FTX Global - On short finals

John Venema

Hello everyone,

FTX Global Beta 1001 has been tested for the past four days and during this time we uncovered a few bugs in FTX Central and some of the core product files. We're now in the process of assembling Beta 1002 to validate the bug fixes. Once B1002 passes muster we will make a full release candidate installer called RTM-A.

RTM-A will be tested against FSX, P3D including mature, tweaked and virgin installs on many different types of PCs.

If we get at least three greens on RTM-A we then hand it over to flightsimstore.com to wrap it and populate the CDN for release. If not, we fix critical bugs and move to RTM-B. we repeat this process until we have a rock solid product for you.

Based on past experience this means an RTM-A in testers' hands by Thursday and all going well a release on the weekend.

Yours in updates.

Wow, JV -- you are the update-master extraordinaire.  I need to use you as an example to emulate in my normal job.

EDIT:  Are we really wearing you out that badly, asking 'when' all the time, like little kids?  Good problem to have, gotta admit : )

See.. this is EXACTLY the reason you gotta love ORBX... keeping everyone in the loop... to satisfy the insatiable FS community :)

Good stuff!

It is one of the reasons, yes.  The main reason I love them is because they release good work; they set the bar high and keep raising it.  Probably that is why we are all so keen to get our hands on the next big thing from ORBX.

Thanks for the update, happy about this, however a bit sad, since I have a simming session with a friend of mine on sunday afternoon local, I was hoping to have the global in the sim... ah well. We'll do it at the next session.

Great news! I really hope those green lights come through - but will also gladly wait a bit longer if necessary...

Cheers

Mallard

(wow - Global on short finals and "the baby" both announced on the same day... Not bad!) ;)

This Friday is my payday too. Nice. Looks like I am buying flowers and taking the wife out to dinner Thursday or Friday. Lol.

Sent from my Apple communications device.

This will be my Plan-Of-Action as well! HA! It should be recommended during the install process! ::)

Friday is pension day, so I'm right to go.  

Someone asked about the size:   JV explains it all very carefully back in an earlier release announcement.  But it is big - at least 5gigs I believe, maybe larger.  So like me if you are not on cable or NBN in Aus it will be a long download ...  and its download only.

Funnily enough, this is so large that DVD would have been a good option.

Friday is pension day, so I'm right to go.  

Someone asked about the size:   JV explains it all very carefully back in an earlier release announcement.  But it is big - at least 5gigs I believe, maybe larger.  So like me if you are not on cable or NBN in Aus it will be a long download ...  and its download only.

Funnily enough, this is so large that DVD would have been a good option.

Macca, dvd is 4.7gb  5gb would not fit or were you thinking Duel Layer DVD's?

Hey Wombat, I thought of it as a set of at least two.  They could come in relatively cheap sleeves.  

But I suspect there will be no option.

I did not think of that option, but then again I am only a wombat  ::)

The Flight Sim Store offers REX as an 8G dowwload, but also offers it as a DVD option (presumably 2 - split), so I am hoping that FTX Global will be offered the same way.

I would be happy to buy the disks,

however:  my ADSL2 gives me a best download speed of 1.5 MB/sec. The arithmetic says an overnight download.

But many others are on slower connections.   I have a feeling these columns will be filled with complaints about download speeds, time and ISP costs.  Oh dear.

However Orbx has made it clear, only downloads now.

however:  my ADSL2 gives me a best download speed of 1.5 MB/sec. The arithmetic says an overnight download.

But many others are on slower connections.   I have a feeling these columns will be filled with complaints about download speeds, time and ISP costs.  Oh dear.

Actually I think you can have both.  You will get a download link when you purchase FTXG from FltSimStore, but , you should also have the option to have them ship you a set of DVDs in a plain brown wrapper to use as a backup or an initial install if you want.  The thing that was stopped was the fancy DVD cases with artwork, etc.   Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Hey Wombat, I thought of it as a set of at least two.  They could come in relatively cheap sleeves.  

But I suspect there will be no option.

Hey Macca.

Im not sure you are quite right there. as far, i understand, there will "always"  be the Digital Media service: http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=96 possibility.

Its just The Hardcover/box edition(with no registration) there is off the market, as Dragdhorn say.

Henrik

The FlightSim Store will be making FTX Global available on disk as all Orbx download products are. The Download with DVD-ROM (Digital Media Service) delivery option will be available which provides for delivery of the software on DVD in plain paper disk sleeves delivered in a disk mailer, as well as giving you the ability to download should you wish to. As far as I know the product will not be produced as a manufactured boxed edition in a plastic DVD case with printed insert and shrink wrap, as this practice has been discontinued by Orbx.

Archived