One of the Most Dangerous Airports in the World: Lukla, Nepal

Orbxtreme

Hi, for this little trip from Lamidada (VNLB) to Lukla (VNLK), I'm using the De Havilland Caribou DHC4 from Virtavia. Like the Twin Otter, it's known for its excellent STOL performance. Both airports used for this trip are above 10,000 feet high, as many of you know. The approach to Lukla is quite special, as you can only land on rwy 06 (sloped),  and when the rapidly changing weather is appropriate. Once you fly over the threshold of rwy 06 for the approach, you're normally committed, which means that the cliff ahead of you should help the decision making process in case the idea of an overshoot would cross your mind.

JXHSn.jpg

bmcMu.jpg

BT7e.jpg

FUZb9.jpg

xwc6e.jpg

pbUai.jpg

Lukla airport is visible on the right, lighted by the sun

2VaZE.jpg

oRCBz.jpg

Final rwy 06. With the high air density altitude, we have to stick to the indicated airspeed more than ever.

NaWg9.jpg

The Caribou seems to be going down at a steep rate of descent but it's not the case. With full flaps, that's the normal attitude of the aircraft.

gOBV8.jpg

Near the numbers just before touchdown. You will notice that the extremity of the runway seems to be detached from the threshold 06. For a reason I ignore, Lukla scenery from Aerosoft stays in one piece if I take-off and land by staying close to the airport. If I arrive from somewhere outside the area covered by the scenery, it has problem giving me a whole runway. So two flights were necessary in order to get an acceptable set with a full runway.

5isXb.jpg

6SKZ.jpg

wOoUb.jpg

m5LiX.jpg

idQf.jpg

3UAXc.jpg

he7jf.jpg

An aircraft doesn't normally stay more than about 15 minutes at Lukla, as others are also on the approach and the apron is small. So here we go, after departing from rwy 24 down the hill.

N5rOY.jpg

On this final picture, heading for Khatmandu to pick up some more cargo for the next expedition on the Everest. Hope you enjoyed.

OPhYJ.jpg

I'll have to do other flights to see if Aerosoft Lukla integrates well or not with FTXG, as I had two different results on two flights. Just for you to know. (There is also a freeware version of Lukla available on the net). If you try it directly with basic FSX only, it's not really interesting as the runway is not sloped and there are no houses. Cheers!

When I tried this approach a couple months ago , it took one missed approach and that was in the skymaster . So I salute you Captain Francois for your

excellent piloting skills . I also think your shots of this area are fantastic also .

Cheers

Brad

I have watched several real life videos of this airport and the representation here is very cose to the real thing.. well done. Teecee.

Thanks everyone for your interest in Lukla. And yes Teecee I was also quite satisfied about the representation of that airport. It does not take much bad weather to keep someone out of that area, the mountains all around are too intimidating to take a chance with limited visibility when starting the approach.

Great shots Francois!

Have not been flying into Lukla for ages, but with FTXGlobal and all this great new things such as FTXVector and OpenLC on the horizon i am definitely going to be there soon again!

But for now i enjoy Your superb shots here!

Thank You very much for sharing!

Excellent set and narration Francois.

Fantastic airport and scenery.

Caribou ( good woody word), one of my favourite RL aircraft which used to give the most thrilling displays at airshows.

Watch out for the croquet hoops.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gwXJsWHupg

Thanks for the intervention. I shall therefore stop flying such a "tinny" aircraft! ^-^

Superb set François! Not only the scenery and this extraordinary airport are impressive, you captured the special Himalaya ambience stunningly well.

I don't have Lukla, but I'll have a look at the Tahiti scenery, there should be a similar major improvement with FTXG.

@Martyn (woody name indeed): It's always a pleasure to see someone paying tribute to Britain's grand cultural achievements, like Monty Python :)

Great shots Francois!

Have not been flying into Lukla for ages, but with FTXGlobal and all this great new things such as FTXVector and OpenLC on the horizon i am definitely going to be there soon again!

But for now i enjoy Your superb shots here!

Thank You very much for sharing!

Correct, that sounds like a plan. However, the Aerosoft payware airport does not reach any level of our beloved Fullterrain world...

Correct, that sounds like a plan. However, the Aerosoft payware airport does not reach any level of our beloved Fullterrain world...

Agree, but that's the compromise we have to make, waiting for ORBX to make an airport at Lukla. Meanwhile, if you want to try a sloped runway and have what seems to be an acceptable airport, you have to accept the fact that close to this airport the environment is not Orbx but something of a lesser quality. Both cannot be compared for now, Orbx is making the terrain, Aerosoft the airport. But one day, maybe, we'll be able to start from acceptable airports in Nepal and have a stopover in a superb environment. ::)

Great set here François, I held my breath watching your landing approach. I saw a TV report a few months ago, showing this airport and

the people living there as well as the pilots who are doing this crazy job.

And you catched this very well!

Archived