Boating in Samoa

bernd1151

If there is one ORBX scenery that almost begs to be explored by boat, it must be Ken’s and Tim’s Samoa scenery. There is also Catalina and of course Larry’s Nanaimo, but due to its size, Samoa is something special. And should you ever plan on doing a circumnavigation in your own yacht, the Nordhavn 86 is the perfect fit for doing it in style.

But as you will see, there are nicer places than Pago Pago to start such a journey.

2017-4-20_18-39-47-370.jpg

The harbour does not offer adequate berthing for large yachts. You are either squeezed in between large fish trawlers on the northern side of the habour, or as in our case behind smaller fishing vessels

2017-4-20_18-40-32-438.jpg

So let’s get quickly out of here

2017-4-20_18-43-51-660.jpg

2017-4-20_18-45-26-209.jpg

You are not allowed to travel faster than 10 knots in the inner harbour

2017-4-20_18-47-8-191.jpg

Finally we reach the open sea and as expected a fairly large swell

2017-4-20_18-50-13-962.jpg

Our stabilizer fins make the ship's movements a bit more bearable

2017-4-20_18-54-12-354.jpg

2017-4-20_18-57-13-531.jpg

Somewhere further astern must be the Pago Pago airport, but we turn east, as we want to reach a secluded cove at the northern shore, preferably before the sun sets

2017-4-20_18-58-30-211.jpg

Full steam ahead at 16 knots and we are almost there

2017-4-20_19-4-33-982.jpg

Our cove for the night comes into sight

2017-4-20_19-8-50-787.jpg

Let's slow down first to 9 knots, then to 3 knots. Our powerful lights make sure that the boat does not hit any debris

2017-4-20_19-13-34-797.jpg

2017-4-20_19-14-50-873.jpg

Once close to shore, we swing the boat around in order to lower both anchors. This way the boat can ride out the swell that comes from the sea

2017-4-20_19-19-33-158.jpg

2017-4-20_19-21-39-212.jpg

2017-4-20_19-22-31-274.jpg

Now there is one last thing to do for tonight….

2017-4-20_19-23-9-645.jpg

You have guessed it: fill up the tub and get a cold one

2017-4-20_19-26-34-31.jpg

2017-4-20_19-36-20-41.jpg

Welcome to paradise

1 hour ago, Rongor said:

amazing!

please forgive my noobness, how can I do that?

Thank you very much. Actually it's easy, you need a good ORBX scenery that is at its shores detailed enough to do some boating around it. Then for a start, download any freeware pilotable ship of your liking. Install it in your flightsimulator under simobjects/aircrafts. As we cannot select in FSX or P3D a harbour as our free flight start, choose an airport close to your desired cruise destination and select an amphibious plane such as the default Beaver or Goose. Move it to the desired point in your harbour and replace it then with your ship. Save the ship/scenario in FSX/P3D and go cruising. But once you take a fancy to it, you will want to have a more realistic ship with a decent bridge, from where you can steer it. And like me you will end up with payware such as the Nordhavn, which is just fantastic. You can steer it from the fly bridge as well as from the bridge on the main deck.   

56 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Bernd, I'm speechless!  Is this a freeware boat?  Your narrative is excellent and of course Pago is beautiful, what a great idea to see Pago by yacht!

Thanks a lot, buddy. The boat is not freeware unfortunately. You can buy it from Deltasimstudio.com 

2 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Thanks a lot, buddy. The boat is not freeware unfortunately. You can buy it from Deltasimstudio.com 

I see this is for FSX, is there any way at all to get this into P3D 3.4?

And Brad, they even have a yellow one! ^_^

7 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Thank you very much. Actually it's easy, you need a good ORBX scenery that is at its shores detailed enough to do some boating around it. Then for a start, download any freeware pilotable ship of your liking. Install it in your flightsimulator under simobjects/aircrafts. As we cannot select in FSX or P3D a harbour as our free flight start, choose an airport close to your desired cruise destination and select an amphibious plane such as the default Beaver or Goose. Move it to the desired point in your harbour and replace it then with your ship. Save the ship/scenario in FSX/P3D and go cruising. But once you take a fancy to it, you will want to have a more realistic ship with a decent bridge, from where you can steer it. And like me you will end up with payware such as the Nordhavn, which is just fantastic. You can steer it from the fly bridge as well as from the bridge on the main deck.   

Danke!

8 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

It's easy Jack. I use P3D 3.4 myself. Just unzip it to any location on your HD. In the folder you'll find a sub-folder called "simobjects". Open it and you'll see a folder called "airplane" folder. In it you'll find your ship. Copy and paste it into your P3D Simobject/airplanes folder. Please also do not forget to move the gauge file in the gauge folder either into your main P3D gauge folder or the ship's panel folder. The files in the Effects folder need to go into you P3D effects folder. That's it and you are good to go. Happy cruising  

7 hours ago, tom2rific said:

terrific shots...the colours, lighting...and your story gave a whole new perspective to our sim world..

really enjoyed !

Thanks a lot, Tom

7 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Awesome Bernd. Great ship and what a nice trip and scenery.

Thanks, I am happy that you like them

3 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great set these.

cheers

Iain

Thanks, Iain

2 hours ago, paulb said:

Wow! Great shots Bernd! Really nice to see something different. :)

Thank you very much Paul. First I was a bit apprehensive, as ORBX is about flying. But then i thought: the worst thing that can happen is that Iain kicks me out of here with my screenies. So it was worth taking the risk ;)

1 hour ago, bernd1151 said:

Thank you very much Paul. First I was a bit apprehensive, as ORBX is about flying. But then i thought: the worst thing that can happen is that Iain kicks me out of here with my screenies. So it was worth taking the risk ;)

Glad that you did Bernd! After all, orbx is about scenery and yours looks great! :)

3 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

t's easy Jack. I use P3D 3.4 myself. Just unzip it to any location on your HD. In the folder you'll find a sub-folder called "simobjects". Open it and you'll see a folder called "airplane" folder. In it you'll find your ship. Copy and paste it into your P3D Simobject/airplanes folder. Please also do not forget to move the gauge file in the gauge folder either into your main P3D gauge folder or the ship's panel folder. The files in the Effects folder need to go into you P3D effects folder. That's it and you are good to go. Happy cruising  

Thanks Bernd!  If I have enough I'll be buying it soon.

And, I thought there was plenty of Pago to see wasn't there?  I mean it's cool to get a different perspective of the Orbx world.

I'd like to place it on one of the Great Lakes and approach Meigs!

Fantastic shots of your last holiday tour, Bernd. Now add some simmed shots to your RL tour...

17 hours ago, BradB said:

Now all you need is the lady in the red bikini , I mean dress . :unsure::oB):lol:

Cheers

John

Ladies, you meant, Mr. John?

17 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

And Brad, they even have a yellow one! ^_^

Jack, I use quite a few of the Deltasim boats in 3.4 and they work just fine.  Got me in the mood to take a few out on the water now...A fantastic series.

15 minutes ago, Sammy H said:

Jack, I use quite a few of the Deltasim boats in 3.4 and they work just fine.  Got me in the mood to take a few out on the water now...A fantastic series.

Gonna be buying this later today.  And I'm astonished by the level of detail it has.  Can't wait to see your cruise in our little slice of Orbx land Sammy.  I wanna take a cruise around Catalina and pull into one of the harbors.  Then I could switch to the BMW and drive to the airport and then hop in a plane.  A yellow plane...B)

1 hour ago, Rongor said:

Now I am infected. You have convinced me totally. Also thanks for confirming this will work in P3D 3.4. Will purchase that yacht right now.

Thank you all!

We have forgotten to warn you, Rongor. As most of us here have found out the hard way, joining the ORBX screenshot community can be an expensive undertaking ;);)

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic shots of your last holiday tour, Bernd. Now add some simmed shots to your RL tour...

Thank you Gerold. This is actually a brilliant idea. Last time I was in Samoa in RL was in 1996, so these screenies will definitely add some spice to the old photos I have ;)

Wow! Only just seen these - they are amazing, Berndt. And I realise now I've just bought the wrong boat! I bought a couple of Deltasim motor yachts but via Simwings, rather than the Deltasim site, and they weren't showing this one. I didn't think to go to the source - may have to now though, this looks great (and anyway, I'm not sure I can get the New Jersey into that docking space <grin>)

On 25.4.2017 at 2:53 AM, Ken Hall said:

wow ,Awesome just plain awesome thanks for the great new way to enjoy our waterworld

Thank you, Ken. I was already wondering, why I didn't get any feedback from you, hehehe

4 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Wow! Only just seen these - they are amazing, Berndt. And I realise now I've just bought the wrong boat! I bought a couple of Deltasim motor yachts but via Simwings, rather than the Deltasim site, and they weren't showing this one. I didn't think to go to the source - may have to now though, this looks great (and anyway, I'm not sure I can get the New Jersey into that docking space <grin>)

Thanks Andy. No, you didn't buy the wrong boat. This one is just a tiny tender to your New Jersey, so you will easily find some docking space for the Nordhavn. Her length is just 86 ft ;)

1 hour ago, dolf8857 said:

WOW!   These are SUPER!

Thank you very much, Dolf

29 minutes ago, tangjuice81 said:

Beautiful shots!

Thanks a lot tangjuice81

Archived