FTX Unified Lookup messed up textures

jalbrech

Having the same issue in P3D v3.3. In certain areas like Sydney there are water textures on top of the ground and partially blue textures that revert to "normal" ones once I get closer. Also there's trees everywhere in these places , in cities, on the streets, etc.. + textures are flickering.

EDIT: Only have FTX Global installed

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can confirm errors around Wellington, NZ (NZWN) that so far seem to repaired by a hotfix.  Another recent flight I've done is KTTD-KHIO with no noticeable error so far. 

I can also confirm water hills around Sydney, Australia.  What a bummer.

sydney_1.jpg

sydney_2.jpg

I'd certainly like an explanation as to what has gone wrong.
If we knew how and why things are broken, then at least we'd have a better idea of what to look for when identifying and reporting bugs caused by this patch.
My biggest fear now is that some things will never be put right properly.  Trying to fix these sort of problems piecemeal is probably not a sensible approach.
Ideally everyone needs reverting back to exactly as they where. Then whatever strategy was devised to bring everything together needs to be reviewed and corrected so that it works 100% correctly in one hit. Anything else is unlikely to lead to a guaranteed perfect result.  
I don't want to face the frustration of months of bad areas gradually coming to light and then having to patiently explain each time that it's not my set up that's at fault and that a product fix is needed.

I agree.  Although I initially found no errors, to my dismay once I started visiting locations where errors were reported I, unfortunately, experienced the same texture errors.  One of my concerns is a simplistic explanation that only about 10 users are experiencing issues, so it's not that big of a deal.  Well, it is a big deal.  I wonder if everyone would see the same errors, if everyone visited the locations where errors had been reported.  Consistency is important.  (FSX-CD)  

Well, I saw it in FSX and now my screenshots are no longer linked to Orbx's image hosting?

So count me as one of the ten.

Such is life.

I'm sure they'll get it sorted out as Mr. Venema said it's self healing so I have to wait.

But it's hard to wait as I have so many Orbx's ready to install in P3D.

Well, I'm very appreciative of this entire unified idea.  I think it's absolutely terrific not having to switch regions.  Hopefully, it will all work out in the end.  As far as posting screenshots, I usually do that via OZx image hosting but currently it's not allowed for some reason.

41 minutes ago, Eugene Krikunov said:

Hi all,

orbx_unified_lclookup_nz_fix.zip

We've identified the issue with AU(Hills around Sydney). Attached is a fix that should be extracted to your root FS directory. When it asks you to overwrite, say "yes".

orbx_unified_lclookup_au_fix.zip

What is going on now? JV said we should hold off with updating until ORBX says it is OK now to update and now you are posting little fixes for specific reason. That won't cure the whole more greater problem of having texture anomalies all over the world. I wonder if ORBX staff is speaking here with one voice. And I doubt that there are only 10 people involved, alone counting the members here in this forum, adding users from the P3D group I am member on facebook plus users on two german forums who are reluctant to post here because they are not fluid in English I count a lot more than 10 users.

Since I posted my problems from the very beginning

and getting no feedback, I am now after three days reinstalling from scratch at the point I may do the migration via FTX Central but I will for sure hold off and every day passing by with not at least a short feedback from ORBX how the progress is going I am more and more reluctant to this "terrific" new unified lclookup which in my eyes is now a unified lockup.

Regards

Ralf

Well, I was going to post a couple of screenshots but I guess the Orbx Image Hosting site isn't linked yet?

I have FTX Central all updated for FSX and P3D.

I have installed in P3D only Global and trees.

So I decided to go to Wellington again this time in P3D and see if that patch fixed it as it did in FSX.

Nope, still have water on mountains in P3D.  Have not checked FSX yet.

Why would I get water in NZ when I don't even have Orbx NZ installed ye in P3D v 3.2?  I plan on installing it very soon as I have it for FSX.

Will this patch work for NON Orbx NZ?  Just Global and Trees installed?

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

No Jack, I think the patch is for the FTX New Zealand products.

I confirm that the image hosting site is not working.

Thanks Nick on both questions.

So I now have to ask why is the same area around Wellington messed up in my brand new P3D v 3.2 installation when all I have is Global and Trees installed?

Could the migration of Central somehow messed that up?

Thank you for getting back to me Nick, I appreciate it.

53 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

No Jack, I think the patch is for the FTX New Zealand products.

I confirm that the image hosting site is not working.

Hi Nick,

Do you think it's safe to start installing my dozens of Orbx add-ons into my new P3D 3.2 or should I wait?

Thanks.

To be honest Jack, I don't know the answer.

I too see anomalies if I visit Wellington in Global but none if I activate the patched New Zealand scenery.

Whatever the answer is, I doubt that it will involve re-installing any of the products so you probably

can go ahead.

31 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

To be honest Jack, I don't know the answer.

I too see anomalies if I visit Wellington in Global but none if I activate the patched New Zealand scenery.

Whatever the answer is, I doubt that it will involve re-installing any of the products so you probably

can go ahead.

Nick that's brilliant!

Thank you very much for taking the time to test that.  So you see the same.  That's very interesting.

You see it like I do in Global but not when you have Orbx's NZ.

Right, I'll just go ahead and start with both NZ's then.

I have so many to install.

Is there a particular order on installation?

I know full fat regions before the airports for those regions.

But what about Vector?  Last or next instead of NZ, THEN NZ?

I'm sure the guys are going crazy now with all they have going on, I don't envy them but they'll get it all straightened out, this is why I buy Orbx.  The support.

Thank you.

Ok, just now I installed into P3D v 3.2 both New Zealands and then I applied Ben's New Zealand fix.

The area to the north of Wellington is now good but right at NZPP I have all messed up textures.

So this is the sequence of what I did.

(1) Installed NZNI, it ran the FTX Central no problem.

(2) Ran P3D and saw those messed up textures.  Screenshots below.

(3) Installed NZSI, it ran FTX Central, no problem.

(4) Ran P3D and all I did was go to Wellington, I don't know if that's north or south NZ.

(5) Got the patch files and installed them as Ben described.

(6) Ran FTX Central

(7) Ran P3D and went to NZPP and the textures are still messed up.

1grMWZZ.jpg

g2sdGdL.jpg

nMT37pJ.jpg

Here's all I have installed so far.

Lots to go.

cEff28D.jpg

It's all very well posting quick fixes here and there but it seems a lot of people (myself included) are having major problems with huge swathes of scenery. I for one would like some sort of commitment that this will be sorted - I have Base and England and they are unflyable. In fact, because the support forums were down, this issue cost me a new reinstall of P3D because I thought it was something I had done. That was 4 hours I'll never get back... anyhow, I guess I am just bleak because I bought Global on Wednesday. Right when it all blew up. So my experience has been shocking thus far, despite previously having excellent results with FTX England. 

Sitting and holding breath waiting for a fix...... 

Mike

6 minutes ago, mrb13676 said:

It's all very well posting quick fixes here and there but it seems a lot of people (myself included) are having major problems with huge swathes of scenery. I for one would like some sort of commitment that this will be sorted - I have Base and England and they are unflyable. In fact, because the support forums were down, this issue cost me a new reinstall of P3D because I thought it was something I had done. That was 4 hours I'll never get back... anyhow, I guess I am just bleak because I bought Global on Wednesday. Right when it all blew up. So my experience has been shocking thus far, despite previously having excellent results with FTX England. 

Sitting and holding breath waiting for a fix...... 

Mike

I have FSX and everything was fine in it.

But I haven't flown since I installed P3D v 3.2 last week.

I've spent countless hours downloading all the latest installers for my 48 Orbx products.

I had already installed Trees and then Global.

Then the migration thing happened.

But for the most part is seems fine for me with my installs in P3D today.

Today I have installed CRM, UK, and Pacific Fjords.

After each one it auto runs FTC Central then I reboot and test.

So far my tests have been pretty good except for the NZ area even with the patch Ben issued but I'm sure they'll straighten it out.  See above.

What version of P3D?

Why are those areas unflyable?  Can you post some screen shots?

8 hours ago, JS07 said:

I have FSX and everything was fine in it.

But I haven't flown since I installed P3D v 3.2 last week.

I've spent countless hours downloading all the latest installers for my 48 Orbx products.

I had already installed Trees and then Global.

Then the migration thing happened.

But for the most part is seems fine for me with my installs in P3D today.

Today I have installed CRM, UK, and Pacific Fjords.

After each one it auto runs FTC Central then I reboot and test.

So far my tests have been pretty good except for the NZ area even with the patch Ben issued but I'm sure they'll straighten it out.  See above.

What version of P3D?

Why are those areas unflyable?  Can you post some screen shots?

Hey JS

I may have been over dramatic when I said "unflyable".

I will post screenshots if I can replicate today, but to be honest they look like every one else's - blurry textures. My test flight was EGNT to EGLL - on climbout from NCL increasing blurriness. On breaking through  th eclouds into Heathrow I was met with an amorphous green/grey mass where ground textures should be. (with an accompanying deterioration in performance.

Prior to the combined events of purchasing Global base and updating FTX I had gorgeous England textures. So there is a big issue - and it's not just me experiencing this problem. One can only hope a solution is forthcoming because my VA is based at LHR - I am in and out of there on every flight.... :-(

Yeah, I just installed PNW and test flew it and all the granite walls that were once so photoreal are now just a blurry melted mess.

I wonder what the heck happened?  Especially since I see it in both FSX and P3D with the same Orbx areas!

Gosh I hope they fix this soon.  I know they're extremlely busy but I hope someone is reading these posts.  It would be nice to hear from someone official at Orbx telling us they are aware of it and it will be remedied sometime soon.

My Orbx world is not he same anymore. :(

I can confirm the problem (P3D v3 3.2) with NZPP. The textures keep changing from what looks like NZ textures to Global textures. This is especially noticeable when going down R16 towards R34 or in the air approaching R34. It looks like the LC is either confused about what to display or it is trying to catch up with the proper textures and then gets confused. These anomaly areas are very random so identifying all is going to be a long process for the Devs to identify and rectify. Piecemeal rectification is IMHO not the way to go,asin the Wellington hotfix and AU Sydney hills hotfix, as we will all be left with having to fly all over the world to see where these problems arise.The older system of Applying seems to have been far more accurate a way of ensuring the correct LC & Textures had been located and identified by the sim prior to loading a flight. At the moment we are left with "discovering" problems as we start a flight somewhere. Perhaps, if possible, orbx could consider a temporary return to the older version while they recheck the accuracy of the the unified system, because clearly something is very wrong and it certainly is not just 10 people. I think if we report every anomaly as we find it, and some of us go to the reported area of concern and either verify the problem exists on their system or it does not appear, then we might help the devs possibly find a common thread if there is one, and they can look into it.

These problems are not just in Global areas but in full fat Regions as well.

I know that orbx are working on a revised unification programme as per JV's statement about "holding back" for now, and I look forward to  the release of the new unification programme. I remain hopeful that all will be rectified shortly, now that key personnel are back at there desks.

Are those finding the blurries to be not as bad using SSDs?  If so, maybe the superior access speed is helping to mitigate the problem.
However, even if things are better with an SSD, it still would mean that the whole texture retrieval infrastructure has been placed under more pressure, pressure that we can ill afford in marginal scereny situations.
If the cost of the unified lookup is decreased performance, then I'm certain that the community will not accept that.

Hopefully, the degraded performance is just due to texture lookup conflicts that once sorted will return the previous level of performance.
But as said, fixing individual areas as they are reported is an inefficient approach and could lead to some areas remaining broken.
Finding the root cause and correcting it scientifically and completely is the way to go.  I'm sure the Devs arfe already taking that tack though.

1 minute ago, DAVIDF4 said:

Are those finding the blurries to be not as bad using SSDs?  If so, maybe the superior access speed is helping to mitigate the problem.
However, even if things are better with an SSD, it still would mean that the whole texture retrieval infrastructure has been placed under more pressure, pressure that we can ill afford in marginal scereny situations.
If the cost of the unified lookup is decreased performance, then I'm certain that the community will not accept that.

Hopefully, the degraded performance is just due to texture lookup conflicts that once sorted will return the previous level of performance.
But as said, fixing individual areas as they are reported is an inefficient approach and could lead to some areas remaining broken.
Finding the root cause and correcting it scientifically and completely is the way to go.  I'm sure the Devs arfe already taking that tack though.

My PC has three SSD's, no mechanical drives at all, except for the two externals which are for Acronis.

I have even hit pause and tried to wait for it to "catch up" as I've seen that in FSX but this is awful.  

I sure do hope it gets fixed because it was so nice before.

Well, I'm starting to get a picture of what might be wrong.  I just installed Alaska into P3D 3.2.   It's beautiful and ALL the granite mountains are photoreal like always.  No melted granite like in the British Isles.

So my best guess is that for some reason, the British Isles, Wales, UK, Scotland, have problems with shoreline granite texture renderings.

Haven't installed either Ireland yet, that's on my to do list for today.

Thanks 

Jack

Hi

It's not just blurries that is the problem and there is more than NZ  and Australia affected. I have at present only England and Scotland regions installed as I had just started a complete reinstall and I have large areas of missing Autogen.

kind regards

Ian

Yup, I just installed NCA and even it's granite is blurry.

I'm stumped.

Also, just now I installed NRM and went to CYGE and it was horrible!  The ground couldn't make up its mind what texture to place there.

I sure hope someone at Orbx reads these posts.

Gosh I wish I had it back to normal, and as a test it's like that in FSX too.

Same problem here.  P3d 3.3.5 with global,vector,open LC EU and Alaska/NA, England, N.California and HD trees.  Thought I was the only one with the problem. Starts well when you take off from any runway then as soon as you leave the area and return everything is in a mess.   

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

5 hours ago, Burning Daylight said:

Whats about your overall performance? For me the whole migration think is a step back, especially my performance went bad.

My overall performance has not changed one bit in either FSX or the new ongoing P3D 3.2 install.

What's odd about this migration thing is it has caused messed up textures and the "melted granite" in both sims at the exact same place.  So it has to be something to do with the new Central.

Archived