The Desert Oasis: Introducing Palm Springs International Airport!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am absolutely stunned. I need to go back and spend about 30 minutes looking at all of the details. The waterpark is bonkers. I am incredibly pleased that Orbx is creeping closer and closer to my back yard!

Jarrad, I hope you are very proud of this.

Outstanding work, expect a day-1 purchase from me.

I really hope this is a Preview of future products as well. It's perfect for GA and Airliner pilots, you can fly a 172 to the different fields and fly the NGX out to PHX or DEN or LAX easily, also its nice to finally see you guys doing ariports that are larger and dont require a Region. 

Looking really great!

I like the fact that it is also FTX Global compatible and not only with one of the regions. Hopefully this trend started with the PNG experience will continue and we'll see some more big "heavy metal" airports being done for FTX Global.

Is there any chance that maybe older products like YBBN or PAKT could get an update, so that they are also compatible with FTX Global? I am only flying airliners, so it doesn't pay off for me to buy all the regions, but I would love to get those great looking ORBX airports into my sim...

Yet again the bar has been raised... absolutely amazing work!

I completely agree with others who have already mentioned how great it is to see large developments like this for FTX Global... gets my vote and hope to see more in the future.

Jarrad..........THIS has went beyond flight sim and entered a whole new art form. Been starring at these for an hour now during dinner. Just simply stunning. SAC will definitely will be putting a base here. I mean WOW......

Thanks again everyone, very chuffed to receive the nice feedback. Makes those late nights definitely worth it!

Amazing! will this be compatible with OpenLC NA and the planned SoCal region?

Scott

It will indeed, once these are both ready later down the track. 

I can't begin to imagine the work that must go into something like this. It's superb - there's no other word for it. And I even looked up whether the US Navy operates F-16s - yes, they do.

I was a bit surprised about this too Paul - I had to do a bit of reading up on the Navy F-16's as well. 

Jarrad, fantastic stuff, could we see some dusk and or night shots in the next preview.
Will it be out before Christmas?

Thanks Ken - will be sure to include some proper night/dusk shots in the next round. I can't give a time frame on it, but I trust these shots give a decent indication of how the scenery is progressing :)

I am absolutely stunned. I need to go back and spend about 30 minutes looking at all of the details. The waterpark is bonkers. I am incredibly pleased that Orbx is creeping closer and closer to my back yard!

Thanks mate, I'm glad you noticed the water park, as it was a lot of fun (read: pain the a$#@!) to make.. RE getting closer to your back yard, I remember you making a similar comment about KMRY, and I had to hold my tongue back then because I knew KPSP was a definite possibility :)

Cheers,

Jarrad

stunning work Jarrad !

And... for thoses who don't get Global, any chance it comes with an SCA region ?

I don't have global but I plan on buying this....  I'd imagine it will work ok... won't blend in nicely on the edges but oh well.  Like I said I use it for online flying.

Absolutely outstanding.  I love visiting Palm Springs (though I'm definitely NOT a good golfer!).

Am I understanding this correctly, that PSP will be compatible with FTX Global Base, no other requirements?  I don't own any other regions, airport, Vector, or OpenLC, just Global and the wonderful freeware airport packages, (I know, I know :wacko::-[ ) and would love for this to be my first FTX/ORBX airport.

Cheers again guys :) 

Am I understanding this correctly, that PSP will be compatible with FTX Global Base, no other requirements?  I don't own any other regions, airport, Vector, or OpenLC, just Global and the wonderful freeware airport packages, (I know, I know :wacko::-[ ) and would love for this to be my first FTX/ORBX airport.

That's correct - I have tried to make KPSP as user-friendly as possible by only having the requirement of FTX Global; this is why I included a bunch of terrain content (custom landclass, custom seasons, some vector data, Holgermesh etc) with the airport itself. Of course once SCA is done, I will be making the appropriate edits to ensure full compatibility with that product. 

Does this scenery have moving jetways? I don't see this in the feature list.

Unfortunately not for the initial release I'm sorry Patrick - though I did set the heights of many of the jetways to commonly-used aircraft heights. 737NG, A320, 777 and Q400 are catered for, and the secondary terminal (which I didn't include a close-up shot with in this preview) caters for smaller regional jets and turboprops without jetways. 

Will PeopleFlow Golfers be included?  Being a huge golfer that would be very cool to see.  It's not necessary though.

G'day James, I'll have a couple of (non-animated) golfers around the place for sure, in fact you might recognise them from Monterey. But with 50+ golf courses in the area, finding them may be a little tricky! I'll be sure to include a couple of shots in the next preview batch.

Cheers,

Jarrad

Fantastic rendition, Jarrad.

As I have only FSX default scenery in the SoCal area will there be a major conflict

beside abrupt borderlines and texture mismatch between local scenery and default FSX scenery?

I guess all runway/taxiway light adjustments as already included in KMRY will be hopefully there too;

very helpfull for FSX DX10 user.

Please convince the ORBX managment to challange the FTX SoCal roadmap ::) 

Wulf

God this is beautiful work Jarrad!  I think this is the route that ORBX should have gone in the first place.  I prefer more Photoreal than generic textures anyway.  Although Orbx has some really nice textures.  You can not reproduce the fantastic color patterns of nature, in this most obvious in the desert.  I really hope FTX SoCal uses mostly photo-real for the unpopulated high mountain desert areas and such.   Not to mention, the Frame rate factor.  Objects can be filled in later with great airport scenery like this.  Either that or, go to a "Hi-Lo" format.  As in high altitude IFR type scenery (Photoreal) for better frames with the Complex Jets.  Low altitude VFR slow flight in Choppers and GA, that gives our P.C.'s more time to load all the magnificent 3d objects that Jarrad is known for.  All I know is OOM's suck!  -Woog

Archived