.

The length of the Afsluitdijk is 30 km and can be seen completely!

Maybe Henk can give details how this shot was made.

Regards Fred

Astonishing place. There is a nice belvedere tower in the middle of the way where you can have a break and a drink in summer

20 hours ago, jean marc said:

How this? The distance to the horizon at 14'000ft is about 145 miles. Means: something around 200km (!). And usually, I set the view distance in my sim to 90 miles. Unless this is restricted further down due to real world weather conditions using a weather addon, you will see the full 90 miles inside your sim at 14'000ft...

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

The distance to the horizon at 14'000ft is about 145 miles. Means: something around 200km (!).

Hello ! Well I am very surprised by such distance of horizon visibility :o

That would mean that flying over my location (Liège belgium) I would be able to see the sea...and it is absolutely not the case at such altitude....:rolleyes:

Also to see Bruxelles at 100 km...Impossible ! :blink:

I would say again that the visibility would be of around 20-40 km maximum (of course the very far line of horizon could be a bit at more distance but you see nothing...)

I took a view from google map to show distances references...Between the 2 bridges lines of your last screenshot the distance would be of around 40 km ...

zUkvOJz.jpg

Maybe others experiences could confirm ?

Hi there,

here's one of those online horizon distance calculators: http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm

Obviously, atmospheric conditions usually limit the actual distances that can be seen at a given location but on clear days one can definitely see farther than just 20-40km at 14000ft. It's also important to realize that the landscape at far distances becomes visually compressed into a narrow band and thus it's usually not possible to distinguish features anymore unless they have unusual shapes or dimensions (mountains, large highrises or bridges, etc.). 

Something to keep in mind in FSX/P3D is that the high-detail landscape scenery that moves with the user aircraft doesn't extend to the horizon. Thus, with clear weather and at higher altitude one starts to see the ugly border to the low-resolution global satellite image, which is why restricting view distance does make sense.

Cheers, Holger

On ‎17‎-‎5‎-‎2018 at 8:11 AM, Richard Bui said:

Astonishing place. There is a nice belvedere tower in the middle of the way where you can have a break and a drink in summer

eIVEWZb.jpg

On ‎17‎-‎5‎-‎2018 at 8:11 AM, Richard Bui said:

0mgFARc.jpg

Archived