Trackir 5 ?

FILOU

Really a must-have in my opinion. Since you get to move in all three dimensions, you can also get up close to the knobs and dials in the VC just by moving your head forward a bit... A short while back the USB plug on my Track IR gave out and I tried a few flights without it. That experience was a serious no-go after getting used to the IR and got me to actually fix it myself since I was that desperate to have it back...

Cheers

Mallard

Hi Filou!

I also think that TIR5 it is a "Must Have" for flightsimming.

In the beginning it might take a few tries to get used to it, but just after a few minutes, You will really, really like it!

I can't tell if it gets You "closer to reality", but it definitely enhances the immersion of desktop-flightsimming!

Therefore i can also just very highly recommend it!

Cheers, Christoph

P.S.: I just read You latest post here Filou - so skip my reply above - but - i am sure You will enjoy flightsimming even more soon!

it's a great bit of kit,  I can't speak for everyone but the track clip pro addon transformed the thing for me. The only downside was the track clip pro is made out of fragile plastic.. If you drop it it'l probarbly break! some rubber bands and some glue later and you'll be back in business. just wish the trackclip pro was rechargable and not a cabled device. I may have to mod the one I have :)

It's very good from an immersion pov, and if you fly rotary wing it's a must.

good luck.

Mo

If I knew what I know now, the first "payware" purchase I would have ever made for Flight Simulator or any other simulator for that matter would be a TrackIR.

It's more important than any scenery or aircraft addon to actually get that feeling of immersion in the sim.

And it works with tons of different titles! http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/enhanced-games-all.html

Filou, I have to agree with everyone else that has posted. If you still have not bought a TrackIR yet, go get one! :) And I agree too, the track clip pro will really make your TrackIR experience that much better. It is almost as important as a yoke or joystick, its that good. I also agree, don't drop it, as the plastic is a bit fragile. That is my only complaint about it.

Hi Guys,

Yes, brilliant piece of kit, I just use the standard one, clipped onto a baseball cap, I've never used the pro-clip, because, I don't have headphones!

having said that, I do miss the control of outside views, without the trackir! can Trackir be turned on and off in use within FSX?

Thanks,

Mal...

The Track Clip Pro is a sensor that clips onto your headset or headphones. It is more adjustable, deals with sunlight better, and you don't have to wear a hat all the time. It clips onto the side of your head set. For me, I have a relatively inexpensive USB headset that I have my Track Clip Pro attached. I don't like having headphones on all the time, so my headset is one of those that only covers one ear. I have been using it like for years now, and have never had to change it to another headset or anything.

Track Clip Pro is as much of  a Must have as Track IR itself , it's much Smoother than the Hat Clip. 

Give yourself some time to get used to the Head movement, the first week i was kinda  Nauseous from the 

movement but now i Can't fly without it. Seth at Natural Point has a great Profile that you can Download 

for Starters and then you can Adjust it to your Liking.  Well worth the Money.

Track Clip Pro is as much of  a Must have as Track IR itself , it's much Smoother than the Hat Clip. 

TrackClip Pro does nothing that inherently increases the smoothness. At best, if will track more consistently under erratic lighting conditions. Some people also report a better vertical FOV. Opinions differ on whether it's worth the extra hassle (headphones, wires, off-centre camera).

Hi, what is the use of the pro clip?

Thanks, Ben

Hi Ben,

Trackclip provides a stronger and more positive response, it is also less affected by backlight,eg,I have a window behind me when at the PC, on bright days this can confuse the ir5, pro seems to give a stronger connection so is more resistant,

regards Reg.

Filou

Get the TrackIR, it's well worth the money but I would suggest not bothering with the trackclip pro if you don't have lighting problems.

I do have the trackclip pro but never use it, I just find it a pain always having to be connected to a USB port. I have the standard hat style clip mounted on top of my headphones. OK I may look daft but it's very comfortable and I don't have to wear a cap.

Believe me, trying to fly without TIR now is like flying whilst looking through a letter box.

Wonderful piece of kit.

I found Track IR essential for combat flight sims like IL-2 and Rise of Flight - in FSX, essential in some instances and not quite so in others. For example, if you are doing touch-and-go circuits using something like the Cessna, or Spitfire, Track IR enables you to keep the runway in sight, and to make those turns at exactly the right moment. Its indispensable for that.

However, if you are in something like PMDG's MD-11, high over the Atlantic and everything running on autopilot, its not quite so important. In fact, in those circumstances, I find it easier to turn off Track IR and use mouse-look to look round and zoom in on things like the FMC.

Overall, however, Track IR is well worth the money and it can be used with a lot of other software besides FSX. 

I do miss the control of outside views, without the trackir! can Trackir be turned on and off in use within FSX?

If you have the keyboard nearby u can use "F9" to turn Trackir on and off and "F12" to center the view.

As others said I also think it's a must have 8)

I agree to everything said above, TIR makes FSX a lot more enjoyable because you can look around the scenery in a natural way. For me it didn`t take any time of getting used to it, it just feels second nature to look around this way. Also, like Paul K said, if you do any kind of combat flight simulation like IL-2 it becomes a question of survival - being able to follow the enemy with your eyes is an advantage that nothing else can give you in this way.

So try it and tell us how you feel about it.

Cheers Fabian

TrackIR is basically mandatory for me at this point.  I get the most use out of it during the initial set up of the aircraft, taxiing, and takeoff, and then most of all landing.  It's absolutely wonderful to be able to turn your head to track the runway, then quick glance back at the instruments, then look back at the runway when you're turning base and so forth without having to do a bunch of keystrokes for EZCA or whatever.  It's worthwhile for that alone.

Personally, I strongly recommend the track clip pro if you have any sort of window or reflective material behind you at all.  I had a picture frame behind me at one point, and I couldn't use the TrackIR because the glass in the picture frame would reflect the IR light too much.  With the Track Clip Pro, there's no light to reflect - it just comes from the clip rather than being reflected by the hat attachment.  You can still have issues with heat sources right behind you (lights, strong sunlight, etc) but I find them a lot less of an issue with the clip than I did with the hat.  I also hate wearing hats and it's easy to just clip the track clip pro to the headphones that I use.

It's largely down to personal preference, with the clip vs hat, unless you have a reflective surface behind you.  Then the clip is almost mandatory.

-stefan

I liked what the TrackIR allowed me to do but I ended up sending it back because it gave me motion sickness.  I'm very sensitive to eye movement. Wish I could tolerate it because it does add to the immersion. 

:lol: Yeah, I got that sickness too the first month using it.  I remember when I got in bed after a couple of hours use and closed my eyes the whole world spinned around and I felt like I was on a boat in bad weather... I almost did like you and stopped using it, but I could not live without it so I sticked with the sickness and eventually my brain adapted too it and I never had that feeling again. Glad I didn't send it back, can't imagine life without it 8)

Is there a software that uses a HD-webcam (e.g. of a laptop) to do the same as TrackIR?

A modern HD-webcam with a software should be able to recognise the eyes and the nose and "to see" were the user is looking at.

Any ideas if something like this is already available?

Archived