FTX NCA - Golden Gate Park, SFO

Hello all,

Although the upcoming Cityscape San Francisco is not going to be included in the initial NCA release (we did not want to hold the project up too much longer), we have added in GGP as photoreal for you. Some preview shots below:

6yjaS.jpg

patqu.jpg

wb5Py.jpg

PtfoY.jpg

Cityscape San Francisco is being developed by Scott Armstrong and will be a freeware release much like Tim Harris' Portland was for PNW. Expect that in the next few months if not sooner.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I remember how much I enjoyed flying around NCA in FS9 with just photoreal. This is going to be so much better. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for the previews. I didn't realize we were getting a free version of SanFran too, later. That's exciting and unexpected. Thanks for all of your hard work on this Orbx. :)

I didn't realize there was going to be a cityscape San Francisco.  Outstanding news!

Been looking forward to NorCal for a long time.  Anxious to visit some favorite spots and a few familiar airports.

Scott

Holy Sh......!!! :)

+1

... What sort of fps can we expect to get around San Fransisco?

Please developers: Don't care too much about this! Think about P3D 2.x in a year or so with two (or even three) GTX 890 GPUs in SLI and new CPUs at 5 Ghz. There is more headroom in the future! And for the time being we can always tune down the autogen a bit.

Any chance of cityscape featuring the trolley system? ;)

Just put some flowers in your hair Bruce and sing the 60's hit are you going to San Francisco, thats as real as it gets! :)

Play following song when circling SFO Park in the cub until dizzy... there you go, who needs trams/trolleys...chill man! ;)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ_WG3d3GL8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi JV,

I think it is great the free products Orbx gives it's customers, especially something like SFO. Most other companies sell this type of stuff.

My concern is that I don't want to see Orbx go under, but rather continue to develop techniques and airports until I am too old to enjoy Flight Simming. And I don't want to have to fall back to lesser standard products which I have to use in areas Orbx doesn't do. Orbx airports are alive like no others I have ever seen. I really believe Orbx needs to survive for Flight Simming to survive.

Whilst many will hate me for saying this, Orbx gives away to much for free. SFO is a major undertaking and really some monetary reward for all this work needs to be received by Orbx, to if nothing else, give the company research funding or maybe even fund less popular areas such as NZ. Even these triple installers giving P3D, FSX and FS9 cost time and money. Again, even a small cost I am sure people would see the reality of the need to fund the work and development. The decision for P3D V3 to be at a cost is a good economic decision. So much updating is done at no cost to the customer, but at a cost to Orbx that really could be used for further research.

I don't know the financial position of Orbx, but I want to see Orbx around for many years as there is still nothing like it.

So I guess what I am saying is customers paying even $10 for SFO, and $5 extra for the new P3D installers ( which in themselves is a lot of work ) really is not asking customers too much. Orbx has been very generous for many years, and sometimes as I read the forums, I think many customers fail to appreciate what we get given for nothing, as many other companies don't do all this work for nothing. Paying for updates that fix problems missed in the original release can stay free as they are at the moment as that is a different issue.

So JV, don't cut yourself short, you don't have to charge the earth, but a small cost for things like SFO could well be used to help Orbx, by funding future research, and maybe funding new products that are risky, or even other such cities.

Best wishes

Anthony

Nothing John V likes better than a bunch of weekend marketing majors giving him helpful suggestions on how to run his business.

EDIT: I am including myself into that group, also, should anything think I am pointing a finger -- I am also guilty as charged on occassion, but trying hard to reform.

Hi JV,

I think it is great the free products Orbx gives it's customers, especially something like SFO. Most other companies sell this type of stuff.

My concern is that I don't want to see Orbx go under, but rather continue to develop techniques and airports until I am too old to enjoy Flight Simming. And I don't want to have to fall back to lesser standard products which I have to use in areas Orbx doesn't do. Orbx airports are alive like no others I have ever seen. I really believe Orbx needs to survive for Flight Simming to survive.

Whilst many will hate me for saying this, Orbx gives away to much for free. SFO is a major undertaking and really some monetary reward for all this work needs to be received by Orbx, to if nothing else, give the company research funding or maybe even fund less popular areas such as NZ. Even these triple installers giving P3D, FSX and FS9 cost time and money. Again, even a small cost I am sure people would see the reality of the need to fund the work and development. The decision for P3D V3 to be at a cost is a good economic decision. So much updating is done at no cost to the customer, but at a cost to Orbx that really could be used for further research.

I don't know the financial position of Orbx, but I want to see Orbx around for many years as there is still nothing like it.

So I guess what I am saying is customers paying even $10 for SFO, and $5 extra for the new P3D installers ( which in themselves is a lot of work ) really is not asking customers too much. Orbx has been very generous for many years, and sometimes as I read the forums, I think many customers fail to appreciate what we get given for nothing, as many other companies don't do all this work for nothing. Paying for updates that fix problems missed in the original release can stay free as they are at the moment as that is a different issue.

So JV, don't cut yourself short, you don't have to charge the earth, but a small cost for things like SFO could well be used to help Orbx, by funding future research, and maybe funding new products that are risky, or even other such cities.

Best wishes

Anthony

Anthony,

I greatly disagree with you. When you purchase Northern California as a high fidelity scenery, one would expect that the most significant landmark being San Francisco, would be meticulously detailed as part of that package. In this case, it was not. So to charge for an update that was excluded to provide the community with the greater region after all their waiting, would be against the ORBX culture. In the PNW they did something similar with Portland and I think it is fair that it is done here as well. This is what ORBX quality is all about! 

Archived