This has nothing to do with ORBX but.....

Triplane

.....I just want to tell everyone in the path of Irma to be safe. The eye of the storm is probably going to pass over my location but we're as ready as we can be. To all those in Florida and the surrounding areas I can only say, be safe and remember that we've been here before and this too shall pass..........Doug

Good luck, Doug.  I have two daughters and families on the East coast of South Florida.  They are as ready as can be, but we pray for them and everyone else in the path of Irma.  I have been through several hurricanes on the East Coast and it is no fun.

I have many friends in Florida that will most likely be affected by this, including my extended Orbx friends here. I have them all in my thoughts, and I have been constantly monitoring the situation. Stay safe all.

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Honestly I think those with the solid infrastructure of the states are relatively safe, compared to those in Haiti, St. Maarten, Barbuda or the other poor islands to the east. They are just not as popular in the social networks.

You'll just have to trust me on this one. When you have a Cat. 4 or 5 hurricane there is nothing that is "safe" regardless of where you are. Until you have personally lived through one of these storms you have no idea what "safe" or "relatively safe" means..........Doug

9 hours ago, Triplane said:

You'll just have to trust me on this one. When you have a Cat. 4 or 5 hurricane there is nothing that is "safe" regardless of where you are. Until you have personally lived through one of these storms you have no idea what "safe" or "relatively safe" means..........Doug

You are totally right, a tern like "relatively safe" is inadequate in this categogy. I just wanted to point out that Florida gets lot more awareness due to social media or news thanthose areas that have already been destroyed.

Keep my fingers crossed all affected people are being secured.

Hello,

an interesting point, though the BBC in the UK has been giving us blow by blow accounts of the passage of the hurricane as the

main headline since its first landfall.

Probably it's a matter of perspective, the world can look very different, depending on where you are and the nature of

the media there, whether social or not.

Personally, I regret the passing of the time when a man or woman in a suit sat behind a desk on TV and simply told us

what  was happening.

Of course, it was sometimes what someone else had decided that we needed to know.

I regret even more the apparent need to wheel onto the TV or radio a series of experts who then try to tell us what to think about it all.

I wish everyone in the path of this and the other irresistible forces of mother nature nothing but the best of fortune.

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

You are totally right, a tern like "relatively safe" is inadequate in this categogy. I just wanted to point out that Florida gets lot more awareness due to social media or news thanthose areas that have already been destroyed.

Keep my fingers crossed all affected people are being secured.

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

an interesting point, though the BBC in the UK has been giving us blow by blow accounts of the passage of the hurricane as the

main headline since its first landfall.

Probably it's a matter of perspective, the world can look very different, depending on where you are and the nature of

the media there, whether social or not.

Personally, I regret the passing of the time when a man or woman in a suit sat behind a desk on TV and simply told us

what  was happening.

Of course, it was sometimes what someone else had decided that we needed to know.

I regret even more the apparent need to wheel onto the TV or radio a series of experts who then try to tell us what to think about it all.

I wish everyone in the path of this and the other irresistible forces of mother nature nothing but the best of fortune.

It's for these reasons why I research my information and related news from as many sources as possible. Nowadays, I mostly use the internet, but I am very selective. I really don't like opinions from 'news sources' on TV or in newspapers as I want to form my own opinion based on the facts that I gather through diligent research. As for social media, flight sim forums like this one are about the only social media I use, and for obvious reasons, they are not my main source of World news. For example, as regards Hurricane Irma (and also Jose) I get my storm data directly from the U.S. National Hurricane Service, which falls under the government, not some third party news source. Then I look for local news sources from the areas affected (not just the U.S.) to get the 'down in the weeds' view of what the latest effects are on that specific locality AND it's residents. We live in a global world, and things happening everywhere affect us all, so with that philosophy in mind is how I like to keep on top of events. 

Bottom line is that I am worried about everyone in the path of this storm, and those that have already been affected by it. 

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Back in the early 90's I was in Italy and there was a news segment called Unspoken or Untitled or something like that. It was just video footage from news sources and they would put up text to where the footage was in the world but gave no description of what you were seeing. Would let the viewer make their own impression of what they were seeing. I really liked it. It was like a look at what was happening in the world but without being told what to think of it. 

Archived