Older FTX regions compared to newer

riverreveal

So with the sale I am looking at buying, for the first time, some regions and I have been reading reviews ect. I have been simming since Sepetember 2017 and own all the global products and have been really impressed.

One thing I have noticed is how old some of the NA regions are. I will most certainly be buying GES & GEN which I believe are relatively recent. I also want a couple of American ones which are far older. Will I notice a difference in quality to the newer German ones, or do Orbx regularly update the older regions with what I assume must be newer technologies. I am mostly looking at PNW (for the amount of freeware airports) and CRM as I have always had a fascination with Yellowstone.

Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks

I have them all and I would say the old regions are still great and I like them. One difference, all the more recent regions come with FTX enhanced airports which are not as good as separate ORBX airports but still quite enhanced, mostly just using default buildings. Some have also flows (running people etc.) integrated and I find them greatly improved, say, in GEN/GES where the default smaller airports are pretty boring.

Otherwise you can't go wrong buying  PNW, even more as a multitude of ORBX addon airports are situated there. One weak point has always been performance in the Seattle area (port and city). I could resolve this using a 3rd party Seattle addon.

Kind regards, Michael

To add to what Michael said above. all the Orbx Regions are very good looking and hold up well today. Some will say Australia is a little long in the tooth, but I still think it looks very good. PNW and CRM both look excellent even though they have been out for a few years. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Orbx Regions...they are my favorite places to fly, and even though I have all of the OpenLC packages as well as Global, I almost always fly within an Orbx Region. They are just that good. All of them have tons of custom POI's, included mesh (except AU), included vector data and all except AU have improved the default airports in some way.

7 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Some will say Australia is a little long in the tooth, but I still think it looks very good. .

I've never been in Australia, but I agree the scenery still has a lot of atmosphere, really dense autogen and great POIs. The default smaller airports are a bit meh, but there are a lot of ORBX (and some other) payware addons and you can install OZX airports, if you like.

I quite often fly there, in the Sydney and Melbourne regions as well as on the now enhanced Gold Coast.

Kind regards, Michael

In places, remote places, Orbx AU region shows that it is the sewn together version of the original 4 regions.  But along the coasts (I use Vector) it is beaut, with some great airports and the Gold Coast cityscape.  YBBN and YMML are masterpieces. Frankly it is a must-have still, and the Alice Springs airport from Orbx sets the dusty, ochre tone of the Australian ‘outback’.

From there Orbx has just continued to build-in new techniques.  Global, Vector, the Regions and airports - betterer and betterer to quote my grandkids.

One thing I've noted in flying truly isolated areas is that the quality of close-up detail goes way down--almost like the old, original FSX tiles. This doesn't bother me too much. I really don't expect ORBX to have high-quality tundra around Barrow, but it will be nice when the whole world has that special ORBX detail.

On ‎8‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, macca22au said:

"  But along the coasts (I use Vector) it is beaut, with some great airports and the Gold Coast cityscape.  "

Hey Macca......

You mention that you use "vector" to enhance the coasts..... presumably this is with the AUS regions (consolidated package) installed. 

Is there any down side to running "vector" with the AUS region?  Have you also got Global Base up and running concurrently?

I've got all of Oceania installed, but was wondering if the coasts could be improved with "Vector".

Greetings to all

Dear riverreveal

First product I bought was PNW. It is such a great area for flying, and I also have the two third party addons for Seatlle Michael mentions. The area is fantastic

5aa623017aa21_DesktopScreenshot2017_12.31-23_15_20_77.thumb.png.07bff4e7217e3c6d3f53e795ffbba4f2.png

5aa6232f8807c_DesktopScreenshot2017_12.31-23_14_03_94.thumb.png.d0d20cded2e5d12d2e9b199399c7bf5a.png

I understand that being so many products out there in Orbx site, sometimes it is difficult to decide when you have to choose, mainly to profit such discounts!

I was between Pacific Fjords and  GES, bought Germany South the day before yesterday and I liked it too, but areas are indeed quite different so the experice in each ones gives a different sensation. And as the song goes, Pacific Fjords  is always on my mind. It will be next one I thunk.

But you know what, as you showed interest in both North & South Germany I would suggest you to buy them as newer they are, and download the DEMO for PNW, so you can try it/test it and see if your expectations are exceeded.

Buying Orbx is expensive for me, a day salary or even more but I don't regreat a dime I'm totally happy with the products and don't feel them aged, so I hope once you get your PNW you will end with the same sensation as me :-)

Happy flying

Cheers

@carlosqr 

Thank you for your comprehensive post. I took the plunge and bought all the regions I mentioned in my first post: GEN, GES, PNW, and CRM and so far love them all.

To my eyes I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any of the regions in relation of quality and age. Yesterday I flew from Munich to Innsbruck via the beautiful Neuschwanstein Castle in GES. I followed that up with a flight from West Wind to Squamish in PNW. I purchased some airports as well. Both flights were simply stunning and were on a on a far superior level in terms of enjoyment and capturing the sensation of place, to any flights I had experienced with just OpenLC.

Thank you everyone for your input!

tom:  I have found that Vector improves the Aus region coastline.  Look for a feature you know well, like a river-mouth, estuary, or port to see the improvement.  For me,  Vector improved the Broadwater near Southport Qld, although the new Gold Coast Cityscape is hugely better.

Dear riverreveal

I'm pleased you went for all of them.

" were on a on a far superior level in terms of enjoyment and capturing the sensation of place " Absolutely! This is addictive jaja

I enjoy it so much, and now they will be making cities I just can't wait for those.

I need to get myself a copy of North Germany though GES looked more scenic, as I like landscapes a lot I went for that one first.

Have a great day

Cheers

2 hours ago, pmb said:

I use Drzewiecki Design Seattle City. It also provides great performance. Can be used together with FTX PNW.

Kind regards, Michael

I agree. it can be used along with KSEA from Taxi2Gate as well.

Greg

On 12/03/2018 at 5:29 PM, macca22au said:

tom:  I have found that Vector improves the Aus region coastline.  Look for a feature you know well, like a river-mouth, estuary, or port to see the improvement.  For me,  Vector improved the Broadwater near Southport Qld, although the new Gold Coast Cityscape is hugely better.

Australia may be old and long overdue an update but it still stands up well with a few extras added to it. 

I use Orbx Global base, vector, trees, australia region, holgermesh, almost all Orbx Australia airports and OzX.

For me the combination of installing vector and OzX makes all the difference and allows me to fly VFR around western australia with more accurate coastlines for sure; but also with accurate roads, railway line, power lines and with OzX..... the dams, and small airstrips not covered by Orbx.

I'm eagerly awaiting an Australia overhaul, but I'm also happy with what we have from Orbx right now :)

PMB and Greg:

Thanks for your courteous reply. I bought PNW when it first came out (well, I live here) and have thought it was suffering from some aging compared with other newer areas that have been released. I think your suggestions will help, considering the changes in the region in the intervening years.

Archive82

9 hours ago, tmarshall said:

I use Orbx Global base, vector, trees, australia region, holgermesh, almost all Orbx Australia airports and OzX.

Sounds interesting. Do you find there are any incompatibilities or problems running all these together. Is there a down side at all??

I'm running all of the above very well, except for global and vector, but the fact that Orbx  recommends turning vector off for the Aus Region, and even provides an easy way to do this, has me a bit twitchy about running it with Aus.  Cheers 

Hey Tom:  I run the lot and always forget to turn Vector off.  The problem I think is rapidly changing techniques. 

Tom being an old Coot, I forget to turn any unnecessary scenery off which I know causes a drag...instead I just upgrade my CPU and graphic cards when I can, along with SSDs and the best motherboard I can afford.  Incidentally, in spite of the glowering Nick's warning FT Sydney runs well with the Orbx  layers.  I will buy the Orbx version if they choose to make it.

In earlier days if Orbx made it I bought it.  I use all the Orbx Global versions and never turn any off and still love the scenery, and being a low and slow flyer gives me a good look too.  I still only buy Orbx, as it's the best but not quite as many as I used too as Amateur radio, my other hobby, often needs updating equipment.

However, yes all Global products, run great together, that's what I have found anyway.

Cheers, all.

Jim

On 12/03/2018 at 4:45 AM, riverreveal said:

@carlosqr 

Thank you for your comprehensive post. I took the plunge and bought all the regions I mentioned in my first post: GEN, GES, PNW, and CRM and so far love them all.

To my eyes I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any of the regions in relation of quality and age. Yesterday I flew from Munich to Innsbruck via the beautiful Neuschwanstein Castle in GES. I followed that up with a flight from West Wind to Squamish in PNW. I purchased some airports as well. Both flights were simply stunning and were on a on a far superior level in terms of enjoyment and capturing the sensation of place, to any flights I had experienced with just OpenLC.

Thank you everyone for your input!

Well done you. You will never regret your decision and will have countless hours of enjoyment.:D

On 14/03/2018 at 7:45 AM, tom said:

Sounds interesting. Do you find there are any incompatibilities or problems running all these together. Is there a down side at all??

I'm running all of the above very well, except for global and vector, but the fact that Orbx  recommends turning vector off for the Aus Region, and even provides an easy way to do this, has me a bit twitchy about running it with Aus.  Cheers 

Tom, I never turn any scenery off including vector and I haven't noticed any issues...I just make sure that I have the option ticked for having Australia installed is set, and that each time I install anything from ORBX, I just re-run the airport elevation corrections. 

Terry  

Archived