Changing the seasons

Stillwater

After I installed p3dv4 I have checked it in New Zealand. Then I went over to Australia and tested it with a higher number of Orbx airports and OZx. Extended the test to FTs Sydney and - on the way back to Europe - to some East Asia 3rd party airports. After a short stopover in Old Europe I now HAVE to check another "recent" Orbx purchase, that I did not use since it arrived on my HD...

That means a long-range plane needs to be prepared in Frankfurt...

2018-3-3_14-43-47-380.jpg

Here we go, into the easterly winds. Perhaps you may already guess where this will be going to?
2018-3-3_15-24-58-536.jpg

The snow between the runways was removed very carefully by the ground staff today.
2018-3-3_15-25-42-474.jpg

No smog, just some low-lying clouds over Mainhattan.
2018-3-3_15-27-11-972.jpg

German fields should already be turning into green. As I told you GES is a bit ahead of real time.
2018-3-3_15-35-57-914.jpg

Bordeaux. OLC at its finest.

2018-3-3_16-7Bordeaux.jpg

Biarritz and the biscayan coast.

2018-3-3_16-17-2-305.jpg

As I fly on official airways, some close encounters cannot be avoided.

2018-3-3_16-20Traffic.jpg

The beautiful San Sebastian, without Simzaleaks freeware (yet...).

2018-3-3_16-21-25-139.jpg

The atlantic coast of Portugal - goodbye Europe!

2018-3-3_16-52-31-372.jpg

No good day for flying, see this headwind! It went even stronger before my FMC woke me up with "insufficient fuel". At least I could get some more fuel from the fridge and stay relaxed...

2018-3-3_16-53Headwind.jpg

Crossing the Canaries...
2018-3-3_17-23Canaries.jpg

... and the equator, ...

2018-3-3_18-42Equator.jpg

... before getting South America into view. From the previous picture you can see the wind direction has changed to tailwind. Now I get the fuel back that I had to "pay" in the northern Passat zone - and it will carry me to my destination.

2018-3-3_19-22-31-244.jpg

Tropical clouds can look good as well.

2018-3-3_19-34-23-63.jpg

But underneath the cloud layer, on base, SBNT Natal was visible.

2018-3-3_19-45Natal.jpg

I am not sure if some photoreal pops up here...

2018-3-3_19-49-56-694.jpg

The runway is short, but we´ll make it!!

2018-3-3_19-53-36-566.jpg

Ok, let´s get off for immigration in Brazil. OLC SA we come!

2018-3-3_20-2SBNT.jpg

Thanks, @Taph, @Doc Scott and @Bermuda425 !

30 minutes ago, paulb said:

Well done Gerold! Great shots and narrative of a 'serious' flight. What is the distance? About 6,000 miles?  A fair bit of autopilot I assume? :)

The distance is "just" 4093 miles (w/o SID and STAR), thanks to Natal being in the very north of this country. But indeed some hours of autopilot & time-compression (PMDG 4*), except watching for the 2 step-climbs.

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

The distance is "just" 4093 miles (w/o SID and STAR), thanks to Natal being in the very north of this country. But indeed some hours of autopilot & time-compression (PMDG 4*), except watching for the 2 step-climbs.

A poor guess on my part Gerold :huh:. I have flown a few times from London Heathrow to Johannesburg. Almost directly south. Back in those days we would stop off half way! :D

A highly absorbing post Gerold, I really enjoyed your flight and narration.

We are very lucky in FSim to have inflight refuelling, I have used it on many occasions.

They are very efficient at Frankfurt too seeing how they have cleared both the trees and the snow from the airport.:lol:

Thank you, @Iain Emms and @Jack Sawyer !

8 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Nice shots, Gerold, and thanks for the mention of Simzaleak - I'd not heard of them before

I used to have his freeware installed in FSX and it was brilliant. Did not test it in 64 bit yet...

7 hours ago, BradB said:

Tremendous shots from your trip to SA Gerold . :):)

Cheers

John

Thanks, John. I am back on your continent, but more than a little hop away.

7 hours ago, paulb said:

A poor guess on my part Gerold :huh:. I have flown a few times from London Heathrow to Johannesburg. Almost directly south. Back in those days we would stop off half way! :D

That´s quite a distance, surprising how big Africa gets... Stop half way - has there been a suitable airport for big airliners?

6 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Well super set of shots Gerold  and i enjoyed you flight i bet it took you some time to complete  the flight regards EMM

Indeed it took, Stewart. But the sim tricks helped a bit...

2 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

All in the name of testing Gerold :) A nice string of shots here showcasing your long haul trip. 

All in the name of testing, as you say it, Landon :D!

39 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

We are very lucky in FSim to have inflight refuelling, I have used it on many occasions.

They are very efficient at Frankfurt too seeing how they have cleared both the trees and the snow from the airport.:lol:

The trees had to be cleaned off by the Dash pilot who came in surprisingly yesterday. Now he needs to go for vacation in South America.

Re the fuel indication: Thanks to the tailwind south of the ITC I did not even have to refuel. A better sim calculation would have known this in advance...

31 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

That´s quite a distance, surprising how big Africa gets... Stop half way - has there been a suitable airport for big airliners?

I

Nairobi (now Jomo Kenyatta International Airport) in Kenya Gerold.

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I  read that you can refuel like real planes but never tried it.  Would be a challenge.

24 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I  read that you can refuel like real planes but never tried it.  Would be a challenge.

The JF Tristar has a tanker version but I never got as far as seeing how much works on it:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, VH-KDK said:

The JF Tristar has a tanker version but I never got as far as seeing how much works on it:rolleyes:

I am very close to buying the professional version.  And yeah, I saw that but wouldn't you need someone else to fly online with you?  Wonder how that might work or if it's even possible.

But I'm gonna hold off on buying, I keep hoping Orbx will release another gem any day. :)

Just now, Jack Sawyer said:

I am very close to buying the professional version.  And yeah, I saw that but wouldn't you need someone else to fly online with you?  Wonder how that might work or if it's even possible.

But I'm gonna hold off on buying, I keep hoping Orbx will release another gem any day. :)

I am buying too much for the Macaw at the moment so I have not been able to buy anything for the sim of late indeed the L1011 was the last thing.:lol:

2 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

I am buying too much for the Macaw at the moment so I have not been able to buy anything for the sim of late indeed the L1011 was the last thing.:lol:

I know what you mean, I like to save my money for Orbx stuff.  I think this will be a good year for them and a bad year for my wallet! :lol:  But what the heck else am I gonna buy?

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I know what you mean, I like to save my money for Orbx stuff.  I think this will be a good year for them and a bad year for my wallet! :lol:  But what the heck else am I gonna buy?

Exactly Jack, I will have an ORBX spending spree later when the current flurry of other necessities have all been brought.

I do think that I have enough sceneries and planes  to tide me over until later!:unsure::o:lol:

15 hours ago, adambar said:

Sensational flight and shots Gerold! :)

Thank you, Adam!

19 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That would be another manifestation of the Sawyer virus: Refuelling a jet in flight. With passengers on bord...

16 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Exactly Jack, I will have an ORBX spending spree later when the current flurry of other necessities have all been brought.

I do think that I have enough sceneries and planes  to tide me over until later!:unsure::o:lol:

I feel like you, Martyn: Get all the stuff that has proven valuable ported into p3d with all the eventual necessities. Alongside with testing, testing, testing and rediscovering all those gems in the new look. And then... if desire comes... have the credit card ready (and the minister of finance calm).

2 minutes ago, Sammy H said:

Quite the lesson on this trip Gerold, WOW!

Thanks for sharing.  This type of long haul is something I usually post up here :lol:  Good to see I have a counterpart now!

Haha, thank you for this comment, Sammy! A surprising learning, indeed - and I would love to have an FMC or a fuel planning program that could foresee these enormous wind differences.

I need to have a look at your upcoming long-haul posts!

14 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

That would be another manifestation of the Sawyer virus: Refuelling a jet in flight. With passengers on bord...

People would pay good money to see that, I'd have to have a camera in the cockpit so they could watch! B)

Archived