A nostalgic look back at Orbx's roots

John Venema

Back in 2005 I began work on a personal scenery project for FS2004 which became Vista Australis or VOZ, and it spawned a life and community of its own. I remember working on our little website and forum with Jay Kae and the excitement of the VOZ 0.99 release day.

From the team who had worked with me on VOZ we formed a fledgling company called Orbx.

Here is the promo trailer for VOZ 0.99 I made ahead of the release just before Christmas 2005, exactly 10 years ago this week!

So how far have we come in 10 years?

Compare this image from VOZ 1.1 ..

bundaberg.jpg

..to one from FILOU posted recently of FTX Global with openLC EU:

ScreenShot12-21-15at05.00PM2.png

I can't imagine what we'll be able to show you in December 2025 :)

Thanks to everyone, especially those here from the VOZ days, for coming along for the ride!

Thanks JV!  Great promo vid for sure.  I started with VOZ in '05 and have enjoyed the ride ever since.  Great quality, great company, unequaled service, top notch all around.  And thanks for allowing me to be involved as a tester, it's a labor of love for sure.

Best to you and your new bride for this Christmas and the coming New Year.

Wish I was here from the beginning of this whole awesome thing you've created here but I'm still glad I found ORBX when I did.

I couldn't imagine simming without FTX scenery.

Merry Christmas JV and all ORBX contributors, you've really made a lot of people very happy over the years, that is truly something to be very proud of I would say :)

Very cool fs2004 video btw, how did I miss this great scenery with fs9, my head must have been in the sand :lol:

Fantastic John I remember it well, though all I remember was buying the AU series, gold blue red and green, not sure if that was for FS 2004 or FSX. I expect other people will put me right on it. Here's to the future and long may Orbx reign. Derek.

LOL, I still have Voz on my FS9 install !  It was great back then, and for FS9, it's still cuttinge edge!  It's been quite a ride!  Who would have thought, that we would come this far ...  

(BTW, like the new picture John, nice beard. )

Happy Holidays, and Happy Anniversary!

Sue

This was great for the time!!! No HD trees!!! ha ha ha

Now I went to Youtube directly to see it and saw that you already got 2 dislike.... ha ha ha, I gave you a like!

And a critic if I may, I like your older avatar better

Now go see in the video section... be proud of what just came out, it's my first of a few....

Ben

Well then chaps I had just started to use FSX back in 2008 and was looking for something better than the scenery that came with it and then I came across Orbx by chance and I thought these blokes look like they know how to knock out a scenery and started to buy various scenery and airports. And I have never looked back in fact im sure if I had not come across Orbx then I would have packed up with flightsimming for good. ive been here now seven years and seen how the great products have grown into fantastic products raising the bar with every new release, im very privileged to play a very small part of the Team here and will do for as long as JV will let me.

I for one cant wait to see what 2016 will bring but I know it will be a fantastic year for us all to savour by this very talented Team here at Orbx,

cheers

Iain

Your scenery has turned me into an addict for flight simulation, and I have no regrets nor offer any apology for my addiction. Many hours of learning and satisfaction have been my reward. Your dream of offering the best possible scenery means a constant creative flow fed by the talents of great developers. a "Dream Team" by any definition. Happy Birthday and sincere thanks.

Back then, I read an interview with JV about VOZ and, as someone who flies predominantly down under it was an instant must have. I distinctly remember on first run after installing my jaw dropped at how good it was. It's still an outstanding achievement and no FS9 install is complete without it, in my opinion.

A decade on, JV and many of the same developers still lead the way. We are lucky to have them.

Congratulations to you John, Jay Kae, and the team. You have made a signal contribution to our community – one deeply appreciated by all of us.
Best wishes to all of you and your families this Holiday Season.

--Mike

Seems like it was yesterday I met you at BEV my old friend, your vision at the time and the quality of your textures made me believe in the concept of VOZ. I remember how hard it was to deliver that "huge" piece of software at the time, the cost of bandwidth was astronomic at the time but we did it, you did it. I've always been happy to just be the guy behind the scenes and be a part of something very special and be awed by the scenery that was put out first for FS9 and then for FSX. On the late Alpha of FSX then beta where the things you were saying to the MS team were not taken well, only later to be proven 100% right. I could go on for hours but in the end of the day, VOZ and Orbx would not be were it not for all the loyal members of the community we have cherished since day one.

Thank you my friend for letting me be a part of it, Merry Christmas to you and yours and to everyone here 

I remember being blown away by Vista OZ, I got on board and have not stopped. I remember dreaming that maybe one day I would be able to fly across Australia without having to restart the sim with the new textures applied.

Well, I cannot remember Vista OZ. I suppose I was not really into FS then.

What I can remember is reading about ORBX Australian scenery and being amazed by its realism. It was for FSX but I only had FS9, DAMN IT!

A few days later we were at Natfly09 ( a big annual fly in for mostly homebuilt and RAA aircraft) at Narromine. My wife went "shopping" while I was taking photos and she came back with amongst other things a copy of FSX Deluxe. She never knew I that I was considering getting FSX, it just happened.

A few more days later 27 April 2009, I brought my first ORBX product, a DVD of Australia Avalon Air show edition.

That was it, my association with ORBX and FSS as a customer had began. I was hooked. Yesterday I placed my 150th order with FSS bearing in mind many of the orders are for multiple items.

I have all the ORBX sceneries except for 2, many Asian airports, several utilities  and scores of aircraft.

I am totally immersed and have moved on to P3D. I fly to look at the amazingly realistic scenery the ORBX team have given us.

Now I am in trouble as I am trying to get things ready for Christmas and once again I have been side tracked by things FS.

Thanks to the ORBX and FSS  teams for their massive contribution to the FS world.

Hope I, and everybody else is around in 2025 to see what is on offer then.

Happy Christmas and New Year to you all.

Congratulations John and Jay Kae. A truly magnificent effort. I remember the BEV textures and Koorbygen. I thought they were great but the modern Orbx textures are so close to reality it's hard to see how they can be bettered.

Regards Michael.

It took dogged determination combined with incredible talent to get the whole project off the ground ( pun intended ).

But you two guys did it and then went on to attract a talented team and give us the World according to ORBX.

Keep 'em coming.

Bill

Ah the joy of VOZ which I joined at its beginning  - so far ahead of anything else for FS9 and freeware to boot!  The feeling in the VOZ forum was amazing - I was so chuffed when I reached "Bloody Legend" status :lol:  A LAME mate of mine still uses my old FS 9 VOZ PC and refuses to go to FSX - reckons it can't be better!

JV, Jay and The Team deserve everything they have achieved after such a tremendous start with VOZ - simming was never the same after that.

I remember it well JV, I can't believe 10 years have passed. I still clearly remember no ADSL only dial up and trying to find ways to get that download. Thanks to the generosity of Adrian at The Flight Sim Store who was supplying the Scenery on disc to those people having difficulty downloading. I still have that disc today. 

Congratulations JV, and a Merry Christmas to you and all the Orbx staff.

Cheers, John

I remember when some dude that went by Koorby wrote a tutorial on how to use LWMViewer2 to make a "VOZplug". Well, I made an "IDAplug" and turned half my home state into something recognizable, lol. Felt like I'd been totally set free armed with that knowledge! Progressed a small amount since then but that's basically what started it all for me. Thanks!

Remember this John ? Screenshot taken on December 28th, 2015 :)

eedfeFv.png

The last version ever released was 1.8 and is still available from here:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/502-voz-18-complete/

My memory got triggered too, AVSIM was going to host our files and when their servers were slammed Tom Cantrememberhisname kicked our files off the server and we fell back on our own back up plan, all this happened the night of release.

I remember some of these videos, JayKay. I'm on board since 2006 and VOZ was my entry ticket into the wonderful world of FS9 in those days. Everything else at that time was well...low quality compared to VOZ. And VOZ was totally FREEE!! Thank you all at ORBX for what you have and will give to this wonderful community, where we can gather from all over the world and share our experience and appreciation. 

Keep up the great work and merry Christmas to everyone.

Archived