The most beautiful MILITARY prop aircraft - please post!

Adam Banks

Hard on the heels of "The most beautiful *military* jet - please post!" thread (here), we now have the PROPS version!

However ... just to make things a little more interesting ... we're going to rule out the Spitfire (and therefore its US counterpart - the P-51 Mustang)!

Note - we're talking about pure *looks* - not how significant/effective the aircraft may have been.

So ... please post your favourites here - in this topic.

1) Has to be a military PROP aircraft - of any era. Fighter, bomber, transport etc. - but has to be MILITARY.

2) Civilian aircraft that were used/modified for wartime use OK.

3) One pic only.

4) Respect the [general] forum rules - that pics need to show FTX scenery.

5) Say why it's your favourite/the most beautiful.

6) If possible, give details of the aircraft add-on/developer.

Off you go, chaps (while I rifle through my collection)!

Adam.

I had just decided on the Lockheed C-69 but thought why not something that was designed as a military plane.

The Douglas A-26 Invader is possibly my favourite propeller military aircraft by a whisker from several others.

Just seems a rightly proportioned aircraft with those large radial engines and big tail.

mb2.jpg

This is the FSX SOH A-26

Hmmm...this will be an interesting mix, Adam.  I wonder how it will break down between WWI and WWII aircraft?

Anyway, my choice is my absolute favorite plane...The Focke Wulf 190, specifically the A3 sub-variant.  This was the last of the Anton's that really matched what Kurt Tank originally designed.  I also love the whole Armin Faber story, so that's the skin this one wears.  When I joined the WingWalkers virtual squadron in 2004, this was the first bird I really got good at while we were flying the IL-2: Forgotten Battles expansion pack.  I have always had an affinity for the German planes, and I think this particular aircraft just looks the part!  Somewhere along the line, I looked in my small library of books, and realized I had a plethora of 190 literature.  Whatever it is about it, it's my all-time favorite.

The shot was from a flight in FSX w/DX10, from Orcas to Paine Field.  The aircraft is from the Classics-Hangar Early Anton series Fw190, and this skin is included in the package.  I highly recommend it, and any other work that Mathias has done.

Without any further adieu...Würger!!!

FWF4.jpg

Supposing the legendary Spitfire, if allowed but even restricted as the P-51, would be posted many times hereafter, my actual choice is the counterpart during the WWII 'Battle of Britain' campaign,

the German topfighter in these days was the Messerschmitt ME109, in follow shot in action over England, firing from his 4 cannons: 2 on the nose and at the wings

WOII-GermanFighter-ME109.jpg

This vastly produced aircraft in WWII, 13,738 were built, is my favorite aircraft. Maybe I fell in love with it because of the Flying Tigers. Who knows. Anyway, in a dogfight I wouldn't count much with it. This is the A2A P-40B Tomahawk over EGFF.

InUKEGFF-02.jpg

Here is the original ring and bead sight that I have from this aircraft:

20160118.jpg

Well .... how interesting!!! When I saw VH-KDK's A-26 Invader, it immediately reminded me of the Tigercat. Lo and behold - the "'Cat" gets posted in the next post but one.

When I put the topic up, I was thinking hard about the Fw-190 - only to find Chunk beat me to it!! Casting around for other favourites, I was thinking of the P-40 (we see one here very often at air shows in NZ). Guess what - that got posted too! This is uncanny!

Unless I've forgotten one, I may still plump for the Focke Wulf ...except that, for some reason, it keeps crashing my P3D (after having worked beautifully for months!). I must say I've always thought the Me-109 was a really neat little aircraft too.

RJ - that's real treasure trove stuff!!

Adam.

Ooooh ... I love that Aermacchi! I have to say that the C-130 nearly won in my own list of favourites. It always looks "just right" - from any angle. I live near NZWP and it's always a joy to see them pass low overhead.

I was going to plump for the Fw-190, but went instead for something very similar - a cross between the 190 and a Spitfire: the Hawker Sea Fury.

hawker_sea_fury_273_1350.jpg

This is my ancient Flying Stations version - that (unbelievably) appears to work in P3Dv3.1.

Adam.

6 hours ago, Adam_NZ said:

Ooooh ... I love that Aermacchi! I have to say that the C-130 nearly won in my own list of favourites. It always looks "just right" - from any angle. I live near NZWP and it's always a joy to see them pass low overhead.

I was going to plump for the Fw-190, but went instead for something very similar - a cross between the 190 and a Spitfire: the Hawker Sea Fury.

hawker_sea_fury_273_1350.jpg

This is my ancient Flying Stations version - that (unbelievably) appears to work in P3Dv3.1.

Adam.

I keep seeing aircraft that I adore, like I said the Invader won by a whisker. Then last night I did a long flight in the B-17, magic.

Now I see your choice of the Sea Fury, another plane I love flying.

Others are RJ's P-40, Hawker Typhoon and the Corsair. How hard it is to choose.

Skysong Sound works do a fantastic sound package to the Invader and also the Sea Fury in case you don't know. To me the sound is very import and and many of my planes have had a better sound added to them to give them that final touch.

These series of posts are a great idea and always interesting to see peoples choices.

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I keep seeing aircraft that I adore, like I said the Invader won by a whisker. Then last night I did a long flight in the B-17, magic.

Now I see your choice of the Sea Fury, another plane I love flying.

Others are RJ's P-40, Hawker Typhoon and the Corsair. How hard it is to choose.

Skysong Sound works do a fantastic sound package to the Invader and also the Sea Fury in case you don't know. To me the sound is very import and and many of my planes have had a better sound added to them to give them that final touch.

I must admit - all the aircraft posted so far are very much in my top ten, with many tying for 2nd place! I also love the F4-U and the other Hawkers ... but I wouldn't call them *beautiful*! Same for the B-17. Mind you - in RL they must look awesome!!!

Thanks for the Soundworks link. I just watched the video. Very impressive!!! If I can persuade the Fury not to somersault all over the place on startup, I may just add those sounds. I gave the Fury a topic all of its own ... The Pretender

Adam.

Big is beautiful. The Tupolev TU-95ms "Bear" has somehow snuck into the Pemberton Valley up there in BC.  First flown in 1952, the old girl has been around for a while. The tips of the propellers move around faster than the speed of sound, making it a rather noisy bird apparently.

Tupolev.jpg

5 hours ago, Mbaclawski said:

Hands Down C-130  for me , I can finally fly around in one without Freezing or Baking to death.  Much quieter too.

Yay! Apparently not that quiet if you're sat in the back!!!

4 hours ago, rlaycock said:

Can I cheat and list a second as it is actual 1st equal with the C-130?

The DC-3  Dakota  or C-47

Seeing as it's you ... yes (!!) ... but only because you gave me an idea (LOL) ... for my next "voting topic" ... to give three choices - with 3 points to No.1, 2 to No.2 etc. That way, it'd be theoretically possible for a popular 2nd place to overtake a less popular 1st place.

4 hours ago, warren said:

Big is beautiful. The Tupolev TU-95ms "Bear" has somehow snuck into the Pemberton Valley up there in BC.  First flown in 1952, the old girl has been around for a while. The tips of the propellers move around faster than the speed of sound, making it a rather noisy bird apparently.

Well done, Warren! How could I have forgotten that one! Such an *amazing* aircraft. They actually displayed one at a display at RAF Fairford once - quite historic, considering the usual reaction was to scramble a Lightning (or Eurofighter) or two! It was an unforgettable sight!

Adam.

6 hours ago, warren said:

Tupolev.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9S3h37GW2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzbWydg9gvA

Watch these 2 clips Warren and turn up the volume.

The nearest to this I have heard was a Shackelton overshooting Eastleigh one quiet Sunday morning, the noise is still ringing in my ears 36 years later.

Now there is another one, the Shackelton, what a beautiful plane.

Hey Adam, do one with our favourite 20 military prop planes in order, then we can choose the Mustang and the Spitfire in out top 20s.:o:lol:

I love the Hercules, and the F7F Tigercat and the Aeromacchi C.202 look beautiful, but I chose an old favourite.  It was hard to pick between two planes from the WWII era that have always been favourites of mine and are both famous and beautiful aircraft; the Lockheed P-38 Lightning and the De Havilland Mosquito.

In the end I think for me the most beautiful is the "Wooden Wonder", the De Havilland Mosquito.  

2016-1-20_22-50-46-892.jpg

Cheers,

7 hours ago, Adam_NZ said:

Yay! Apparently not that quiet if you're sat in the back!!!

Seeing as it's you ... yes (!!) ... but only because you gave me an idea (LOL) ... for my next "voting topic" ... to give three choices - with 3 points to No.1, 2 to No.2 etc. That way, it'd be theoretically possible for a popular 2nd place to overtake a less popular 1st place.

Well done, Warren! How could I have forgotten that one! Such an *amazing* aircraft. They actually displayed one at a display at RAF Fairford once - quite historic, considering the usual reaction was to scramble a Lightning (or Eurofighter) or two! It was an unforgettable sight!

Adam.

Happy to second the Mosquito for top spot, followed by FW190. Read years ago a quote that standing at the of a runway watching a Mossie lift off was like watching a cat leap.... Waiting for a new rig to be delivered and looking forward to similar graphic effects...

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9S3h37GW2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzbWydg9gvA

Watch these 2 clips Warren and turn up the volume.

The nearest to this I have heard was a Shackelton overshooting Eastleigh one quiet Sunday morning, the noise is still ringing in my ears 36 years later.

Now there is another one, the Shackelton, what a beautiful plane.

Good find Martyn. Thanks for the links. Must be an awesome experience to see one fly overhead.

11 minutes ago, mp1852 said:

Well, with the 109 and 190 already posted and the Spit banned I have to post a Heinkel :-)

Nice choice! I nearly went for the He-111 ^_^

Probably too late to edit your post - but your choice can be one of the ones already posted. Sadly, I can't edit my original post to make that a little clearer. I'll get it right for the *next* one :D

Adam.

4 minutes ago, Adam_NZ said:

Nice choice! I nearly went for the He-111 ^_^

Probably too late to edit your post - but your choice can be one of the ones already posted. Sadly, I can't edit my original post to make that a little clearer. I'll get it right for the *next* one :D

Adam.

Thanks Adam.

I was aware that I can post an aircraft already posted, but I thought a little variety would be nice ^_^

Gotta go with Chunk on the Focke Wulf...

Place in history: The Focke-Wulf 190 was the most advanced radial engine fighter in the world when it entered combat. 

Its appearance in the fall of 1941 was a rude awakening for Allied designers and pilots. The new German plane was an ideal dogfighter – fast, light, and small. It was more than a match for contemporary versions of the British Spitfire. The Focke-Wulf 190 was also heavily-armed and immensely strong, giving it the ability to fly in ground attack roles as well. 

Forever compared to the Messerschmitt Bf 109, many German fighter pilots considered the Fw 190 the better plane at medium to low altitudes. Later in the war, improved versions of the Focke-Wulf fighter were designed to perform at heights above 20,000 feet. 

FockeWulfFW190A51-11 (1).jpg

Archived