And Now the "Learning Curve" Begins

PDX Flyer

Yes folks, this is my new toy.  It may be a long time until you see it in the air.  First I have to learn to start it and program the FMC.  My goal is within a month to be able to complete a flight and autoland it.

MyNewToy777.jpg

Last year, I learned the Airbus A320.  It took 3 months.  Hopefully this will go faster. 

1 hour ago, PDX Flyer said:

Yes folks, this is my new toy.  It may be a long time until you see it in the air.  First I have to learn to start it and program the FMC.  My goal is within a month to be able to complete a flight and autoland it.

MyNewToy777.jpg

Last year, I learned the Airbus A320.  It took 3 months.  Hopefully this will go faster. 

Read the Manual

Read the Manual immediately.

Don't do what I do & refer to it when you're about ready to park it!

Read the Manual1st!!!!!!:(

TTM

After spending $135, you can bet I will stay with it.  Until I learn it, or go crazy trying.  

17 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Read the Manual

Read the Manual immediately.

Don't do what I do & refer to it when you're about ready to park it!

Read the Manual1st!!!!!!:(

TTM

You mean I can't just watch some YouTube videos and be 'ready to go'?

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

A daunting task - the airlines might be impressed by the number of simmers who've learned the drill.

That may be the case, that is, until it is time for one of us flight simmers to do it for real.

9 minutes ago, Wakashi said:

Great looking bird and I'll bet it will be fun to fly (once learned), but hey, learning is said to be half the fun, have you considered Spartan School of Aeronautics! :D, because I have! ^_^

No Spartan School for me, but I may be knocking of the School of Hard Luck.

1 hour ago, Bermuda425 said:

Impressing capture!

Thanks Bermuda.

16 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Read the Manual

What's a manual?  :P

Seriously though, fly the Dubai to Male tutorial.  That will give you all the basics.  And don't be scared to hand fly the plane.  It handles like a dream.  The only things to get used to are the height of the view point and the momentum.

1 minute ago, Mickel said:

What's a manual?  :P

Seriously though, fly the Dubai to Male tutorial.  That will give you all the basics.  And don't be scared to hand fly the plane.  It handles like a dream.  The only things to get used to are the height of the view point and the momentum.

Being a retired Computer Nerd, believe me, the last thing we did was to read the manuals.  And now you are talking about tutorials.  What is a tutorial?

Good on yer PDX and I hope you enjoy mastering this beautiful plane.

Maybe soon on one of my RL 777 flights to Thailand you will introduce yourself over the intercom as Captain PDX and don't forget to invite me up on the flight deck(better keep that bit quiet though)!

Good luck with this - I did it the other way round and went from thr T7 to the Airbus.  You have to unlearn all the airbus automatics and then learn the Boeing way.  They ain't similar!!

Kev

On 19/03/2017 at 2:13 AM, PDX Flyer said:

Being a retired Computer Nerd,

Ah, another one! Be interesting to know how many of us there are on here - I suspect quite a few.

As for the 777, I've been a ctrl-e kind of guy all the way so far, but I've just bought a set of CH controls (including pedals for the first time) and can feel the possible onset of wanting to start doing all this stuff properly, if only occasionally. So I wish you well with the 777, even if it does mean having to RTFM. Personally, I've got a hankering for the Concorde. I've always loved its looks, and it used to fly over my house every evening when I lived at Reading, about 30 miles west of Heathrow. A real blistering noise but beautiful to see in the evening light - still low enough to get a good look at as it climbs out on its way. I like the 777 up close, those engines really are hugely impressive monsters and I like the look of the 'plane from ground level but it doesn't have the same grace in the air for me.

Archived