FTX Unified Lookup messed up textures

jalbrech

I have a question: I recently reinstalled P3D v3.2 on my system alongside with most ORBX products except Orbxlibs. If I install the latest version of Orbxlibs, do I have the option to refuse the migration to the unified lclookup, or will I be forced to go with it?  I prefer to hold off the migration process for now until most serious issues will be resolved.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, JS07 said:

My overall performance has not changed one bit in either FSX or the new ongoing P3D 3.2 install.

What's odd about this migration thing is it has caused messed up textures and the "melted granite" in both sims at the exact same place.  So it has to be something to do with the new Central.

I don't think it has anything to do with the new Central, but with the new lclookup system.  Certain of the migrations did not "migrate" correctly.  Witness the way NZ and AU fixes were applied to solve the terrain issues there.

1 minute ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I don't think it has anything to do with the new Central, but with the new lclookup system.  Certain of the migrations did not "migrate" correctly.  Witness the way NZ and AU fixes were applied to solve the terrain issues there.

I applied those files from Ben but still have water on vertical walls on the little pond directly at YSSY as you're sitting on the runway.  I can post a screenshot.  Has anyone else seen this?  Water on vertical walls on a pond at YSSY?

3 minutes ago, JS07 said:

I applied those files from Ben but still have water on vertical walls on the little pond directly at YSSY as you're sitting on the runway.  I can post a screenshot.  Has anyone else seen this?  Water on vertical walls on a pond at YSSY?

I will check YSSY sometime today, Jack.  I have FSDT's (I think it is) addon of YSSY, so I don't know if I'll see the same thing as you, though.

Thanks Stew.

Gosh, I'm anxious, I already suffer from extremely severe panic attacks in real life and now that I made that angry sounding post I'm worried I'll get banned or something despite an apology.  Never post while under the influence of Vicodin after knee surgery.

I'll have to wait I guess.

As far as what you said about it being a lclookup issue, I don't know what those terms mean.  I just fly and let Orbx do the installing.  I don't know the difference between a migrate and a lclookup to save my life.

Wish I knew more but this tired old dog just can't grasp it.  The young guys can do it effortlessly.

2 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Check out JV's latest post.  He seems to have pinpointed the possible problem with the migration/lclookup.  It is as I suspected.

Hi

which thread is his post in?

this is what I'm finding extremely frustrating - if there was a sticky where the Devs/admin could keep us up to date it would help. I've looked through 7 threads in 3 forums  and I can't find this post of JV's. 

Please, please sticky the thread where ORBX are involved and updating us. 

Thanks so much..

mike 

34 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

The topic is a sticky, an announcement and is updated by the CEO of the company.

If you click on Follow at the top of the topic, you will be sent an e mail when it is updated.

Thanks Nick, I just got home and saw your post and looked at John's.

So does this mean we have to start all over again with screenshots?

Does posting in this thread count or should we start a completely new support topic?

I have a very bad feeling about this and I'll tell you why.  I didn't know Orbx was migrating servers at the time when I did the new FTX Central and I had a lot of problems with it because of the servers going up and down like a yo-yo.  All the while setting up a brand new, just bought, first time user of P3D 3.2.

But then I noticed something very odd, I'm suddenly getting the same texture anomalies in FSX which has been running perfectly with all my Orbx stuff.  The only changes to FSX were done through Central.

So I see two different sims with the same Orbx areas with messed up textures.

My bad feeling is that I'm going to have to reinstall everything on both sims.  I only say this because I have no idea what could or might have gotten corrupted.

And since it's supposedly not too many people what am I to do?

I can wait till the 27th when Ben gets back but even then I wonder if it will be fixed.

I have several more regions to install into P3D which is all I have been doing this past week.  And then all the airports.

So I wonder if I shouldn't install anything into P3D anymore.

" Ben is on vacation until June 27th so any bugs to be remedied in FTX Central will have to wait for his return. "

This is what we call, in the software industry, a school boy error.  You never release software knowing full well that there won't be adequate support immediately following the deployment. I raised an eybrow when this update was released on a Friday. I then raised the other eyebrow when I learned that some of the staff had then gone off to FlightSimCon. Both eybrows then prompty flew off my head and embedded in the ceiling when I found out that the main supporting member of staff had a (presumably) pre-planned holiday.

1 minute ago, DAVIDF4 said:

" Ben is on vacation until June 27th so any bugs to be remedied in FTX Central will have to wait for his return. "

This is what we call, in the software industry, a school boy error.  You never release software knowing full well that there won't be adequate support immediately following the deployment. I raised an eybrow when this update was released on a Friday. I then raised the other eyebrow when I learned that some of the staff had then gone off to FlightSimCon. Both eybrows then prompty flew off my head and embedded in the ceiling when I found out that the main supporting member of staff had a (presumably) pre-planned holiday.

I sure hope they can fix this because if I have to reformat my drive and reload Windows, FSX and P3D I'm calling it quits.

Things were pretty darned fine a month ago.

I cannot even begin to tell you how frustrated I am with ruined textures in two sims!

I hadn't even touched FSX while I was installing Orbx stuff into P3D, then did the new FTX Central and it did both sims and now both sims are extremely messed up texture-wise in the same exact Orbx locations.

I have no idea what lclookup even means or what it does but like I said, my FSX was picture perfect before this FTX Central thing.

Yes I did but I kept having problems almost every day where Central did not see FSX only P3D and the only way I could get Central to see FSX was to run the registry fixer tool as a separate DL 

day after day I had to do this 

2 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Do you have FSX and P3D on the same drive?  I would put them on separate drives, but don't know if that would make any difference in your case.

Nope, Jetline placed FSX on X when they built it, and SSD.

C is an SSD for Windows 7 64

And my new Samsung 850 SSD is labeled G just for P3D.

There is nothing else on this PC, it's used only for flight simulation.  I don't even use it for email or surfing.

Just now, JS07 said:

Nope, Jetline placed FSX on X when they built it, and SSD.

C is an SSD for Windows 7 64

And my new Samsung 850 SSD is labeled G just for P3D.

There is nothing else on this PC, it's used only for flight simulation.  I don't even use it for email or surfing.

Then I really don't understand why FTX Central can't figure out which sim to service.  But then I only have FSX and don't have the experience (yet) in dealing with two different sims on the same machine.  Just wondering if it's worth uninstalling P3D and trying a reinstall all over again.

Holy cow!

Id rather do anything in life no matter how bad than do that.

Its taken me sometimes 18 hours a day to get where I got.

If Orbx can't fix this then I will sell the PC and get out of flight sim.

This is no longer a hobby to me anymore lately, it's torture.

It was so nice before this fiasco.

My only hope is they can fix this else I'm done.

And I was just about to buy a bunch of new Orbx stuff.  Now my trust in them is broken.

On 6/8/2016 at 1:01 PM, Ben McClintock said:

We've identified the issue with New Zealand. Attached is a fix that should be extracted to your root FS directory. When it asks you to overwrite, say "yes".

If this fix works OK for you all, we'll deliver the update via FTX Central after FlightSimCon.

Let me know how this goes.

orbx_unified_lclookup_nz_fix.zip

Hi Ben - I was going to see if your fix rewsolved my NZ woes, but the link is dead. Is it still available?

Thanks,

Adam.

On 6/6/2016 at 11:35 PM, fuzz1 said:

I just attempted the 'reset migration' command; it seemed to go through the process ok but results are the same.  Here is what I'm still seeing.  Location is 1nm from NZWN on a 40 degree radial from the runway.  I have encountered numerous similar examples all across NZNI.  This problem appears only on hillsides, not in flat areas. Fortunately I have yet to see these missing texture problems in any other FTX areas:

NZNI-4.png

NZNI-3.png

Textures in this spot continue to morph as you're approaching/departing the location and/or circling around it.  When viewed from a slewed position over the NZWN runway it appears as a solid wall of water and morphs as you approach.

This is the first time I've had to ask this community for help and would sincerely appreciate a meaningful response, failing which, instructions on how to revert back to the pre-unified format.

NZNI is presently unusable for me and it worked perfectly, as did all other ORBX products, prior to the unified migration.

While I realize that most users have likely not reported similar problems, it won't be until someone actually flies over an affected area with a missing or non-migrated texture that the problem will become apparent.  For some this could take quite some time.

I'm using win7-64bit with permissions set appropriately.  My previous post outlines the other troubleshooting steps I've taken.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have exactly the same , a total mess

12 minutes ago, Adam_NZ said:

Hi Ben - I was going to see if your fix rewsolved my NZ woes, but the link is dead. Is it still available?

Thanks,

Adam.

Adam, if Ben allows I can email you those two files for AU and NX or just NZ.  But I would never send Orbx files without permission.  I have them saved.

Thanks, Ben - duly grabbed and installed!!

Fixed my Coromandel problem :) ... but the NZPP problem (different thread) is still there.

I haven't spotted any other "gotchas" since replacing the files ... yay! I just love NZNI/NZSI so much!

Adam.

57 minutes ago, JS07 said:

Adam, if Ben allows I can email you those two files for AU and NX or just NZ.  But I would never send Orbx files without permission.  I have them saved.

Thanks Jack - no need! Ben got back pretty darn quick!!! B)

Adam.

7 minutes ago, Adam_NZ said:

Thanks, Ben - duly grabbed and installed!!

Fixed my Coromandel problem :) ... but the NZPP problem (different thread) is still there.

I haven't spotted any other "gotchas" since replacing the files ... yay! I just love NZNI/NZSI so much!

Adam.

Yup, I think that was me that discovered the NZPP issue.  Even after the patch to both FSX and P3D it's still there.  I'm sure it'll get ironed out eventually.

Adam, I'm just glad that someone is on it now and they know and understand what we're going through.

Hi Ben,

I did your suggestion - deleting the scenery index files in FSX and deleting the shader directory contents.  The files were rebuilt. 

Taking off from DCA, things initially looked good. I went northeast toward BWI and quickly things got blurry.  Similar to the problems before.  Seems like slow texture or autogen loading is taking place.  I don't have this problem everywhere, just in some areas.  Hard to get a handle when and where.

Thanks for troubleshooting for us.

I hope I'm not one of the rude folks that John is referring to. If so, please let me know so I can tone things down.  I was just trying to figure out the problem.

Jay A.

10 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

Glad to hear you have NZ 99% working, Adam!

I've brought NZPP to Eugene's attention, hopefully it won't take too long to resolve :) 

Unified migration damage to south island, please be aware that it is not just the north island!

NZSI_damage.JPG

Hi Ben,
Can you fill us in on why these fixes are needed please.
I don't really understand why, if the migration followed a consistent worldwide and thoroughly tested plan, there would be a need to fix individual areas after the fact.
Why didn't the testing pick up on this? Is it down to individual customer set ups that weren't anticpated, or just unluckily missed?
Are these broken areas special or unusual in some way (when compared to all of the other ORBX scenery products), that might have made them break? 
I'm just scared that there could be similar anomalies in dozens of other areas, as yet undiscovered, and we are all about to go through a lengthy and painful period of bug reporting and mini-fixes.
Also, what do you think is causing the texture rendering slowdowns (blurries)?
I really need some reassurance here, that all of these problems are understood and that a universal fix is being systematically prepared.

On June 15, 2016 at 7:21 PM, JS07 said:

Holy cow!

Id rather do anything in life no matter how bad than do that.

Its taken me sometimes 18 hours a day to get where I got.

If Orbx can't fix this then I will sell the PC and get out of flight sim.

This is no longer a hobby to me anymore lately, it's torture.

It was so nice before this fiasco.

My only hope is they can fix this else I'm done.

And I was just about to buy a bunch of new Orbx stuff.  Now my trust in them is broken.

Eating my own words.  My faith in Orbx is pretty good right now.  I wrote this out of frustration.

I'm almost finished installing my Orbx stuff, about 24 more to go and from what I've seen so far P3D really makes my Orbx stuff shine like never before in FSX.

I'm glad Ben got involved and thankful for that, Stew had good advice to take a deep breath, and JV was spot on.

So I wish I could delete the above nonsense.

Kudos to all the Orbx staff as they have a lot more patience than I do.

So now it's fun again.

Best regards,

Jack

1 hour ago, JS07 said:

Eating my own words.  My faith in Orbx is pretty good right now.  I wrote this out of frustration.

I'm almost finished installing my Orbx stuff, about 24 more to go and from what I've seen so far P3D really makes my Orbx stuff shine like never before in FSX.

I'm glad Ben got involved and thankful for that, Stew had good advice to take a deep breath, and JV was spot on.

So I wish I could delete the above nonsense.

Kudos to all the Orbx staff as they have a lot more patience than I do.

So now it's fun again.

Best regards,

Jack

Jack, could explain why it is fun again? Is it because you have now reinstalled your ORBX products up to the point prior to the lookup migration or have you now migrated?

10 minutes ago, glider1001 said:

Jack, could explain why it is fun again? Is it because you have now reinstalled your ORBX products up to the point prior to the lookup migration or have you now migrated?

Oh, I've been migrated.  I somehow timed the migration at the exact moment the servers went down, the forum went down, right after knee surgery when my air conditioner here in Atlanta kept the house a nice 90 degrees and the deer ate all my flowers in the garden.  Then the real fun began.  I was as anxious as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs by then.

But as JV said Central is self healing.  No, I'm happy now because I've spent a lot of time installing and testing and seeing just how much smoother and better (in my opinion) P3D really is.  

I'm happy because Ben and the guys at Orbx are working on a few issues which when they're finished will affect everyone in a good way.  It was fun to be at Bella Coola today with ASN running, Track IR working, all my flight controls working and EZCA working with my new A2A 182 and when I took off and flew around Bella Coola all was right with my Orbx world.  If you don't have Bella Coola get it, the mountains are breathtaking.  In fact, it's because of some Orbx areas that I'm going to visit some of these places in real life.

It's fun again because tonight I took off from Meigs and made a few circuits and touch and go's and was very pleased with the water, the sky but most of all Meigs, the original and first flight sim airport for me.

It's fun because as I test each Orbx airport I'm adding in now every flight is better than the last.  KTEX, Pago, KEGE, today all beautiful.  Pretty soon I'll be back to my round-the-world Orbx tour in various planes and posting screenshots.  And it's smoooooth.  No stutters, no OOM's (yet) and it's a clean system.  All Orbx with the exception of a couple of Fly Tampa's and three UK2000's.  Otherwise it's a very lean, clean brand new SSD with P3D 3.2 and so far all is right with the world.

It's fun because the people and support here are second to none.  Like a certain radio host says, I'm having more fun that a human being should be allowed to have.

Seriously, it's because I like flying and not tweaking and smarter people than myself are generous enough to help out and I really appreciate that.

Sorry for so many words Glider, I was on a roll.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Far away from the Orbx forum till last days because of vacations. After reading the problems that occurred with the FTXC 2.1 migration process, I checked and noted that I'm concerned by some of the pictures/examples given in these topics :( :
- http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/115997-ftx-unified-lookup-messed-up-textures: at NZPP with elevation problem ("plateau"), NZWN, but not at NZMF
- http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/116231-important-forum-down-time-and-ftx-central-2/?page=2: at topic #64.

I've got NZNI, SI and AU regions, Global base and OpenLC NA, Windows 7 64bits, FSX Acceleration. All Orbx products were updated before the migration process.
I haven't encountered server problem because I had taken the precaution to download the Libs before to migrate. The process told me that all was OK, no error.

Must I apply the fixes found here http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/115997-ftx-unified-lookup-messed-up-textures/?page=3 at topic #104 for now? Must I wait for a global patch?

Another question please: where's is the orbx.log file that some members have posted, so that I can see eventual error messages?

Thank you in advance for any information, patch or process to perform.
TY Orbx for all your whole efforts to make a better sim!

Archived