Clarification on time of the 48% Sale

Jman31

I apologize if this has been defined clearly somewhere else, but I couldn't tell by the banner description.

When ORBX says the sale ends midnight Aug. 22, does that mean 12:00am going into the date of the 22nd from the 21st or does it mean 12:00am going into the date of the 23rd from the 22nd?

I hope that make sense.  I've got a specific situation regarding my finances the 21st so this delineation is important to me.  Just bought P3D4 and learning all about the world of add-ons.  Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Daz Kealy said:

The deadline has been declared in clear, precise and unambiguous terms, thus:

"sale ends midnight 22nd August Australian Eastern Standard Time"

Happy shopping!

The deadline is clear, how ORBX defines midnight is not.   Midnight, in my experience, has been used to describe both time examples in my initial post, which is why I asked for clarification.   Better safe than sorry, even if it seems redundant to others.

6 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

I believe that midnight means the end of the day.

That is what comes after 2359 hours.

Don't forget this is Australian time, not yours.

Thank you Nick for the clarification.  This was my initial assumption, but I wanted to make sure.  I appreciate the quick response.

24 minutes ago, Bugdani said:

It would be easier for every body to speak in UTC as in aviation world !!!

So  Z1400 on 22 august !

Dani.

Heh...which is stated as "1400 hours, Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)"

Sad but true :-)

-Braun

Retired ATC

Retired Aviator

Active observer of the Human Condition...

Hey guys whats the problem? Why do you allways have to wait until the last minute? Buy what you need NOW not when it´s too late and blame ORBX because you "didn´t know" it was Australien time. In fact it says so in the post about the sale, but as usual some of us have not the patience to read the entire post. :banghead:

Jack

the Swede in Sopain

28 minutes ago, JJJackson said:

Hey guys whats the problem? Why do you allways have to wait until the last minute? Buy what you need NOW not when it´s too late and blame ORBX because you "didn´t know" it was Australien time. In fact it says so in the post about the sale, but as usual some of us have not the patience to read the entire post. :banghead:

Jack

the Swede in Sopain

" I hope that make sense.  I've got a specific situation regarding my finances the 21st so this delineation is important to me......" 

On 8/19/2017 at 9:04 AM, Mikelab6 said:

Australian Eastern Standard Time is 10 hours ahead of Coordinated Universal Time,

so August 22, 00:00 AM AEST (midnight) = August 21, 14:00 UTC

This was precisely the OP's question: what was meant by midnight? The belief (based on Nick, the only ORBX team member to chime in here) is that they mean the end of the day, so Aug 22 at 24:00 AEST, thus Aug 22 at 14:00 UTC.

On 8/19/2017 at 10:39 AM, ftxpolo said:

I've got a specific situation regarding my finances the 21st so this delineation is important to me......" 

Same here!

Hello,
I have made the assumption that the midnight referred to is the one that happens at the end of the day.
There are two midnights in each day, to me midnight on xx day/date means the end of the day and always has.
In my world, 2400 hrs does not exist, midnight is 0000 hrs and is exactly one minute after 2359 hrs.

Right,  that is how most people would interpret it,  but that is also why it is a great question, since could be interpreted to fall before the day, being 0000 hours, one second after 23:59:59 on the 21st.  Often in business contracts where any ambiguity can have material consequences, the time would/should be noted as prior to 11:59 pm rather than leaving an interpretation open to debate by lawyers (or forum denizens in this case)   

This seems to always come up, and I'm not talking about just here.  what tends to help me is a nice countdown timer, that some retailers use.  While I am generally aware of my own local time, and its relation to UTC,  AEST is not a common reference for me at least, and I usually have to look it up. 

either way, I got the stuff I wanted.  might grab some titles I'm ambivalent about this evening.  I used to not buy airports because of VAS, so v4 has been very, very expensive

7 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

In my world, 2400 hrs does not exist

Hi Nick,

In ISO time, 24:00 does exist, as seen in this Wikipedia article. The relevant portion is here:

ISO 8601 uses the 24-hour clock system. The basic format is [hh][mm][ss] and the extended format is [hh]:[mm]:[ss].

• [hh] refers to a zero-padded hour between 00 and 24 (where 24 is only used to denote midnight at the end of a calendar day).
  • [mm] refers to a zero-padded minute between 00 and 59.
  • [ss] refers to a zero-padded second between 00 and 60 (where 60 is only used to denote an added leap second)

Some may find this discussion silly. To me, it's fascinating.

Cheers!

On 8/19/2017 at 1:04 PM, Mikelab6 said:

Don't think so Dani,

Australian Eastern Standard Time is 10 hours ahead of Coordinated Universal Time,

so August 22, 00:00 AM AEST (midnight) = August 21, 14:00 UTC

Mike

To me this is not right at all. Like Nick assumed, to me the term "midnight" refers to the middle of a night that has already started for a given day, i.e.: midnight of day "x" is right after 11:59 pm (or 23:59 pm) of day "x"....

The other way is just the beginning of the day and why hours from there on are called "in the morning" for day "x" (1 in the morning, 2 in the morning, etc.)

Nick, I already replied to your personally, but thanks once again.  For my first experience with ORBX, your guys communication and general customer service has been amazing and I wasn't even an official customer yet.  Now I own a bunch of stuff (probably too much...). 

Thanks once again!

I do think that this does need to be clarified better next time around. Like Nick I assumed that midnight was the end of the day not the beginning, which is why people say "see you at midnight tonight" etc. 

I got most of what I wanted, but I stopped by at 15:30UTC today to pick up a few more things expecting another 22 odd hours of buying window to be available, only to find I'd missed the date and this thread!

Oh well - I'm sure there'll be another one.

Cheers

Memo for Orbx.  As Aviators yourselves, surely you see the beautiful simplicity in stating the end date/time of your next sale in UTC "Coordinated Universal Time".  That way, just like in Aviation, we are all on the same Clock.

Just my suggestion,

-Braun

PS...thanks for the sale, bought an airport (Hobby Airfield, OR)

Well what I described as "clear precise and unambiguous" has ended up unclear, imprecise and ambiguous!

There's definitely not 2 midnights in a day. That would mean there's 730 of them in a year. There's only 365 for sure. That implies there needs to be one clear definition of when it is.

I'm sure the lesson has been learned so that this doesn't happen again. The UTC suggestion appears to be a good one.

This confusion with the date plus a not sent password reset mail from Orbx Direct prevented me from making some irrational purchases of airports I had never thought of purchasing before.

Next time in UTC please, we are (wannabe) aviators after all.

Edit:

00.00 = beginning of a day

24.00 = end of a day

I'd like to cancel my purchase since the processing of the credit card took too long and the regular price was taken off. The reason is, that the sales prices was within the max limit and bow it's above and I fear my card will be locked.

Any chance to do so?

Kind regards.

31 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

I think it's a bit late for a solution but since this is a debate:

as there apparently cannot be two midnights in a day, which of the midnights

in each day should be named midnight and what should the other midnight be called?

Well, for me, midnight is 24.00 o'clock.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

So each day does have two midnights. :wacko:

I understand the confusion, as it confuses me, too.

15 minutes ago, Venturi said:

ORBX should extend the sale by 48 hours.

24 hours for each midnight :lol:

Or just wait for the next sale, which could happen around Thanksgiving. ^_^ Anyway, these sales are great opportunities, especially as FlyTampa and Aerosoft almost never have sales.

3 minutes ago, sun_king_135 said:

I'd like to cancel my purchase since the processing of the credit card took too long and the regular price was taken off. The reason is, that the sales prices was within the max limit and bow it's above and I fear my card will be locked.

Any chance to do so?

Kind regards.

You would need to submit a support ticket for a request like that.

And where can I do that?

@those who think there's so much time: let me tell you, there are several reasons, as to why last minute shopping could occur. One of them is people are working and may not be in their home town area. Another is the time zone difference, as to why I agree that a countdown may be great. Then news may not spread too far out, since some forums don't report it or e-mails come very close to the end or are overseen. And finally, some may also wait for the new month in terms of debit cards. :)

Kind regards. 

When you think about it (I'm actually sat here laughing) when it's midnight it's the next day really isn't it? I thought this discussion was daft when it started but it's not daft at all. Anyway, enough! I'm sure this won't happen again in the future.

Archived