Not so subtle baits and useless hint

dominique

John  V has announced that 

I've never really simmed in Latin America. Not so bad a mesh available but the default LC map kills the suspension of disbelief for me. Also  I cannot speak the language, I lost all the Latin I've learnt in school. So I had a good look around. If John's  was not a typo ;) (I thought SE Asia was next), plenty of challenges ahead everywhere thanks to the huge difference of altitude East/West. On the other hand, the new Tim & Ken scenery will be almost finished in time for the coming holidays ;), time to think of a new Experience package ;).

I wondered why nobody has ever done something in the Amazon. Some interesting medium haul airports (small jets, turboprops !), a majestuous river (floatplanes !) with  bush airfield muddy strips (tundra tires !) hemmed in the forest along. Something like Manaus to Iquitos as a tribute to the best movie I know ever shot in the Amazon. Just sayin'...

Absolutely could not agree more.

OpenLC will do a lot of good things for that continent.  I will add that Chile should be an FTX region, with all that mountainous coastline, but I would settle for Open LC, and some more FTX Global freeware airports (quite a few more).

I also like to fly a bit in Venezuela, since there are a lot of good payware and freeware airports there, and no shortage of rugged terrain to enjoy.

Of course, if Tim & Ken were to head into the Amazon, that would indeed be a fun experience.  No arguments from me on that one, Dominique!

South America sounds intriguing indeed. Let's not forget Rio and the coast of Brazil, Argentina, the Patagonia region ( I think someone already mentioned Chile)...lots of rugged, off the beaten path (sometimes waayyyy off the beaten path) locations. Should be a much more exciting region to explore in sim world after the Orbx treatment, and I am looking forward to it.

Just wondering if you guys appreciate how big and diverse South America is. Countries produced by Orbx in Europe so far would all fit inside Brazil itself let alone all of South America so I imagine it would take quite a few regions (and years) to be produced to create an Orbx quality South America.

2 minutes ago, Bassman said:

Just wondering if you guys appreciate how big and diverse South America is. Countries produced by Orbx in Europe so far would all fit inside Brazil itself let alone all of South America so I imagine it would take quite a few regions (and years) to be produced to create an Orbx quality South America.

Not so different than North America....just as much space as South, plus all the rugged terrain in Alaska, the Canadian Rockies, the PNW, the Southern Cali terrain....I would say there is a similar amount of diversity and size in North America and Orbx has handled that just fine ;)

1 hour ago, Bassman said:

Totally agree mate. My point was that South America will take a long time to do "Orbx" style.

Cheers  Dan

On that my friend, you are most likely correct....that is, unless Orbx has secretly been working on SA for years...haha...we can only wish. :rolleyes:

The issue is availability of digital data to grind not the size of the continent. NorthAm is a third larger than SouthAm but the data is plenty (USGS etc.). Have the many countries in the  South the same quality providers ? That could be a problem.

Also, we are talking OLC not a fat region. The terrain will stay generic, not customized. It actually appears not more diversified in spite of a large spectrum of climates. The Amazon, the pampas, the Andes, urban areas make huge chunks of it. Of course, expect new textures from OrbX !

On 10/9/2016 at 9:47 PM, VH-KDK said:

Was hoping for SE Asia but as I have quite a few South American pay ware and freeware airports and I do a bit of flying there, so it is just as good.

Anything ORBX does is top class so I will buy it.

I thought asia was 3rd in line ...... too

On 10.10.2016 at 6:10 AM, Bassman said:

Totally agree mate. My point was that South America will take a long time to do "Orbx" style.

Cheers  Dan

Hm, I guess you know, that Asia is much bigger (it is the largest  continent) and much more diverse than South America! B)

On 10.10.2016 at 6:47 AM, VH-KDK said:

Was hoping for SE Asia but as I have quite a few South American pay ware and freeware airports and I do a bit of flying there, so it is just as good.

Anything ORBX does is top class so I will buy it.

I also keenly await SE-Asia, in accordance with the open lc manuals. A great region with huge population and many of us having travelled there, be it holiday, business or duty.

4 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I also keenly await SE-Asia, in accordance with the open lc manuals. A great region with huge population and many of us having travelled there, be it holiday, business or duty.

Like many, I very much look forward to the two Asia OpenLCs, the sooner, the better.  We already have a not half bad Japan with the Haruo LC, and the Indonesia to Solomons arc is bearable with the SceneryTech LC but Indochina+Thailand, China, India and Central Asia need very much the OrbX treatment.

But, do we have the choice :lol: ?  

So I had a hard look at South America, the South-East haIf looks boring (first impression) except the Brasilian coastlines .The other half looks more attractive to sim. I took the Amazon as an example for an XP package but I'd add the Andes, Northern Chile (Atacama) and, of course, the Terra del Fuego.

I decided to do South America next because we have many, many more customers there than in Asia and there have been an increasing number of quality FS addon developers (both freeware and payware) coming from that part of the world.

We have really amazing quality data now available and we're making great progress with South America, we may even show some preview screenshots soon.

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

I decided to do South America next because we have many, many more customers there than in Asia and there have been an increasing number of quality FS addon developers (both freeware and payware) coming from that part of the world.

We have really amazing quality data now available and we're making great progress with South America, we may even show some preview screenshots soon.

Love you very much! :):)

7 hours ago, John Venema said:

Fantastic news!

Can't wait for a "Orbx" Angels Falls in Venezuala!  Maybe Orbx could create a separate range of scenery showing all the major Falls in the world, They created HD Trees maybe we could have HD Falls.:), not that they have much time available what with all the new stuff coming out almost daily.

On 12/10/2016 at 10:20 AM, John Venema said:

John, will you marry me?! :wub:

Archived