MacRobertson Air Race leg 23 final leg..but

Jack Sawyer

After 24 legs and 11,287 miles I made it to Melbourne but was very disappointed to see it all sunken.  I posted in support and have no clue as how to fix this.  After all this time and effort this happens.  I can't tell you guys how disappointed I am.  :(

dX7AsKi.jpg

dU5Hrc3.jpg

wGos4u8.jpg

JdQtx41.jpg

gehp9XD.jpg

7OeoU23.jpg

uiO8L5E.jpg

kyUq2Wm.jpg

mYQ751Z.jpg

KAek65U.jpg

QtAlFiZ.jpg

epVFbrS.jpg

YMEN is fine.

bwcyMIs.jpg

Q5GtKyU.jpg

AXGJzKg.jpg

btmU7xy.jpg

qv3XudQ.jpg

9gDPPOu.jpg

8XiAj0U.jpg

lywrnXp.jpg

Too bad about your elevation problems at the end Jack , but this old saying you should take comfort in : 'It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.' . I applaud you my friend for taking on such a huge commitment of time . I have thoroughly enjoyed your journey around the world . :):)

Cheers

John

19 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

This has to be your best looking leg thus far Jack, and over some lovely Aussie scenery :) 

Thanks Landon!  It was a lot of fun.

3 minutes ago, BradB said:

Too bad about your elevation problems at the end Jack , but this old saying you should take comfort in : 'It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.' . I applaud you my friend for taking on such a huge commitment of time . I have thoroughly enjoyed your journey around the world . :):)

Cheers

John

Thanks John, very kind!  It's fixed now with Vetor Elevation.

Very wise words my friend.  It was a lot of commitment and time as every leg was flown in real time.  From London to Melbourne, I have been wanting to do this for a while.  It was super fun and I learned a lot and got to see some parts of the world I've never seen before.

Now to tour Switzerland.  I have a nice list of airports I want to fly to, it's an old list, goes back to FSX.

4 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Aaaaaargh... No, save the flight and reload it. Repeat the ending and forget about this elevation nightmare, it never happened.

I could always re-fly it.  But don't know if I want to, maybe tomorrow.

What an enthralling trip Jack but what a shame that you had elevation issues at the end.

You could have flown to YMEN as this was opened in the 20s with YMML opening to passenger traffic in 1970.

The actual air race finished at Flemmington Racecourse but I doubt if you could have got the Constellation down there.

Just now, VH-KDK said:

What an enthralling trip Jack but what a shame that you had elevation issues at the end.

You could have flown to YMEN as this was opened in the 20s with YMML opening to passenger traffic in 1970.

The actual air race finished at Flemmington Racecourse but I doubt if you could have got the Constellation down there.

Thanks Martyn, that's a good idea.  I might re-fly it tomorrow and land at YMEN.  But I gotta tell ya, it was a lot of work and discipline to do this.  It made me appreciate how much those guys went through, I can only imagine the harsh realities and logistics they had back then.

Well done Jack! :). I had exactly the same problem with YMML. Like you, I fixed it by running the orbx vector tool.

Now you have to come home :).

Do you -

1. Fly back?

2. Load your plane on a boat and sail back?

3. Use the slew function?

4. Restart the sim ;):D

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Martyn, that's a good idea.  I might re-fly it tomorrow and land at YMEN.  But I gotta tell ya, it was a lot of work and discipline to do this.  It made me appreciate how much those guys went through, I can only imagine the harsh realities and logistics they had back then.

That must have been crushing Jack.

Flying in real time and then to find your destination like this, I thought this type of thing only happened to me!

You have to remember that the Constellation was a big advance on the planes that took part in the original race in 1934.

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

That must have been crushing Jack.

Flying in real time and then to find your destination like this, I thought this type of thing only happened to me!

You have to remember that the Constellation was a big advance on the planes that took part in the original race in 1934.

Nope, if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all!  :wacko:

I agree, but I didn't have any planes that old so I used the Connie.

8 hours ago, adambar said:

Melbourne is a very unique airport Jack, look like you have your work cut out for you trying to get to the gate. :D  Anyway, wonderful trip and shots of it Jack, nice work! :)

Thanks Adam, it sure is in this condition, I think I need a backhoe to get to the gate! :lol:

5 hours ago, paulb said:

Well done Jack! :). I had exactly the same problem with YMML. Like you, I fixed it by running the orbx vector tool.

Now you have to come home :).

Do you -

1. Fly back?

2. Load your plane on a boat and sail back?

3. Use the slew function?

4. Restart the sim ;):D

Thanks Paul!  I was actually thinking of flying a 747 to KATL, not sure if I can do it on one tank of gas though, have to run it through PFPX.

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Paul!  I was actually thinking of flying a 747 to KATL, not sure if I can do it on one tank of gas though, have to run it through PFPX.

Now that sounds like a challenge Jack! :). Lots of autopilot I expect.

Good to see the beautiful Melbourne after such a long flight. And, in fact, i suffered the same troouble when I first arrived there in p3d, what a disappointment.

13 hours ago, adambar said:

Melbourne is a very unique airport Jack

Not only regarding the elevation (which needs manual correction in the Vector tool), but also with the runway lights (that seem to be 3 metres high). Some fixes that really should be done there...

5 hours ago, paulb said:

Now that sounds like a challenge Jack! :). Lots of autopilot I expect.

Yep, if I get the time, I might try it.

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Good to see the beautiful Melbourne after such a long flight. And, in fact, i suffered the same troouble when I first arrived there in p3d, what a disappointment.

Not only regarding the elevation (which needs manual correction in the Vector tool), but also with the runway lights (that seem to be 3 metres high). Some fixes that really should be done there...

Thanks Gerold!  I'm sure Orbx will fix all this in their new Australia when they get the time.  Not a big deal as Vector fixed it at least.  I never noticed the lights that high however.

In fact, your series on the MacRobertson made me read it on Wikipedia, which was quite interesting and brought long lost memories of FS2004 ACOF up again. In this title we were provided both with the DeHavilland Comet "Black Magic" as well as the "Grosvenor House", which in 1934 had won the race. And I remember flying the "Black Magic" from Germany to Istanbul. Fun how well I remember that one particular flight I made with this plane, and don't remember most of the tubeliner flights I made these days with the MS default airliners.

So thank you very much Jack for the series and the effort you made.

2 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

In fact, your series on the MacRobertson made me read it on Wikipedia, which was quite interesting and brought long lost memories of FS2004 ACOF up again. In this title we were provided both with the DeHavilland Comet "Black Magic" as well as the "Grosvenor House", which in 1934 had won the race. And I remember flying the "Black Magic" from Germany to Istanbul. Fun how well I remember that one particular flight I made with this plane, and don't remember most of the tubeliner flights I made these days with the MS default airliners.

So thank you very much Jack for the series and the effort you made.

Thank you Lars, quite nice of you to say and glad it brought back good memories.  I had that sim and loved it, my son and I would spend hours trying to land the Wright Flyer.

Congratulations, mate.....you did it !!

B.t.w. did you see the Dutch plane Uiver, which was second and won the overall handicap price ?

Anyway, here is the champion Jack sitting in his very comfortable flightdeck:

Cheers Fred

image.png.cd303fa408ef56495a7cc192464c0ed4.png

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Congratulations, mate.....you did it !!

B.t.w. did you see the Dutch plane Uiver, which was second and won the overall handicap price ?

Anyway, here is the champion Jack sitting in his very comfortable flightdeck:

Cheers Fred

image.png.cd303fa408ef56495a7cc192464c0ed4.png

Thanks Fred!  Yes, I saw that on the video and well done to them!  That's how I imagine I'd look if I were flying in that race back then. B)

2 hours ago, Taph said:

Congratulations, nice flight, and glad to hear you have sorted out your elevation problems

Thanks Taph!  Glad it's sorted too.

1 hour ago, Iain Emms said:

Great shots and well done.

cheers 

Iain 

Thank you Iain, it was fun.

Archived