A nostalgic look back at Orbx's roots

John Venema

Oh happy hours of frustration. FS9 VOZ Internet by Compuserve. free Dial up that used to make your ears bleed with its screeching 5/10 mins to get connected only for it to drop out after 2 mins I remember the dreams that VOZ instiled in me of Super Scenery and now thanks to the determination of John and All the people along the way my dreams have reached fruition

I started with FS5 and  due to the determination of All developers past and present we have got a simulator that is as they say AS REAL as it gets

Thank you All

Mike

I remember how revolutionary VOZ was and did what I could in my limited capacity to help the freeware concept.  

When FTX was announced I was still convinced VOZ and FS9 could hardly be bettered so I dragged the chain on embracing it.

Then I took the plunge and bought FSX Gold and the AU Blue DVD and my life changed forever. 

Thee are many unsung champions of the FS World who have come and gone but for sure two of the greatest have been JV and JK.  Without them I can't see any way that the whole transformation of so much of the world would have taken place.  It might have proceeded in dribs and drabs and Megascenery type scenery would probably be the best we could hope for

So thanks JV, JK, and all the dozens of devs and enthusiasts who have contributed to making my boyhood dream of flying 99% real even though it is virtual.

A big thanks from me (VOZ, OZx and ORBX user from the beginning) for all the shining hours of flightsimming over that great southern contry and later the rest of the world. Especially the wealth of high quality freeware is still astonishing and outstanding.

Merry Christmas to all the ORBX team!

Thanks for the memories John and Jay.  It has been a great 10 year ride from VOZ.99 to Southern California.  Watching the ORBX magic unfold with steady improvements and realism.  VOZ was and still is a great scenery system.

I've been simming since the days of FS3. Somehow I completely missed the existence of VOZ. Looking at all these vids I sure missed out on some great scenery for those days! My introduction to your scenery was Orbx and AU Blue. That was even more a revolution than VOZ was. Keep on going John and team! I am looking forward to what the future will bring.:)

I started using your products only 2 years ago. But I have a kind of connection with VOZ.

I started virtual flying with flightgear and then Xplane. And my first sceneries for Xplane was a VOZ translation. I got hooked and it is by researching VOZ that I found out about ORBX and made the switch to FSX. Was a hard choice for me as I use linux as my primary OS for almost 15 years now, and if I can do something in linux I generally do not bother with doing it in windows.  The last 2 years I found myself using windows a lot more heh heh.

Merry Xmas and thanks for sharing those videos John and JayK

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JV, JK and all the others who have helped along the way, been attempting to fly since original FS, but did not have the hardware or the budget at the time so it was a wire frame slide show. Then I saw video of Vista Australis, had to wait a while to save and buy a computer that could run FS9. When Orbx software came out, could not wait to upgrade machine and get FXS so I could install it.

Thanks for the ride, keep up the great work

I remember I started with Au Gold in 2008.  I had recently spent a lot of money on another scenery developer who never did deliver on their promise and I was hesitant to spend more but after seeing how complete and good 'Gold' was, I quickly bought blue and green and waited for red.  I was very happy with all of it and then PNW came along and I was even more blown out of the water.  thats the good thing about Orbx...they keep upping themselves.  and they also care more about product than money and thats hugely important for me.

Happy anniversary JV and Orbx.

Hi JV,

Ever since I first became a customer of Orbx, with an Australian scenery, I have been confused over the terms Orbx and FTX. Orbx is stated as a company, yet the term FTX is somewhat vague.

The Orbx main site is named as fullterrain.com. On the About page, FTX is stated to be a terrain region technology, but does not list FTX as an attribute of its airports, yet on the Home page there are a group of FTX global airports.

The forums are on a site named orbxsystems.com. This appears to lead to a confusing set of forum names

Could anything be done to make the naming of sites and products more consistent?

All that said, I am a very keen supporter and user of many of your products and would like to thank you for the years of enjoyment that you have given me. I hope that I shan't get too old to see the addition of many more superb products.

A very happy 2016 to you! 

Kind regards, Richard

I can safely say that I probably still wouldn't be simming if not for Orbx. Australia has always been one of my favorite regions, with Tamworth near the top of the airport list. And I'm not even an Aussie :)

My first product was NA Pacific Northwest, and to this day, flying out of Hope airport when the sun is setting along with a nice cloud set still ranks among my all time favorite flights.  (Hint: for any of you who owns NA Pacific Northwest, try a flight out of this airport ;) )

Cheers to the last 10 years, and to the next!

3 hours ago, tdavart said:

I can safely say that I probably still wouldn't be simming if not for Orbx. Australia has always been one of my favorite regions, with Tamworth near the top of the airport list. And I'm not even an Aussie :)

Glad to have helped keep you in the hobby :)

Tamworth was my favorite airport I worked on, mainly because we did so much innovation during its very long development process and because I personally drove to the airport twice and took photos and met the RAAF CO and his team there. Did you know Orbx spent a year working on an FS9 version of YSTW that taught us many skills but was never released as payware? We actually gave it away as freeware shortly after beginning work on FSX projects.

Seeing as this thread is still going (I missed it before xmas) I'd like to add my congrats and thanks for 10 years of excellent simming.

I completed my most thorough ever tour using VOZ 1.8, all around the coast of Australia, with lots of forays to the interior. Something like 15,000 miles and the memories still stand up even compared with trips from California up to Alaska covering all the Orbx North America scenery. I must repeat the Oz journey sometime using FTX.

:)

Archived