Week end away

VH-KDK

15 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Martyn:D. Paul: lol Martinair good one I'll send a sign painter tomorrow to fix the misspelling of his name:lol:.  

Thanks for that, maybe he could bring some blue paint too.:)

14 hours ago, Stillwater said:

PS: Interesting to see Martynair not only had passenger aircraft, but also has the correct uniform colour. Maybe Martyn has some secret in his past?

martinair-uniforms-martinairlr.jpg

The secret is well and truly out and you would be surprised just what Martynair had. 

Very interesting to see how the uniforms have changed over time.

Great pic Gerold.

11 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Okay guys, you probably won't believe this story of mine, but it is indeed true. Now, not my first flight on a 747, but what I am about to tell you was on a 747. My unit and I were on our way to a certain country in the Middle East, and loaded on a 747 from Ft. Campbell KY with a fuel stop and crew change in Shannon Ireland, then on to said country in the Middle East. My platoon got tasked to load all of our unit's 'cargo' on the plane before we left Ft. Campbell, so our Commander let us all sit in first class for the first half of the flight, to Shannon. After takeoff, the Captain of the flight announced that anyone that would like to come sit in the cockpit for a little bit could come up, two at a time. Now, as everyone on this plane was in the U.S. Army and this flight was a military charter, there were no real security issues with doing this. I mean, we were all Light Infantry guys on the plane, from a very respected unit, on our way to do something difficult. Anyhow, after that announcement, of course I was like "oh yea! I'm going up there!" Surprising, no one else really wanted to hang out in the cockpit that long, so the air crew told me I could hang out as long as I wanted. Somewhere over the Atlantic, I actually got to eat my breakfast in the co-pilot seat of a 747! No joke! I was in flight sim heaven! I am sure the crew was getting tired of my relentless questions, but they never acted like that. They were very helpful and nice, and I made absolutely sure not to touch a thing! Now, once we got near Shannon, I naturally assumed that I would have to go back and buckle in to my first class seat. However, the crew asked if I would like to stay in the cockpit for landing. Can you guys guess what my face looked like? Of course I did not get to sit in the co-pilot seat for that, but I did get to sit in one of the fold down seats behind the pilot. I got to sit like that all the way down to landing and taxi. Such an amazing experience, and hands down the best way I ever started a military deployment. Coming down to the runway in the overcast morning at Shannon, seeing those runway lights for real, not from a simulator, right out the front window of a 747, was a remarkable experience that any fan of flight simulation would love. I was so happy and grateful, and the crew was apparently equally happy to have a Grunt asking so many technical questions and being so interested in the whole flight process. 

Just thought I would share that with you all since we are on the subject of 747's :)

13 hours ago, paulb said:

Mine was London to Johannesburg (SA). It is the only time that I have flown so far in an almost North to South direction. Great flight! I remember wondering at the time if the aircraft would actually take off! :D

13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Mine was from San Fransisco on a Pan Am Clipper.  Military must-ride fare but they were overbooked so they asked me if I wanted first class!  I was 19 years old.  Gosh was I pampered!  I sat in the lower deck, very first seat on the left side.  From Frisco to Seattle to pick up passengers then over the North Pole to London.  Will never ever forget that flight.

WOnderful memories and stories here, great stuff.

My first 747 flight was on BA G-AWNO from LHR to YMML via Bahrein, KL, Singapore, Sydney and then to Melbourne. This was in 1981 when we emigrated to Oz and it was the first time on a wide bodied jet and only my second jet flight. Two crap movies on the shared screen, the audio entertainment was good but looped every 2 hours. It was a surreal experience as there was no return flight to the country I had lived in for 27 years. Also seeing the lights of Germany, we did not do the scheduled stop at Frankfurt, the Bosphorus Bridge looked incredible at night and we had to remain seated at Bahrein. Changi had only been opened a few weeks and as we went down the steps I marvelled at the heat of the engines. It was 19:30 and when we got off the bus at the terminal it was still very hot. We of course never got heat like this so late in the day in the UK. Travelled on many more 742s and 744s over the years and they are a special plane.

9 hours ago, BradB said:

I only flew the Queen once on a charter out of Vancouver BC over to HNL in 1986 . After the second Mai Tai I have no further memory of the flight . :o:wacko::lol:

Cheers

John

I am lucky John as I don't need drink to forget things.:lol::lol:

9 hours ago, mikewies said:

Great set of images Martyn, impressive scenery. I elected to get the Virtualcol CRJ also, nice selection of liveries. I like this particular one too! 

Back 15 yrs ago in a previous job, I flew these every week.

Cheers Mike, we had them operated by Kendell flying into Mildura. Those are the only CRJs I have ever seen.

8 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Nice set!  My longest flight was in FS2002 on a Vatsim Server event, 11 hours in a real world Delta Airlines Recreation from Italy to Georgia!  Long flight!  Still want to do one in Prepar3d like that some day again hopefully soon.  

Thanks Johnny, that is one long flight.:)

7 hours ago, adambar said:

Wonderful series of shots Martyn, I like flying around Palermo! :)

Thank You Adam, this is my first time there but it appears to be a wonderful place to fly, just right for ORBX to do an Italy region!

5 hours ago, paulb said:

You were one lucky guy Sniper! A great experience! :)

Apologies Martyn, my 747 pic seems to have taken your thread a bit off topic. :unsure:

Hey no problem at all Paul. This has generated some wonderful conversation which is what the forums should be about.

Thanks everybody for your memories and input.:)

Sorry if I have missed anyone.

12 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

However, the crew asked if I would like to stay in the cockpit for landing. Can you guys guess what my face looked like?

Fantastic story, Sniper, I can easily feel with you. Perfect to go to job with a big smile on your face.

Archived