The most beautiful *military* jet - please post!

Adam Banks

14 minutes ago, CZZ said:

Voyager:

F-35 reminds me of McNamara's folly, the F-111! [...]

Without controversy as I said, "not everything between the sky and the ground is real."

I would greatly appreciate your understanding in not open controversy ...;)
I like you a lot mate!:D

Voyager

5 hours ago, Snorre said:

I' m  far  away from my  FSX Computer, so there is no screenshot available, but  as a former F-104 Pilot my vote clearly goes to the  Starfighter!

Wow!  That must have been awesome piloting that rocket.  I have been reading up on the F-104 lately and as Adam says above, apparently there were many accidents.  It's definitely a unique aircraft.  And those stubby wings.  I saw a photo of one recently and I commented that it may as well not have any wings ;) .

The F-104 was another one I meant to put in my list. 

Cheers,

42 minutes ago, scottharmes6 said:

Wow!  That must have been awesome piloting that rocket.  I have been reading up on the F-104 lately and as Adam says above, apparently there were many accidents.  It's definitely a unique aircraft.  And those stubby wings.  I saw a photo of one recently and I commented that it may as well not have any wings ;) .

Cheers,

26 minutes ago, Snorre said:

Sadly, there were indeed many accidents. But later on, when the pilots got more experienced, the accident rate decreased again.

And yes, it was absolutely awesome to fly that aircraft!

Accidents in the air AND ground. As a kid I saw one of these aircraft on the ground and wondered what purpose did those foam shaped things protecting the leading edges serve. The ground crew, doing their job, patiently explained that the leading edges were so sharp you could cut yourself badly. I didn't cut myself but one head bump gave you a one-way ticket to the base clinic. 

Voting update ... I can see the field is starting to separate out out bit!

4 : Dassault Mirage

3 : Hawker Hunter
3 : F-16 Falcon

2 : F-35 JSF
2 : A-4 Skyhawk
2 : F/A-18E/F Super Hornet
2 : F-104 Starfighter

1 : Northrop F-5E Tiger
1 : Convair B-58 Hustler
1 : Dornier Alpha Jet
1 : F-4E Phantom II
1 : F-14 Tomcat
1 : Eurofighter Typhoon
1 : Boeing T-45
1 : Boeing B-52
1 : Grumman F4-F
1 : Lockheed U-2
1 : MiG-29
1 : L-39 Albatros

Adam.

14 hours ago, scottharmes6 said:

Cheers,

The Daily Express in England used to keep a running tally of the Luftwaffe F-104 losses. Of the 916 they received 292 were lost in accidents 116 were fatal. The RCAF fared even worse with 110 lost out of 235.

The wings had a leading edge of  0.41mm!

4 hours ago, neucoas said:

How i can forget about the F86 and Mig15. These are just rockets with wings and a cockpit.

Neu.

I have the F-86 and Mig-15 in DCS World and I can't stop flying the Mig-15.  An absolutely awesome recreation of a classic aircraft.

Cheers,

16 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

The Daily Express in England used to keep a running tally of the Luftwaffe F-104 losses. Of the 916 they received 292 were lost in accidents 116 were fatal. The RCAF fared even worse with 110 lost out of 235.

The wings had a leading edge of  0.41mm!

When I was a young USAF weather guy at Paine AFB, an F104 came in to be part of an airshow.  Two things I noticed while it was parked - wing leading edge protectors (they literally were 'cutting edge') and the spurs worn by the pilot so he could lock into his ejection seat, if and when.

On 12/31/2015 at 3:16 AM, olderndirt said:

When I was a young USAF weather guy at Paine AFB, an F104 came in to be part of an airshow.  Two things I noticed while it was parked - wing leading edge protectors (they literally were 'cutting edge') and the spurs worn by the pilot so he could lock into his ejection seat, if and when.

The spurs were designed to pull the pilot's feet back firmly to the ejection seat in the ejection sequence. Later on, with the newer Martin Baker seats, lines that were led through two points on the pilot's legs did that job and the spurs became obsolete.

BTW, the leading edges did cause some bad cuts every year. I remember one student pilot who cut himself and was off flying status for some weeks.

Used to see the A10 Warthog many years ago flying low over my house and I always thought that it epitomized the perfect military jet. Lean, mean and hungry looking.

This is an Iris aircraft flying over the Firth of Clyde in Scotland showing FTX Global, Vector and OpenLC scenery

Screenshot136ffea.png

Kind regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my final tally - looks like the Mirage is the winner! Well deserved, IMHO!

4 : Dassault Mirage

3 : F/A-18E/F Super Hornet
3 : F-104 Starfighter
3 : Hawker Hunter
3 : F-16 Falcon

2 : F-35 JSF
2 : A-4 Skyhawk
2 : L-39 Albatros
2 : F-86 Sabre
2 : Boeing T-45

1 : Northrop F-5E Tiger
1 : Convair B-58 Hustler
1 : Dornier Alpha Jet
1 : F-4E Phantom II
1 : F-14 Tomcat
1 : Eurofighter Typhoon

1 : Boeing B-52
1 : Grumman F4-F
1 : Lockheed U-2
1 : MiG-29
1 : A-10 Warthog
1 : EE Lightning

A new thread has now started here: Post your favourite MILITARY PROP aircraft (no Spitfires or Mustangs!)

Adam.

Archived