I won't say the obvious.

VH-KDK

A short early morning flight from VVCR Cam Ranh to Ho CHi Minh VVTS Tansonnhat Airport.

1.cn1.jpg

At Cam Ranh International Airport VVCR.

2.cn2.jpg

Heading out over Cam Ranh Bay regarded as being the best deep water shelter in SE Asia.

3.cn3.jpg

The popular tourist resort of Nha Trang is over the other side of the mountains.

4.cn4.jpg

Leaving Nha Trang Bay in the distance, regarded as one of the finest bays in the world.

5.cn5.jpg

Over Nihn Thuan province with the ocean on the horizon.

6.cn6.jpg

Fan Rang Bay can be seen under the tail to the left.

7.cn7.jpg

At Bao Loc

8.cn8.jpg

Into our descent and getting hazy.

9.cn9.jpg

Tri An Lake is paert of a hydro electric scheme and was finished in 1986.

10.cn10.jpg

Over the Saigon River at Phu oc Bin.

11.cn11.jpg

The runway now is sight and I will have learn to use the ILS on the A320 which would have made life a bit easier.

12.cn12.jpg

Made it safely down and very pleased with the manual landing.

Thanks for flying along.

Well the obvious is obviously that these are some fine shots of your flight Martyn!  It has been 50 years now since I was in Vietnam and Tonsonnhat was part of my regular truck route hauling aviation fuel (amoung other items) as a 5 ton tractor trailer driver for 9th Infantry Div, 9th Supply & Transportation, the specifics have long slipped my mind but I do remember having to get up early and staying late on those routes.  And of course it was called Saigon back then, I have a 2 x 3 full color map that I sent home in 1966 and it's still in really decent shape.

6 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Well the obvious is obviously that these are some fine shots of your flight Martyn!  It has been 50 years now since I was in Vietnam and Tonsonnhat was part of my regular truck route hauling aviation fuel (amoung other items) as a 5 ton tractor trailer driver for 9th Infantry Div, 9th Supply & Transportation, the specifics have long slipped my mind but I do remember having to get up early and staying late on those routes.  And of course it was called Saigon back then, I have a 2 x 3 full color map that I sent home in 1966 and it's still in really decent shape.

Cheers Rodger and that must have been a surprise for you, a pleasant one I hope.:D

I never get tired of hearing of peoples association with the places and planes we see on here, it is so interesting.:P

Like me I bet it makes you feel old when you say about things from 50 years ago and now I am remembering stuff from 60 years gone.:ph34r:

5 hours ago, BradB said:

Well I will state the obvious , these shots look amazing Martyn . And this just in , a news flash :

Cheers

John

Thanks John and cheers for the video of this wonderful movie and sadly missed actor.:(

5 hours ago, adambar said:

Obviously you put a lot of effort into these screenshots Martyn. :)

Thank you Adam, as usual I was on a tight schedule to complete this flight which I managed with 7 minutes to spare.:o

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Very nice tour Martyn, at first I thought you were pining for another country.  Well done and great narrative as always.

Thanks Jack and I am but not enough time to continue the flight on to my paradise.;)

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Cheers Rodger and that must have been a surprise for you, a pleasant one I hope.:D

I never get tired of hearing of peoples association with the places and planes we see on here, it is so interesting.:P

Like me I bet it makes you feel old when you say about things from 50 years ago and now I am remembering stuff from 60 years gone.:ph34r:

Just reading this makes me feel old!

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Just reading this makes me feel old!

Today I DO feel old Jack, it must be the predicted change in the weather and hopefully we will get the thunderstorms and predicted 10-20mm of rain later:)

5 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Do not see many flights in that part of the world,  nice shots and flight.  Although that is not how I remember it.

Thanks John, well it is an improvement on the default scenery but I agree that this part of the world is screaming out for OLC which hopefully will arrive in the not too distant future.:)

Anyway bit by bit the world is getting covered and it is a big place.:D

5 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

These are some really beautiful and equally interesting pictures. Thank you for letting us take part in your journey, Martyn.

Cheers Lars and you are most welcome aboard anytime!:)

Archived