Where's your home base

matsout

Just curious, if you have a home base do most of you base yourselves near/at your real life home base? or do you base yourself somewhere else in the world?

I'm in a pickle, I want to get away from my homeland and make more use of the US, but I like using realtime, I live in Aus and if I use real time I'll always be flying in the dark given the time differences. What does everyone else do when it comes to these things?

First world FS problems.... I know, But I'm just in a bit of a rut at the moment and want to get out of my box and explore a bit more but still keep it as realistic as I can.

I respect your wish to fly in Real Time. However, if you are in Daylight in Australia, and wish to fly in Daylight in the US...just Do It. Set your sim to match your local time at your US simulator location, and your Sim Window time will match the Real Window Time outside your Real Window. Sounds reasonably Real to me.

Alternately, you could create a Time Machine simulator as an addon, or simulate creating a Time Machine Simulator within your Flight Simulator...just pick an empty hangar anywhere to build it in secrecy...to justify resetting the Simulator Clock...but that gets too convoluted for me. :)

Oh, and I home base out of Northern California...fairly close to the Humbolt/Mendocino area... ... :P

My home land base is Gnoss Field in Novato California.  I graduated from high school in Mill Valley and am in timately familiar with the area.

My float home base is Commodore Center in Sausalito California, just down the road from Gnoss.  It's where I learned to fly and flew my first solo in Luscombe 8E on floats.

Noel

I love flying in all my Orbx regions, but do fly the most out of my actual home base, KNUW.  

I'm fortunate to live in an area that has extensive Orbx airport coverage.   I think I'm in the middle of the densest area of Orbx airports!

I will usually just fly anywhere at any time.:)

You make the rules in this world.

You fly what you want when you want.

I have a few favourite starting points. SAK it is Birchwood, PNW Cape Blanco, Wales Welshpool and England Compton Abbas.

Every one to their own, I have just flown a German registered Islander in Tonga. Why? Because I can!

Cannot fly from Shepparton YSHT at the moment as there is a lot of thunder and rain about:o

I don't really understand the reason for the question.  If you really want to fly in real time in a country other than where you live just stay up until its daylight there....or fly at night.

Wherever you are, you can get real world weather continually updating  whatever the time and which I would have thought would bring more realism for you when flying.

John

6 hours ago, matsout said:

What does everyone else do when it comes to these things?

I set Active Sky Next to historical mode and set FS and ASN to a day VFR time.

I'm french and flew frequently in US but the issue is the same in my local country because I don't have enough spare time during daylight to stay in front of my PC ;-)

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

We are all gods in our own Orbx world and can make it just the way we like it..  Great feeling isn't it?

Noel

+1 Noel    I live in Redding, CA so KRDD is my "home" base.  That said I go wherever I want in the world and set the time of day according to what I want to see.  Sunsets along the Calif coast, early mornings at Ranger Creek, mid day in the Yosemite Valley.  There is no end to the possibilities!

In Europe I tend to think of EGGD Bristol (our nearest airport) as my base and always seem to gravitate back to there.

Anywhere else in the world its almost  completely random.   I choose an area in the world and then its almost like dropping a pin on a spot and finding the nearest airport to that.   Then I fly to someplace within 300nm of that using Plan G as a guide to the destination airport. 

airport. 

If you see what I mean.......

John

I rarely fly near my home base in New Mexico.  The terrain looks good, i.e. mountains and canyons are recognizable, but the landclass and general appearance in FSX, even with Global, are uninspiring to say the least.   So I generally opt for any of the Orbx regions I have, with Active Sky historical weather set to sim time.  

There's a DC-9 parked in Toronto.  A DC-9F at Montego Bay and one in Norway.  I think the last time I left my MD-11F it was either in Seoul or Addis Ababa.  There's an A230 in Bogota and another in Rome, and I have a feeling I left one in Manila which will be headed to Japan at some point.  The Comanche is at Bozeman I think.  Don't remember where the C-182 is.  The 172 is in New Plymouth.  Can't remember where the T7F, Duke or Cub are either.  Cub at Goheen?  The Cherokee is at San Carlos.  There are a few 737s somewhere.  One certainly at Apia.  Q400 in south eastern Europe, maybe?  RJ100 in Zurich, or perhaps Stuttgart.  Spifire north of London somewhere.  The P-40 is in North Africa (Libya?  Tunisia?).  That'll need a good clean before it flies again.  Forever misplacing the darn things.  Just don't tell the insurance company.  So, no I don't have a home base.

ASNs lock to sim time is a wonderful feature.  I pick a time sometime in the last couple of days where ever in the world I'm flying at it'll pull out more or less what the weather was.  If it's a scheduled service I'll use the (approximate) scheduled time, give or take 15 minutes even if that time would have theoretically been 1979.

I usually begin at the nearest airport to me, KGCK, Garden City, Kansas, USA...Several reasons: Kansas is so flat it is impossible to hit anything; You can see for many miles because there is nothing there until you run into (literally) the Rocky Mountains in Colorado; If you crash, it is easy to find you; The one tree in Kansas makes a good navigation point...

Steve

KGCK

I typically use airports that I fly into in real life as my home bases such as kpsp as none of the smaller airports in my area as super accurate even with SCA installed. KAJO is my real life home base along with KPOC. I also have become very familiar with far away places such as KFHR and use that frequently as I am a very competent VFR flyer there now. 

5 hours ago, Mickel said:

There's a DC-9 parked in Toronto.  A DC-9F at Montego Bay and one in Norway.  I think the last time I left my MD-11F it was either in Seoul or Addis Ababa.  There's an A230 in Bogota and another in Rome, and I have a feeling I left one in Manila which will be headed to Japan at some point.  The Comanche is at Bozeman I think.  Don't remember where the C-182 is.  The 172 is in New Plymouth.  Can't remember where the T7F, Duke or Cub are either.  Cub at Goheen?  The Cherokee is at San Carlos.  There are a few 737s somewhere.  One certainly at Apia.  Q400 in south eastern Europe, maybe?  RJ100 in Zurich, or perhaps Stuttgart.  Spifire north of London somewhere.  The P-40 is in North Africa (Libya?  Tunisia?).  That'll need a good clean before it flies again.  Forever misplacing the darn things.  Just don't tell the insurance company.  So, no I don't have a home base.

ASNs lock to sim time is a wonderful feature.  I pick a time sometime in the last couple of days where ever in the world I'm flying at it'll pull out more or less what the weather was.  If it's a scheduled service I'll use the (approximate) scheduled time, give or take 15 minutes even if that time would have theoretically been 1979.

I love your approach Mickel! Variety is the spice of life.

Archived