Did SRM get bumped?

PFS

I noticed that SRM (Southern Rocky Mountains) isn't listed anymore under "Planned NA Releases" on the ftx website. Did its position in the release pipeline get bumped?

-Paul

Hi John,

Yes, NCA will include KSFO but remember that, at least for the ORBX default airports, the bigger they are the less I can do much with them. The ORBX object library is geared toward the small to mid size airports and those can be really jazzed up, but not so much the very big ones. San Francisco, Oakland and Sacramento airports come to mind, though Oakland has a GA area I can probably do something with.

I've completed the first pass of all airports north of Roseville and all the non hard surfaced ones in NCA. If you have an airport you'd like me to look at especially let me know, I seem to be a little ahead of schedule. If requests don't get out of hand (and JV doesn't slap my hand) I'm open to other requests.

I was born in Oakland and raised in Oroville so I'm very interested in getting NCA right.

Cheers, Neil

Any chance for KHAF Half Moon Bay, KWVI Watsonville and KMRY Monterey? Would love to see something done with these as well as KSAC Sacramento Executive. I was born in Gridley, raised in Sacramento.

Ah Jimmy, you'd know all those cool places. Did you ever go to Carmel Valley Airport before it closed in 2002? What a beautiful and awesome place, had the feel of an old airport. Sadly they closed it, yet the grounds are maintained. Maybe Oracle CEO Larry Ellison will bring her back, he's a pilot you know. Also, you ever heard of Bonny Doon Airport? Its for sale, only $2.35 Million!!!

Ah Jimmy, you'd know all those cool places. Did you ever go to Carmel Valley Airport before it closed in 2002? What a beautiful and awesome place, had the feel of an old airport. Sadly they closed it, yet the grounds are maintained. Maybe Oracle CEO Larry Ellison will bring her back, he's a pilot you know. Also, you ever heard of Bonny Doon Airport? Its for sale, only $2.35 Million!!!

Too bad they closed Carmel Valley, that would have been a great one of Orbx to do. Sure I've heard of Bonny Doon Airport, haven't been up there though. Didn't know it was for sale either. Chump change for Larry.

Hi John,

Yes, NCA will include KSFO but remember that, at least for the ORBX default airports, the bigger they are the less I can do much with them. The ORBX object library is geared toward the small to mid size airports and those can be really jazzed up, but not so much the very big ones. San Francisco, Oakland and Sacramento airports come to mind, though Oakland has a GA area I can probably do something with.

I've completed the first pass of all airports north of Roseville and all the non hard surfaced ones in NCA. If you have an airport you'd like me to look at especially let me know, I seem to be a little ahead of schedule. If requests don't get out of hand (and JV doesn't slap my hand) I'm open to other requests.

I was born in Oakland and raised in Oroville so I'm very interested in getting NCA right.

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil,

Benton Field (FAA LID: O85) comes to mind. :-) Owned by the City of Redding, nice little GA spot on top of a hill and near Whiskeytown Lake, Shasta Lake

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Northern California is next in the NA series and we haven't decided yet what region we'll work on after that.

Cheers, Holger

Looking forward to Northern California, although was hoping for SRM, but you guys know best on what sells and what can be done!

Just started exploring CRM 8)

Cheers

Martin

Hi fellows,

ALL airports north of Monterey, including KHAF and KMRY will be done. I was thinking of airports that I could put a little extra time into because of a special interest by our users.

The airports mentioned have been noted.

Cheers, Neil

Hi John,

Cheers, Neil

Neil,

Truckee and South Lake Tahoe would be great with a little Orbx treatment. I while back, I emailed JV offering a set of photos for South Tahoe airport (TVL) especially the Terminal and FBO buildings from various angles. He said he might be interested but have had no more dialog since. Let me know if you are interested.

Also, a wine country airport such as Napa (APC) would be nice. Since larger Bay area airports will get limited attention, some of the smaller ones like Hayward (HWD) and Concord (CCR) would be great. I may be able to help with some pix on some of these.

John

Hi John,

Truckee's done and South Lake Tahoe will be soon. I have a special interest in South Lake Tahoe airport as I used to work the Echo Summit PT&T microwave station many years ago and took occasional trips to Tahoe for parts.

I've completed several airports in the Napa Valley area already as I've spent some time there as my Mom and step dad live in Santa Rosa, my twin brother lives in Sebastopol and I have a half brother in Sonoma.

All that area is familiar to me.

Cheers, Neil

Considering Yosemite and Mammoth Lakes are due east of SF Bay, I would guess they would be included too? Just returned from Mammoth Lakes and there is a cool little airstrip there - KMMH Mammoth Yosemite. Would love to see some ORBX treatment there as it is very scenic. The tiny little airport would also seem fit for an ORBX airport add-on. Here are some pics I snapped when picking up my girlfriend there this past week...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Either way I'm looking to the California regions!

All the best,

Brandon Burkley

Hi John,

Cheers, Neil

Sweeeeeeet... Anything you can do for Redding, Benton and Red Bluff has my vote... These are my usual haunts with my students... (It's probably a bit pie in the sky, but it would be especically cool to have some AI traffic 172s and Duchesses buzzing about round there... My flight school, IASCO flight training, has a huge presence in that area... We even have a callsign of "Marmot"... because we're found just about everywhere!)

If I could add Chico ( for the CDF planes based there ), and Paradise ( just have to love the way that little field sits right on top of the ridge ) that would be great. It really is a small world, I worked for Long's Drugs in Oroville for 9 years.

Al

Fantastic news!

Shame about Orbx not doing the big airports, but as JV mentioned in his thread, they are just too time consuming. Though it would be great to see other developers make these..

But, since becoming the Orbx addict I am, I have become more interested in VFR, Low and Slow GA flying and the smaller airstrips is what I look forward to more.

And with Orbx pushing the boundaries and making such huge leaps with each airfield.. by the time North Cal gets released, I can only imagine how far ahead these airfields will be.

Exciting times ahead! :)

Sorry Ian,

No resurrecting old airports, unless of course FSX still has it in it's airport list.

Also remember guys, my tools only include the standard ORBX library objects so no custom buildings and that sort of thing, and I recreate EVERY airport as close as possible based on GE and other sources. What I can do for those airports mentioned is spend add'l time to jazz them up a bit. The folks that provide the photoreal payware airports spend months doing their magic, I've got hours, but I will still do my best.

Cheers, Neil

I think Carmel is still there by default but with a closed 'X' marked runway, as with old Hamilton field. Lol would be wonderful to remake Crissy Field in SF but that is just a grassy park now. I am not sure how detailed downtown SF will be but I really look foward to parking a Cub or Scout on floats at a dock at the ball park :)

Posted Image

Speaking of Hamilton, I dont suppose someone would be interested in reopening it into a retro 40s airbase as it was in its heydey. With the upcomming fleet of A2A fighter releases, partularly the P-40 and P-51, might be cool to have a period specific starting point.

Cheers

TJ

I am pretty sure all the airports in the region will be covered like they are in CRM, NRM...etc As for future detailed payware releases of specific airports, who knows what gets picked. I think as long as they can get access to an airport to get detailed shots of it they can do a detailed version...think PNW Orcas vs the detailed KORS release. Shelter Cove would be an awesome detailed release tho it is somewhat isolated and hard to get to.

Neil.

For what you have to work with not only in tools but the time factor too, your'e simply amazing, I wish I had half of your ability.

Regards,

Jim

I only can second this! I think Neil does not get as much praised by the community as he would deserve!

Wolfgang

• 6 months later...

Hi John,

Truckee's done and South Lake Tahoe will be soon. I have a special interest in South Lake Tahoe airport as I used to work the Echo Summit PT&T microwave station many years ago and took occasional trips to Tahoe for parts.

I've completed several airports in the Napa Valley area already as I've spent some time there as my Mom and step dad live in Santa Rosa, my twin brother lives in Sebastopol and I have a half brother in Sonoma.

Cheers, Neil

Man! I'm looking forward to the NCA release -- all this chatter really has me salivating!! And I second (or is it 'third', now?) the praises for Neil's tremendous work!!

Neil, it really is a small world -- we have a number of overlapping pathways... I spent a number of years living in the Napa Valley (no chance the old glider port in Calistoga gets a place in this virtual world, is there?), and working all over the Sonoma Valley -- so glad to hear of your attention to (and personal connection with) those areas. Also, prior to relocating to North Carolina a few years ago, I'd worked for the S.O. in Oroville! (I second the hope that Paradise and Chico will see some special touches.) Topping it all off, my wife and I spent the first few years of our life together in Tacoma! I'm betting we've stood in line at the grocery store or Starbucks together somewhere along the line... ;D

Anyway, can't wait to start enjoying this new collection of such familiar, and beautiful country! The mounting experience and skill you guys are demonstrating will make NCA well worth the wait, I'm sure! Any leaks yet about time frame?? The last thing I had heard was Christmastime -- which was a bit over a month ago now... I'm beginning to feel a bit like one of Pavlov's dogs.... :blink: I've got a birthday coming up in two weeks... <hint, hint! ;D> (Just teasing, of course...)

Keep doing the wonderful things you guys do! Can't wait till you cover KGSO, too!! (Where I now live and work.)

Cheers!

Drizzle

Hi Drizzle,

Time frame...hmmm... I can tell you this because JV's said this already but the order for the next 3 areas is NZNI, SAK (that Holger and I are doing together) and then NCA. Our team had a Skype team meeting the other day and among other things we discussed some of the new textures needed for NCA based on photos I took during my trip to Santa Rosa for my Niece's wedding last fall. Progress is being made but it will still be awhile. I'm keeping notes on airports specifically mentioned.

Cheers, Neil

OK I will throw my fifty cents in, as 2O1 Quincy is about eight miles from my house and has one of the western united states most respected Radial engine machine shops. The mountain cross wind Flight-Sim training in the area will keep the hair up on the back of your neck standing at attention. The Lakes Basin area should be checked out as a great VFR flight. I rendered the area in MSFS and it would be a great spot for your "MAGIC". Thank you again for the great work. Ken C.

Hi Drizzle,

Time frame...hmmm... I can tell you this because JV's said this already but the order for the next 3 areas is NZNI, SAK (that Holger and I are doing together) and then NCA. Our team had a Skype team meeting the other day and among other things we discussed some of the new textures needed for NCA based on photos I took during my trip to Santa Rosa for my Niece's wedding last fall. Progress is being made but it will still be awhile. I'm keeping notes on airports specifically mentioned.

Cheers, Neil

Thanks for the reply, Neil.

As I said before, I'm sure this experience will prove well worth the wait. But, OOOHHHHH!!! That waiting is so hard to endure!! :blink:

Keep up the good work, and thanks for drawing back the tent flap and allowing us a peek behind the scenes from time to time....

Waiting as fast as I can,

Drizzle

P.S. You mentioned elsewhere having addressed 'several Napa Valley airports', I think is how you put it. Does this include Angwin-Parrett? If so, has any attention been given to the college and community surrounding that field? That school is my alma mater, and it sure would be fun to feel some familiarity while flying over it, as contrasted to MSFS having completely ignored any notion of there being a town there at all...

Hi John,

Cheers, Neil

I wish you had some relatives that lived in New England, especially VT,NH and ME

Archived