Week end away

VH-KDK

After watching Rick Stein's Week End Away in Palermo I thought it was time I did a serious flight in a country I have very rarely flown in.

This flight is from Punta Raisi LICJ to Terme LICA.

OLC EU, Trees, Vector, P3DV4, Virtualcol CRJ, REX TD EE, PTA Adams preset REX version.

1.pm1.jpg

I am not sure where this CRJ200 is from but the colours are to my liking. Getting ready for the short flight to Terme Airport.

2.pm2.jpg

Exiting Punta Raisi with the impressive Monte Pecoraro above the CRJ.

3.pm3.jpg

Turning east with Agliandroni-paternella partially hidden under the clouds.

4.pm4.jpg

Over Palermo before beginning the over water part of the journey.

5.pm5.jpg

Over the Golfo de Termini with the Pizzo Carbonara just visible in through the haze.

6.pm6.jpg

Approaching two of the Aeolian Islands of Lipari and Vulcano

7.pm7.jpg

Ilosa Salina is on the far right which is another of the Aeolian Islands.

8.pm8.jpg

Approaching the coast of Calabria at Golfo  de Gioia.

9.pm9.jpg

Coming into Tarme at Vena de Maida.

10.pm10.jpg

Too many domestic interruptions on approach meant for a hard landing. We have promised to replace all of the passengers fillings that were loosened but the poor touch down.

Took a long time to get to Italy but the scenery that I have seen so far is magnificent and well worth the visit.

6 hours ago, paulb said:

Great series Martyn!  I must say it again - you have got your settings just right! :)

For info, SCAT Airlines is from Kazakhstan. :D

Cheers Paul, glad you liked them and thanks for the SCAT info. I forgot to look it up.:rolleyes:

Great narration as always, and the Monte Pecorino on depart looks great.

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

We have promised to replace all of the passengers fillings that were loosened but the poor touch down.

That is the difference to Ryan Air, they never offer to replace or compansate any harm unless forced by justice. MartynAir seems to be a better choice!

4 hours ago, stewart1 said:

What a super set of screen shots Martyn and I hope all the passengers where ok I hope you do not have to pay any compensation out I hope you have good insurance .

I like the aircraft well it has a little bit of blue in it regards stewart 

Thanks Stewart. The pilot moonlights as a dentist and after that bad landing he is not busy with the airline for the next few weeks!

It is a rather attractive paint scheme.

3 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Great narration as always, and the Monte Pecorino on depart looks great.

That is the difference to Ryan Air, they never offer to replace or compansate any harm unless forced by justice. MartynAir seems to be a better choice!

Thanks Gerold, not bad for OLC is it?

MartynAir (which used to exist in FS9) is the first class choice. Never cancel dozens of flights, and all the crew are smartly turned out in red dresses, yes all the crew!:huh::o:wub:

1 minute ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks Gerold, not bad for OLC is it?

MartynAir (which used to exist in FS9) is the first class choice. Never cancel dozens of flights, and all the crew are smartly turned out in red dresses, yes all the crew!:huh::o:wub:

Indeed OLC is a huge step forward, worth every penny.

MartynAir of today seems to be worth every penny too, with a decent dress code for all the crew. :D

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Shame that can't spell your name correctly Martyn. But it is a bit red! ;):D

MWbXipq.jpg

2 hours ago, paulb said:

Shame that can't spell your name correctly Martyn. But it is a bit red! ;):D

MWbXipq.jpg

WHAT a beautiful jet. In my opinion, for what it's worth, this is the most beautiful machine mankind has ever created.  Even better than Corvettes.  I have always loved the way they look, loved flying on them, love the history of their creation, and the evolution of them all the way up to the -8.  I don't think we'll ever see another iconic aircraft so recognizable as this jet.  It will be a sad day when they're all cycled out or in the boneyard at Davis Monthan.  Maybe by then I can afford to buy one to live in.  Imagine living in one?

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

WHAT a beautiful jet. In my opinion, for what it's worth, this is the most beautiful machine mankind has ever created.  Even better than Corvettes.  I have always loved the way they look, loved flying on them, love the history of their creation, and the evolution of them all the way up to the -8.  I don't think we'll ever see another iconic aircraft so recognizable as this jet.  It will be a sad day when they're all cycled out or in the boneyard at Davis Monthan.  Maybe by then I can afford to buy one to live in.  Imagine living in one?

I am with you on that Jack! Quite an amazing aeroplane. I can still remember my first flight in one. ;):)

1 minute ago, paulb said:

I am with you on that Jack! Quite an amazing aeroplane. I can still remember my first flight in one. ;):)

Mine was from San Fransisco on a Pan Am Clipper.  Military must-ride fare but they were overbooked so they asked me if I wanted first class!  I was 19 years old.  Gosh was I pampered!  I sat in the lower deck, very first seat on the left side.  From Frisco to Seattle to pick up passengers then over the North Pole to London.  Will never ever forget that flight.

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Mine was from San Fransisco on a Pan Am Clipper.  Military must-ride fare but they were overbooked so they asked me if I wanted first class!  I was 19 years old.  Gosh was I pampered!  I sat in the lower deck, very first seat on the left side.  From Frisco to Seattle to pick up passengers then over the North Pole to London.  Will never ever forget that flight.

Mine was London to Johannesburg (SA). It is the only time that I have flown so far in an almost North to South direction. Great flight! I remember wondering at the time if the aircraft would actually take off! :D

6 minutes ago, paulb said:

Mine was London to Johannesburg (SA). It is the only time that I have flown so far in an almost North to South direction. Great flight! I remember wondering at the time if the aircraft would actually take off! :D

Wow!  Now that's one long flight.  I could imagine, with that kind of weight in fuel it must have taken forever to rotate!

Just now, Jack Sawyer said:

Wow!  Now that's one long flight.  I could imagine, with that kind of weight in fuel it must have taken forever to rotate!

At that time, it was my longest flight in the biggest aircraft that I had been in. Lots of people and cargo which they seemed to be loading forever!

And yes, it did take a long time to rotate! :o:D

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

1 hour ago, paulb said:

Okay guys, you probably won't believe this story of mine, but it is indeed true. Now, not my first flight on a 747, but what I am about to tell you was on a 747. My unit and I were on our way to a certain country in the Middle East, and loaded on a 747 from Ft. Campbell KY with a fuel stop and crew change in Shannon Ireland, then on to said country in the Middle East. My platoon got tasked to load all of our unit's 'cargo' on the plane before we left Ft. Campbell, so our Commander let us all sit in first class for the first half of the flight, to Shannon. After takeoff, the Captain of the flight announced that anyone that would like to come sit in the cockpit for a little bit could come up, two at a time. Now, as everyone on this plane was in the U.S. Army and this flight was a military charter, there were no real security issues with doing this. I mean, we were all Light Infantry guys on the plane, from a very respected unit, on our way to do something difficult. Anyhow, after that announcement, of course I was like "oh yea! I'm going up there!" Surprising, no one else really wanted to hang out in the cockpit that long, so the air crew told me I could hang out as long as I wanted. Somewhere over the Atlantic, I actually got to eat my breakfast in the co-pilot seat of a 747! No joke! I was in flight sim heaven! I am sure the crew was getting tired of my relentless questions, but they never acted like that. They were very helpful and nice, and I made absolutely sure not to touch a thing! Now, once we got near Shannon, I naturally assumed that I would have to go back and buckle in to my first class seat. However, the crew asked if I would like to stay in the cockpit for landing. Can you guys guess what my face looked like? Of course I did not get to sit in the co-pilot seat for that, but I did get to sit in one of the fold down seats behind the pilot. I got to sit like that all the way down to landing and taxi. Such an amazing experience, and hands down the best way I ever started a military deployment. Coming down to the runway in the overcast morning at Shannon, seeing those runway lights for real, not from a simulator, right out the front window of a 747, was a remarkable experience that any fan of flight simulation would love. I was so happy and grateful, and the crew was apparently equally happy to have a Grunt asking so many technical questions and being so interested in the whole flight process. 

Just thought I would share that with you all since we are on the subject of 747's :)

14 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Okay guys, you probably won't believe this story of mine, but it is indeed true. Now, not my first flight on a 747, but what I am about to tell you was on a 747. My unit and I were on our way to a certain country in the Middle East, and loaded on a 747 from Ft. Campbell KY with a fuel stop and crew change in Shannon Ireland, then on to said country in the Middle East. My platoon got tasked to load all of our unit's 'cargo' on the plane before we left Ft. Campbell, so our Commander let us all sit in first class for the first half of the flight, to Shannon. After takeoff, the Captain of the flight announced that anyone that would like to come sit in the cockpit for a little bit could come up, two at a time. Now, as everyone on this plane was in the U.S. Army and this flight was a military charter, there were no real security issues with doing this. I mean, we were all Light Infantry guys on the plane, from a very respected unit, on our way to do something difficult. Anyhow, after that announcement, of course I was like "oh yea! I'm going up there!" Surprising, no one else really wanted to hang out in the cockpit that long, so the air crew told me I could hang out as long as I wanted. Somewhere over the Atlantic, I actually got to eat my breakfast in the co-pilot seat of a 747! No joke! I was in flight sim heaven! I am sure the crew was getting tired of my relentless questions, but they never acted like that. They were very helpful and nice, and I made absolutely sure not to touch a thing! Now, once we got near Shannon, I naturally assumed that I would have to go back and buckle in to my first class seat. However, the crew asked if I would like to stay in the cockpit for landing. Can you guys guess what my face looked like? Of course I did not get to sit in the co-pilot seat for that, but I did get to sit in one of the fold down seats behind the pilot. I got to sit like that all the way down to landing and taxi. Such an amazing experience, and hands down the best way I ever started a military deployment. Coming down to the runway in the overcast morning at Shannon, seeing those runway lights for real, not from a simulator, right out the front window of a 747, was a remarkable experience that any fan of flight simulation would love. I was so happy and grateful, and the crew was apparently equally happy to have a Grunt asking so many technical questions and being so interested in the whole flight process. 

Just thought I would share that with you all since we are on the subject of 747's :)

Landon that was great!  What a cool story and a dream come true.  The way you described it in such vivid detail made me feel like I was there and I could share your enthusiasm.  

Great set of images Martyn, impressive scenery. I elected to get the Virtualcol CRJ also, nice selection of liveries. I like this particular one too! 

Back 15 yrs ago in a previous job, I flew these every week.

7 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

You were one lucky guy Sniper! A great experience! :)

Apologies Martyn, my 747 pic seems to have taken your thread a bit off topic. :unsure:

Archived