Australian LC

macca22au

While I salivate over Innsbruck, hang for P3D v4, I am sad for Australia.

No doubt because of market realities, it is sad to see Australia languishing.  

We need an entirely new full-fat land class, and YMML and YBBN need updating and a polish.

This is where it all started, but now the market has left us far behind.  JV relent a little.

24 minutes ago, macca22au said:

While I salivate over Innsbruck, hang for P3D v4, I am sad for Australia.

No doubt because of market realities, it is sad to see Australia languishing.  

We need an entirely new full-fat land class, and YMML and YBBN need updating and a polish.

This is where it all started, but now the market has left us far behind.  JV relent a little.

I second that. We also need an Adelaide airport and city, possibly Aldinga as well.

Teecee, but some of the boundaries between the first four "zones" look like they were sewn together with a wool bag needle nd twine.

hwh86, I agree.  We are using a good but amateur YPAD, and if Orbx could commission a single developer to create a quality payware airport our money would be there.

Yet ESSA among others shows us Orbx can commission and insist on quality.

Again, as I said, I my eagerly awaiting the update but " Teecee, but some of the boundaries between the first four "zones" look like they were sewn together with a wool bag needle and twine. "

Not sure what you mean here Macca, I have not noticed any anomalies, but that said, I rarely fly across State lines. How about a screenshot example? Teecee.

Teecee, look at this.  Abrupt boundaries that do not exist in reality, repetitive tiles on watercourse, rectangular and square water bodies in places.

This is a boundary between two of the four original regions produced by Orbx, and to me it just looks 'stitched' together.

2017-02-28 (1).jpg

1 hour ago, Bassman said:

Could there be a difference in blending the old four separate colours programs and the slightly newer SP4 version:unsure:

It appears to me that is the case.  If your using the old 4 regions (color) of OZ these borders could be as depicted in macca's screen shots but without any coordinates in his picture I can't duplicate the exact location so I placed my A/C at 30,000' heading east on from the over head view appears to be the sharp border he speaks of.  However from the screenshots you can see there is no sharp boundary in my sim with AUSP4 scenery.

GCS_197.jpg

GCS_198.jpg

GCS_199.jpg

Thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. Cheers

PS: Had to look twice as didn't recognize  that as coast of Western Australia then realized that it was Northern Territory on it's side. Always interesting to view one's own country from a different viewpoint.:lol:

I do have the SP4, but as I like to do transcontinental flights, then these changes seem quite abrupt still. I could replicate the shot above, but it is worth pointing out that the vegetation on the watercourses is very repetitive and in make up a pattern that is more than a little stilted.

However, I am only asking for an LC update for Australia, and will continue to start long-haul flights from Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane nevertheless.

Australia, being our first foray into regions back in 2007, obviously has the least amount of tech in it. However, we have begun work on Australia SP5. This will be a paid upgrade.

First thing is all the airports are currently being upgraded as per the other regions. Neil Hill is doing this work.

Secondly we will look at updating all the landclass with a more seamless blend between the old legacy sub-regions and using newer source data and better textures.

Finally we will improve all coastlines, rivers, roads etc with newer vector data.

This is not a small undertaking, expect this in late 2018 sometime.

Great news! Contrary to some poeple around here :), I've never been in real world Australia, but I love flying there (despite the common belive, people would only be flying where they have been).

Count me in for a paid upgrade, whenever it will be ready.

Kind regards, Michael

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

However, we have begun work on Australia SP5. This will be a paid upgrade.

This is not a small undertaking, expect this in late 2018 sometime.

Yesss! Great news - take your time though we are waiting so eagerly...

24 minutes ago, John Venema said:

In the meantime, we have begun testing the new lighting upgrade for FTX AU to catch up with EU and NA and NZ

This is a free upgrade patch, coming soon.

... and this is my second Yesss!

4 hours ago, pmb said:

I've never been in real world Australia, but I love flying there (despite the common belive, people would only be flying where they have been).

Michael, never heard this common belief...at least half of everywhere I sim fly are places I have never been to in the real world. Australia, which I have never been to in real life, has been my first Orbx scenery way back when FTX got off the ground, and it is still one of my favorite places to sim fly. I remember getting each FTX AU airport as it was released, I remember getting the regions back when they were colored Red, Blue, Green and Yellow, I remember one of my first flights out of Launceston in Tas that had me hooked on Orbx from then on. Remember those early days with the venerable FTX Coffs Harbour? Man, those were the days. And it only got better and better from there. I would say that 1 out of every 3 of my sim flights is in Orbx Australia.

JV, this news from you is tremendous! I know you have a full plate and people are requesting every corner of the World be done FTX style, but it is wonderful to see that AU is getting further attention from the Orbx team. I know many of the Aussies will be happy with this news, but here is one American that loves sim flying down under that is excited about these updates. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Michael, never heard this common belief...at least half of everywhere I sim fly are places I have never been to in the real world. Australia, which I have never been to in real life, has been my first Orbx scenery way back when FTX got off the ground, and it is

That's the usual argument any maker (including ORBX, but not only) brings forwards against Japan. There are no Japanese customers, thus there's no need for Japanese scenery.

Kind regards, Michael

11 minutes ago, pmb said:

That's the usual argument any maker (including ORBX, but not only) brings forwards against Japan. There are no Japanese customers, thus there's no need for Japanese scenery

Okay, fair enough, I see your point on that note.

I can say this with conviction: I have been and will be a fan of ANY region that Orbx does. For me, Orbx has been the definitive flight sim scenery design developer and I have enjoyed immensely ALL of their scenery regions, both full FAT and OpenLC. Bottom line is, I am happy and content with any area they decide to do, as I enjoy everything they have done thus far. :)

JV:  I started all this, and I am content with your very helpful replies.  Putting aside the usual simmers impatience for NOW, I am happy to wait for SP5 and a paid upgrade is reasonable.  But like TC and some others I am approaching 80, so I am running out of years, so 2018 is still a risk. Don't be late.

I'm with KDK, I would like to see Wellcamp in there, a great exercise in free enterprise and risk-taking.

Your Melbourne and Brisbane are great for their years, but in spite of the fact there are commercial competitors, could you commission someone to do Sydney - YSSY?

12 minutes ago, macca22au said:

JV:  I started all this, and I am content with your very helpful replies.  Putting aside the usual simmers impatience for NOW, I am happy to wait for SP5 and a paid upgrade is reasonable.  But like TC and some others I am approaching 80, so I am running out of years, so 2018 is still a risk. Don't be late.

I'm with KDK, I would like to see Wellcamp in there, a great exercise in free enterprise and risk-taking.

Your Melbourne and Brisbane are great for their years, but in spite of the fact there are commercial competitors, could you commission someone to do Sydney - YSSY?

Don't worry Macca, you will still be around for your e-mail from the Queen.

Like you I will be happy when it the AU upgrade gets here and it might just be the first thing I get with the seniors discount.

The problem with the sort of impatience is that ORBX stuff is so damned good that folks can hardly wait and we have so few other places to fly:lol:.

Did you see the segment on Landline last year about Wellcamp? The speed the Wagners built and had the place up and running was incredible, hats off to them. Now got a weekly 747 freight operating through there.

When I first came to Oz  in 1981 they were talking about a new airport for Sydney!!!!!!!!

Auckland is being made by FlightBeam and Sydney is available from FlyTampa. Sydney is excellent (IMHO) and I am sure Auckland will be as well. .

Kind regards, Michael

Can't quite get my head around some of the comments here.

Oz is the staple of my sim world and as such I fly it every day and night.

I haven't seen any of the anomalies that macca has.

All of the major Cities have adequate airport scenery available, and it all works well with ORBX. The exception is Adelaide and Perth, but there is a payware Adelaide out there that works in P3D V3.4, even tho it has issues and a basic version of YPPH at Ozx.

I'm not saying the continent is perfect, but I'm content to fly what we have and see what the future brings.

If you wanna take a look at the thread I have going currently, I posted a two minute video of an arrival into R12 at Alice Springs that I flew today....can't see it getting much better than that.

Frank

1 hour ago, Bassman said:

Personally I would prefer Orbx to concentrate on scenery and let others contribute airfields.:)

i couldnt disagree more....Granted, some make great airfields, but when orbx does it, its guaranteed to work. For example, LatinVFR KSAN (among many many others) need work to get them to work. I like that they do both.

7 hours ago, Bassman said:

Personally I would prefer Orbx to concentrate on scenery and let others contribute airfields.:)

I further couldn't disagree more....Orbx developers make some of the best airport available. Do I need to even mention the clamour that rises every time a Jarrad Marshal airport gets near release? The magic that is an Orbx airport is irreplaceable, so I hope that they continue to develop both scenery packages and airports.

Sniper 31, the start to that film was horrifying, too terrible for me to use as a handle.

However, I agree with your viewpoint, why else is the community drooling over Innsbruck, and we all think ESSA is outstanding by all measures.

However, I have checked, and the FlyTampa version is for P3D.

By the way, we love Honolulu and have been to the Arizona twice.

53 minutes ago, macca22au said:

Sniper 31, the start to that film was horrifying, too terrible for me to use as a handle.

Macca, I have been using Sniper31 as my moniker/handle LONG before the movie you are thinking of was even thought of. In fact, I have used that as my handle for over 15 years in various places as that has been a major part of my career in the military. As it is a very sensitive job, I have never mentioned it on here (also no one has ever asked), but it is who I am and what I have done during most of my time in the military. Now that it has been brought up, I request out of respect for everyone's feelings that if anyone has any input or questions regarding that subject, and you feel compelled to talk to me about them, then please do so via PM and we can further move any discussion to outside means. I am near the end of my military career now, and I am at a place where it is safe to discuss, but I will not do it here on the forum boards. 

As for the Arizona memorial, I agree, it is something very special to experience. I myself have visited it more than a few times (I can in fact see it from my home).

As regards Orbx airports vs. scenery, I further agree with you that ESSA, KPSP, KORS, YSCH, YSCB...they are all very special Orbx airports that spring to mind :)

Archived