YBLN

Jack Sawyer

Great series Jack! Well done! :)

If I could make one suggestion re your purchases?  I found some of the biggest Australian airports really hit my frame rate. Perhaps, rather than jump in and get four at once, why not try one at a time? That way, you can judge for yourself with your set up how frame rate and VAS are affected? You could still purchase one a day! :D Or even two a day if you do a lot of flying! :lol:

Just now, paulb said:

Great series Jack! Well done! :)

If I could make one suggestion re your purchases?  I found some of the biggest Australian airports really hit my frame rate. Perhaps, rather than jump in and get four at once, why not try one at a time? That way, you can judge for yourself with your set up how frame rate and VAS are affected? You could still purchase one a day! :D Or even two a day if you do a lot of flying! :lol:

Thanks Paul!  Well, in the other thread I started I got a lot of good suggestions and I spent several HOURS tonight watching videos and looking at the screenshots of most of the O airports.  I came up with four I really like.

YBCS

YHBA
YMML

YBAS

It's 3:10 AM here local so I'm gonna hit the hay.  I've discovered that Australia is much larger and varied than I had ever imagined and well worth getting them all as time goes on.  Besides, as much as I love DAL's livery, my all-time favorite livery is Qantas.  It's the coolest livery in my opinion anyway.

Cheers Paul and thanks for the good advice.

5 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine shots Jack, I look forward to seeing your Aus shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain, me too.  I am going to buy the entire Orbx catalog hopefully this year.

4 hours ago, Richard Lincoln said:

Hey Jack, YPEC, YBRM actually all of them :D are worth a look.

Hi Richard, I didn't look at YPEC yet but I did look at YBRM.  Broome is another beautiful area and reminds me of where I live as we have all that red clay.

3 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Nice shots Jack, trust me once you buy one, you will want the rest as I did,

there are no disappointments.

cheers

Gumby

Thanks Gumby!  Sure thing, I always love buying new Orbx scenery, it's like a new digital toy and I love exploring it.

1 hour ago, jury42 said:

Very fine shots!

Thank you Jury, I'm glad you liked them.

Just now, paulb said:

Hi Jack,

Should you be in bed asleep?  :D

Cheers

Paul

Well, it's 0900 local, and I went to bed at 0300, so yeah, I'm really tired.  But I couldn't sleep, sometimes we elderly (soon to be 58) don't sleep well.  I know I'm not that old but I'm starting to get senior discounts at the grocery stores!  :blink:

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Well, it's 0900 local, and I went to bed at 0300, so yeah, I'm really tired.  But I couldn't sleep, sometimes we elderly (soon to be 58) don't sleep well.  I know I'm not that old but I'm starting to get senior discounts at the grocery stores!  :blink:

LOL! :D I am about 7 years older.............:wacko:. I will start getting discounts in a month or two! :lol:

8 minutes ago, paulb said:

LOL! :D I am about 7 years older.............:wacko:. I will start getting discounts in a month or two! :lol:

I get senior citizen discounts now at the grocery store and my wife likes it to save money but I resent it because I don't want the discounts because that means they think I look old!

Welcome to the glorious land of Oz Jack, a super set to start off with.

I think I am planning some flying around my home turf when I eventually get back down under.

22 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I get senior citizen discounts now at the grocery store and my wife likes it to save money but I resent it because I don't want the discounts because that means they think I look old!

The day I am dreading is when a young person offers me their seat. Luckily there are still plenty of wonderful younger folks out there.

9 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Gonna start my Down Under collection.

Thant means your time is gonna be absorbed for a year. You will have to work with the entire OZx freeware collection http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1825-single-links-ozx-au-complete-ozx-na-complete-ozx-libraries/ as well as with Ant´s airfields http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/13-anthony-lynch-scenery/ . And you should not miss out the personal extra sceneries that @teecee has created...

I am a happy man, I can look forward to your Aussie tours & shots.

8 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Thant means your time is gonna be absorbed for a year. You will have to work with the entire OZx freeware collection http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1825-single-links-ozx-au-complete-ozx-na-complete-ozx-libraries/ as well as with Ant´s airfields http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/13-anthony-lynch-scenery/ . And you should not miss out the personal extra sceneries that @teecee has created...

I am a happy man, I can look forward to your Aussie tours & shots.

Thanks Gerold.  It's so relaxing and fly in the sim when everything comes together and you lose yourself in Orbxland for a little while.

22 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

The day I am dreading is when a young person offers me their seat. Luckily there are still plenty of wonderful younger folks out there.

The odd thing to me Martyn is at my age I have extra pains, my knee still needs to be replaced and all that but Inside I still feel like I'm 20.  You get that?

Today for example, I feel like a little kid on Christmas with seven new Orbx airports!  I'm a happy camper today.

2 minutes ago, Sammy H said:

Another blistering set Jack!

Thanks Sammy, soon I'll be posting a lot of shots, I mean I just bought seven so I'll be busy for a while! :)

I simply cannot believe my good fortune with this sale.  I was only gonna buy four but I got seven.  Thanks Mr. JV and Orbx!  You guys rock!

And I'll be buying more through May, the wife says it's okay, keeps me off the streets...:D

8 hours ago, BradB said:

Your off to a great start Jack !! .

Cheers

John

Thanks John!  Even the freeware is amazing.

7 hours ago, adambar said:

Hey Jack, i've been getting senior discounts for a very long time now. :D  Keep on going, why stop now, great shots! :)

Well, I'm not old enough to get them here but it's unnerving at the grocery store.  And all the young people call me sir.  I still fell young inside though!  I hate Father Time.

Just now, shermank said:

It is a diet of Cincinnati  5 Way Chile (see my picture) that keeps me 76 years young....:-)

Sherm

Oooohhh!  Looks good Sherm!  I make a lot of turkey chili, my wife and I love it.  I like all that delicious cheddar cheese, makes me hungry as I haven't had breakfast yet.  76 years young!  Good for you man, glad to hear it.

We also use ground turkey. With all the seasonings you cannot tell the difference. And, in case you and others are interested, and at the risk of turning this into a cooking forum....enjoy!

1lb ground beef and or turkey
16 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 can kidney, black or pinto beans
1/2 Cup water
3 T chile powder
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
1/2 cup of chopped white onions
1 T garlic powder or chopped fresh garlic to taste
1 T sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 t white vinegar
1 pound spaghetti
1/4 cup shredded longhorn cheddar or similar cheese
brown meat, add tomatoes, water, beans, dry ingredients, vinegar salt and
pepper to taste. stir until all ingredients are blended. season to taste.
I sometimes add seeds from a dry serrano pepper depending upon courage of
guest diners...:-)
These ingredients are very flexible. you will probably want to add another
tablespoon or two of chile powder. be careful with the cinnamon and cloves.
too much will distort the flavor. same thing with the vinegar. I use it to
bring out other flavors, so add it last and in scant amount at first. sprinkle cheese on top to taste...and maybe a few shakes of tobasco.

Jack

I have always thought of Australia as this huge flat dust bowl with inhabitants, (ex penal colonies), clinging to life on its periphery, trying to avoid snakes, crocodiles, wombats & koalas.:)

Hence it hasn't been on my purchase list, PNW with its mountains seemed more interesting.

My concern was once I headed inland from anywhere on the Australian coast, I would eventually fall asleep due to the vast distances & travel times required.

However, your expedition to The Land Downunder, (whatever happened to Midnight Oil?),  & the Orbx sale,  has me re-thinking.

I notice in the advt for AU Australia there is a reference to "100's of freeware airports available".

Have you purchased AU Australia & located the trove of freeware airports?

I presume some are Orbx & some elsewhere??

TTM

9 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Jack

I have always thought of Australia as this huge flat dust bowl with inhabitants, (ex penal colonies), clinging to life on its periphery, trying to avoid snakes, crocodiles, wombats & koalas.:)

Hence it hasn't been on my purchase list, PNW with its mountains seemed more interesting.

My concern was once I headed inland from anywhere on the Australian coast, I would eventually fall asleep due to the vast distances & travel times required.

However, your expedition to The Land Downunder, (whatever happened to Midnight Oil?),  & the Orbx sale,  has me re-thinking.

I notice in the advt for AU Australia there is a reference to "100's of freeware airports available".

Have you purchased AU Australia & located the trove of freeware airports?

I presume some are Orbx & some elsewhere??

TTM

Hi TTM.  I just looked at Australia and it does indeed say hundreds of free airports.  I do have it, I bought it a while ago but haven't explored it yet.  I reckon they're included in the Australia region?

Midnight Oil, I used to love that song Beds Are Burning!

Whenever I thought of Oz I thought of kangaroos, koalas, crocodile Dundee, great whites, and everything being poisonous and how huge it is.

I have been spending the last hour with my four real Jeppesen maps and putting markers on all the airports I bought and the freeware ones I installed from Orbx.  I can't believe how spread out everything is in this country.  Here, where I live in a podunk little southern rural town, we have probably five or six small strips!

One airport I simply cannot find for the life of me, even with a world atlas is YPEC, Aeropelican, Belmont.  

Can anyone chime in and tell me what part of Australia this is in?  Thanks.

TTM, I'd say with the sale buy as many as you can if you think you want this area of the world.  I already bought eight in the last couple of days and I plan on buying more.  My wife and I spent a long time looking at all the videos last night and deciding priorities.

And my flights so far have really surprised me with the level of detail and the beauty.  I plan on flying around Alice Springs to have a loot at the Outback as soon as I can.  

Good luck trying to decide!

Archived