Who is the official Oldest Guy here?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most of us consider ourselves on the downwind Dominique.  At least I do. 

And far from depressing for John V and crew we are examples for those still on cruising altitude to look forward too.

"Why Sonny, 50 years ago when we only had Australia we never dreamt we'd be sitting under and Orbx palm tree on Bali watching coconuts fall from them as Bobbette  came over and served us lemonade while our XBU89Cs were being refueled."

Noel

The day we can't drink Bobette's lemonade no more is the day we'd better board and fire up the XBU89c, is that what you mean ?

18!

Yeah, I'm young... It's really sad because my generation doesn't have much of an interest in aviation or flight simming in general..

Being young is an illness you get cured soon enough. Anywway, I'm 66 and people my age certainly consider that I'm a little weird to have all these joysticks and stuff in my den.   

38 here, but i am glad to see people are living longer and healthier than they use too,i can't find people outside the community that shares my interest in aviation either,so outrage they are out there, your age, just not seen on the forums 

73 in 12 days - 26 June. Been flight simming since fs5. Retired 14+ years now and fly most days..always in orbxland - get withdrawal symptoms if I miss a couple of days. Good on you 80+ guys...any centurions out there...yet?

Don

Bobbettes will still be serving lemonade in Orbxland after we are resting in that green grass land fill with flowers.

I don't know about you, but I expect it will be quite a long time before I go there. I have a goal.

In 1937 I was 3 1/2 years old and my mom took me across the Golden Gate Bridge the day it opened to the public.

I have to be there to reprise that walk on it's 100th birthday so I have to make it to 103 1/2. But me and my walker will be there.

And Dominique...people have considered me weird all my life.

Noel

18!

Yeah, I'm young... It's really sad because my generation doesn't have much of an interest in aviation or flight simming in general..

Glad you said that.

I've been wondering.......... exactly what does your generation have an interest in?

:ph34r:

If this thread teaches me anything it is that, at 45, I can look forward to another four decades of addiction.

Shall I rejoice or despair?

If that is a selfie you have as a picture.....I would despair as soon as possible. >:D

I agree with Noel regarding the Great Courses. They provide quality educational experiences at a reasonable price. I also agree that intentional reading is a fine way to keep learning and continue to expand horizons. I also (seriously) think that flight sim is an invaluable means of staying alert while at the same time becoming more geographically aware.

But the best way to stay vigorous is to participate in the world of ORBX  The latest scientific studies show that purchasing ORBX products and taking part in the ORBX Forums increases lifespan, reduces hemorrhoids, improves prostate function, raises intelligence quotient, and substantially improves attractiveness to the opposite sex. The younger readers of this thread probably don't worry about such things, but we older respondents know that every bit counts.

And by the way, another scientific study shows that having a pet is good for Old Guys. So I've arranged for a free kitten to be sent to each participant in this thread. Expect delivery soon. Enjoy. :D

Brilliant thread - although being on crosswind (61 1/2 - the half is important at this end of the scale!) I really enjoyed reading this far. My avator pic caused a cousin of mine to ask if I was cultivating a Dumbledore look - did I really look THAT crumbly?

Someone, somewhen said one should grow old gracefully, but my mum (still alive and kicking) handed me a small book with the title "Growing old disgracefully" - now that's my style. I finally took my motorcycle driving test a couple of years ago (finally legal, despite a Triumph 650 and other larger bikes under my behind over the decades) and now I enjoy the occasional adrenaline rush on the motorways at 200 Km/h.

...and in sim? Well you'll probably still see me flying upside down through Tower Bridge in London for a few more years yet... at least the sim is one place where you CAN get to be an Old And Bold pilot.

Oh... yes, the last time I went to the Aerosoft conference here in Germany I went with the apprehension I might be too old. How wrong I was - there was more "light silver overcast" there than I have ever seen in one place. Made me feel positively fitter and younger.

58 years old. Avid bass player. Into Rammstein, old fashioned F1 (ie GPL), watching my beloved Owls, my family. Still cycle 100 to 150 miles a week and doing Tourmalet, Aubisque and Peyresourde (and hopefully a few more) in my trip to France next month.

Been with Microsoft's Flight Sim since having V5.1 bundled with my first home PC back in 1995. Now using FSX:SE and enjoying it as much as ever. Great time to be in the hobby.....who knows how flight sims will look in another 20 years?

A mere 62 for me and started when flight sim was powered ny DOS3.1 !!! Now retired, lost medical cat for real world flying, but make up with P3D and all the Orbx trimmings - plus nearly bankrupting myself buying add on aircraft by the fleet!! Passed motorbike test a couple of years ago, and now on my second new bike. Get my adrenalin rush that way. As others say, there are not enough hours in the day for me to do what I want to since retiring. Great thread, and feels good to be a relative "juvenile" on here!!

Kev

Glad you said that.

I've been wondering.......... exactly what does your generation have an interest in?

I think the main problem with simming is the accessibility of it, back when I used FSX regularly (Just use it for Leonardo Maddog now), I had a very hard time getting my hands on a copy of FSX for cheap.. Now that we have FSX Steam edition however, I've seen more people my age that are "casual" simmers.

That being said, most of us have Steam and use it quite regularly for gaming. Most of my friends and I play games like Battlefield Bad Company 2, Team Fortress 2, Fallout (And I really can't wait for Fallout 4!), and occasionally some good ole' Age of Empires 2. We're also all heavily into music. As far as gaming goes, most of my generation either falls into the category of,

A: Focuses on school A TON and has never played a video game in their life

B: Focuses on school but plays games occasionally

C: Focuses on school but plays games whenever they get the chance

It also doesn't help that about 4:10 of the people I know have flown in their life. I got into Flightsimming because of my dad, who's a pilot, which took me long enough to get into (I was 13 at the time and went for about 3 years before I got bit by the payware bug  ::) ). Now just imagine those 4:10 people who have flown before but maybe 2:10 of them would be interested in trying Flightsimming, 1:10 would use it casually, and .5:10 would be as into it as any of us. 

I agree with Noel regarding the Great Courses. They provide quality educational experiences at a reasonable price. I also agree that intentional reading is a fine way to keep learning and continue to expand horizons. I also (seriously) think that flight sim is an invaluable means of staying alert while at the same time becoming more geographically aware.

But the best way to stay vigorous is to participate in the world of ORBX  The latest scientific studies show that purchasing ORBX products and taking part in the ORBX Forums increases lifespan, reduces hemorrhoids, improves prostate function, raises intelligence quotient, and substantially improves attractiveness to the opposite sex. The younger readers of this thread probably don't worry about such things, but we older respondents know that every bit counts.

And by the way, another scientific study shows that having a pet is good for Old Guys. So I've arranged for a free kitten to be sent to each participant in this thread. Expect delivery soon. Enjoy. :D

I have to agree with you Rodger.

However in my case I already have all the Orbx sceneries and the PayPal account is patiently awaiting the next one.

I'm still quite good looking and years ago I passed both MENSA exams but never joined the organization (not bragging, just stating a fact). I went to one meeting but didn't much care for the people there. They took themselves much too seriously.

I am also still quite healthy. Still have all but one of my natural teeth and all of my hair. My blood pressure runs in the 110 to 125 range. But I have to admit I'm not quite as fully functional as I once was and about 20 pounds overweight (keeping up with the rest of the country you know. I don't want to look un-patriotic). And I walk a mile every morning after my first cup of coffee.

And save your kittens. I am already owned by a consortium of 5 of them.

Noel

I'll pass on the free kiten, please Rodger.   I have 2 shelter cats now. m They are 9.  My dog pound rescue, is a golgen retriver, aussie sheoherd mi. He's  just turned 5, and 80 lbs.  I have my quota !

LOL

Sue

Hi, olderndirt. Where do I get one of those? I've gotta show up the Navy F-18 guys who keep showing off next door at Fairchild AFB.

And Hi, Sue. And what a great bunch in your menagerie! Give them all a hug from a dog-cat lover who now lives in a dog-cat-prohibited apartment complex.

By the way, my funny ha-ha  doctor revised his physical exam summary. He says that his tests show that I am actually testing out remarkably young. Latest results show that I have the mind of a three-year-old. I think I will switch doctors.

Hi, I'm 63 years "young"  in September. My friends in the same age say I'm crazy. ::)  I'm playing with airplanes on the computer and listening to rock music like AC / DC and other groups. My wife and my daughter found my interests okay. :)

I have a Windows Desktop (for Flightsimulation) and a notebook (using by my wife), a Macbook pro (Apple) for music management and photos, an IPad and two IPhones. Most of my friends cannot understand this. Okay, is their thing.

You 're as young as you feel!! 8):lol:

Geez - at 81 and 1/2 - I thought I was easily going to win! Never knew I was surrounded by so many other old geezers in this hobby. I had my first real flight in a commercial DC-3 in 1946, have loved airplanes ever since, done a little glider flying, started flight simming sometime in the eighties, but can't remember the name of the simulation (senior moment) - but it sure was crude!

Geez - at 81 and 1/2 - I thought I was easily going to win! Never knew I was surrounded by so many other old geezers in this hobby. I had my first real flight in a commercial DC-3 in 1946, have loved airplanes ever since, done a little glider flying, started flight simming sometime in the eighties, but can't remember the name of the simulation (senior moment) - but it sure was crude!

Was there a prize for winning?

Perhaps a free vacation to the Australian Outback in the middle of Summer drinking seawater from the California Coast?

Archived