Did SRM get bumped?

PFS

HI Speedbrake, et al

Quincy, ah yes. I was in High School back then but I went through Quincy to get to Gold Lake Y Camp for 3 summers in a row. The Feather River canyon is something to behold but the road has probably changed a lot since I traveled over it. Yes, 2O3, Angwin-Parrett is included but Hamilton is all gone but a small concrete patch as shown in GE.

I've finished the 1st pass of all the NCA airports but I'm keeping a list of those mentioned here.

Cheer, Neil

Sorry Ian,

No resurrecting old airports, unless of course FSX still has it in it's airport list.

Also remember guys, my tools only include the standard ORBX library objects so no custom buildings and that sort of thing, and I recreate EVERY airport as close as possible based on GE and other sources. What I can do for those airports mentioned is spend add'l time to jazz them up a bit. The folks that provide the photoreal payware airports spend months doing their magic, I've got hours, but I will still do my best.

Cheers, Neil

Neil,

I have spend the last couple of days or maybe the last couple of weeks just flying around looking at CRM, NRM and PJF areas. Tonight I installed the latest freeware airport - CEJ4 - and landed at most of the airports within a 100 miles or so.

The reason for the post is I wanted to tell you you they are all beginning to look alike. The same exact airplanes - same color schemes - same registration numbers - says guys milling around. This is good but it is also getting a little boring.

It may be time to increase the inventory of static airplanes for the new areas. I know a lot of folks, including myself, are looking forward to Southern Alaska and Northern California. It is going to be disappointing if we are greeted with the very same airplanes at each and every general aviation airport.

Maybe just a few more color schemes for you to choose from. Something.

Keep up the good work. Will I be able to fly along the Monterey Peninsula and see Pebble Beach Golf Course with the proper layout? Just curious.

Ray

Hi Ray,

I believe a new set of static aircraft are on the horizen. I will keep your concerns in mind as I go back through the SAK and NCA airports.

Monterey Peninsula will be there for sure but for the exact layout of Pebble Beach Golf Course I wouldn't hold my breath.

Cheers, Neil

lol yeah I remember the old Calistoga glider port. I went on a glider ride from there when I was a kid. I remember it still being active in the late 90s. I think some very wealthy wine neighbors complained about tow plane noise, it eventually was shut down. It was too bad because it was a very unique way to tour wine country. They still do hot air balloon rides. Schelleville still has it's biplane rides, and there are microlight rides out of Petaluma.

Speaking of other closed airports, do you remember Santa Rosa Air Center? I vaguely remember an airplane ride from there a long time ago. There was another little airport on the south end of Clear Lake that was closed, can't remember it's name.

Hi Neil,

I'm based out of Oakland myself (as a matter of fact, you very much resemble our station manager-LOL). I'd like to add my vote for KHAF, its a great weekend getaway for those of us in the Bay area. And I know someone mentioned Shelter Cove... Its true that its a bit isolated but those coastal airports are so scenic to fly into. ;o)

Hi brian, and others..

KHAF would make a great payware choice I think but that's not my line. I did check out the old Calistoga glider port (O58, but not in FSX) and it's still there but really run down per GE, the asphalts gone but you can see where it was. The buildings are rusty but still in place. I added it to my list as a possible.

Cheers, Neil

Just wanted to pass on another thanks to Neil for all the great airport modeling in the Orbx regions, to me your airports are what makes me buy the regions even when I am not especially interested in them, but having the enhanced modeled airports makes it easy to explore and discover the region without having to land at the unrealistic generic asphalt runway FSX airports, it also helps me rationalize the cost, not just a region but also lots of ne airports to visit.

I would echo the feedback that variation in the static plane lib objects would really enhance the realism (same request for the static boats in the marinas like PAKT), but your work with the default airports is one of my favorite things about Orbx.

lol yeah I remember the old Calistoga glider port. I went on a glider ride from there when I was a kid. I remember it still being active in the late 90s. I think some very wealthy wine neighbors complained about tow plane noise, it eventually was shut down. It was too bad because it was a very unique way to tour wine country. They still do hot air balloon rides. Schelleville still has it's biplane rides, and there are microlight rides out of Petaluma.

Speaking of other closed airports, do you remember Santa Rosa Air Center? I vaguely remember an airplane ride from there a long time ago. There was another little airport on the south end of Clear Lake that was closed, can't remember it's name.

Yeah, TJ -- Had a ride there for my 18th birthday (which was a big deal, as poor as we always were when I grew up)! My uncle's home was perched on the hillside to the west of Hwy 29, looking down on the approach path for Rwy 29 (I think it was). Loved watching the gliders come and go from that vantage point! Great memories!!

Don't recall Santa Rosa Air Center -- but the primary Santa Rosa airport (now Charles M. Schulz) is where I got to take the controls of a real GA aircraft for the first time... A friend of mine had a Mooney hangared there. The constant erosion of small GA airports is such a tragic loss!

Hi brian, and others..

KHAF would make a great payware choice I think but that's not my line. I did check out the old Calistoga glider port (O58, but not in FSX) and it's still there but really run down per GE, the asphalts gone but you can see where it was. The buildings are rusty but still in place. I added it to my list as a possible.

Cheers, Neil

It would be SO nice to get that memory back... I'm pretty sure that's the first place I'll go when NCA is released -- just to see if it made it from your 'possible' list to the 'Done' list! ;-)

Thanks and praise again, for the great job you do, Neil!

Drizzle

Hi brian, and others..

Cheers, Neil

Yeah I did some flying out of STS too, even worked for one of the FBOs as a ramper until I was laid off there. Santa Rosa Air Center was an old navy field. If you go to where 101 and hwy 12 intersect, you will see a large golf driving range. It used to be in that area.

If memory serves I think the Calistoga was a dirt strip. In fact I think they had sort of a parallel runway operation going. The glider port buildings were on the north end of the field. At least when winds were calm, I remember gliders would launch with their towplane going to the south, then they would land on the parallel runway the opposite direction so they could keep sort of a 'loop' going. That way gliders could come in, roll out and 'bank' on the ground when they got to the north end of the field...that way they could let off their passenger, push the plane ahead and load for the next ride.

You know Neil, I might be able to drive up there and take a few shots of the area if you like.

Cheers

TJ

Hi TJ, and others...

Check out this cool website "http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/CA/Airfields_CA_SantaRosa.html#calistoga". It includes Calistoga and a number of other locations in the Santa Rosa area.

As far as photos are concerned, I'm not a modeler (wished I were) so photos for me would not be super useful but....once NCA is released later this year (I can tell you that much at least) there will probably be a need for photos so hang onto that idea as there are a number of potiential payware airports in the Napa County area.

I see another wish for a more varied selection of static a/c, I'll keep that in mind as I'm placing them. Bear in mind however that the choices since PNW has grown a lot.

Cheers, Neil

You know too, another spot that really doesn't have to be touched, but has some potential is Marina Green park in San Francisco. Maybe just adding an FS starting point or somthing. It is the rectangular grass strip east of Crissy field on the north shore of SF At one time it actually was a civil airfield in the 20s and was the western terminus for the US Air Mail. Since the virtual citizens of SF in flight sim don't use it for leisure activities like they do in real life, it makes for a nice landing spot. Like I said nothing needs to be done to it because it is already a perfect spot for aircraft operations, maybe just adding some ADE info such as starting locations, some kind of identifier..etc.

Anyway just food for thought :)

Cheers

TJ

Posted Image

.................., but your work with the default airports is one of my favorite things about Orbx.

Overall, Orbx regions and airports are fantastic. I fully agree about the upgraded default airports - they add more than you can imagine to my enjoyment of Orbx scenery. I can't fly in default scenery anymore. Thank you and keep up the good work.............. Howard

Overall, Orbx regions and airports are fantastic. I fully agree about the upgraded default airports - they add more than you can imagine to my enjoyment of Orbx scenery. I can't fly in default scenery anymore. Thank you and keep up the good work.............. Howard

+1!!

I know and support all the changes with Orbx this year I think its great. I do want to see SRM completed but lets start pushing east please! There is lots to see and fly all over the US when it comes to North America. Canada as well. I personally want to see SRM, the plains, the gulf coast, the great lakes, to new england and the east coast. Yes it all takes time and a lot of it. We thank you Orbx for everything you guys are doing but lets keep pushing east and get North America finished up.

Keep up the great work and my Credit Card on file.

• 3 weeks later...

Overall, Orbx regions and airports are fantastic. I fully agree about the upgraded default airports - they add more than you can imagine to my enjoyment of Orbx scenery. I can't fly in default scenery anymore. Thank you and keep up the good work.

+1

totally agree.

Oh, and John Ross please return to the Gold Coast, Queensland, and finish doing the Spit, Seaworld, Marina Mirage and the Sheraton, the Seaworld Resort and yes, my place of volunteer radio work, the 3 storey Seaway Tower.

Then there is Southport, Biggera Waters, the Runaway Bay Shopping Centre ( all stand out like dogs' b....s in Google Earth). This would complete your really brilliant work.

If I had the faintest clue I'd try myself, but dumb is my middle name.

Google's

Posted Image

Posted Image

Our's

The Spit, 'nuffin

Posted Image

The Seaway entrance, beautifully proportioned but no buildings or boat activity. On a fine day like this, about 150 'logged on' vessels, and many privateers who don't bother to log on. Yep, the brave or foolhardy even take their tinnies (less than 14' open aluminium dinghies with small outboard motors), also jetskis (the hoons of the sea), and just about any seacraft that you can imagine-they all go outside - where the bar conditions and wave action can be pretty challenging in weather.

Posted Image

Keith Williams' old ski gardens, now known as bum's bay with many permanently lived on vessels at anchor, no less than 50 at any one time.

Posted Image

Ahead Surfers with its ugly but iconic 'white shoe brigade' high rise, but under the wing to the right no Southport, which deserves a township landclass with high rise.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the last one, the repeat, dumb at work.

• 10 months later...

Kyle and I have talked and we are looking at doing a couple of small to medium, though not to large airfields in the NCA area, though we have no way to get photos. If anyone is interested and is able to take pictures of airfields, which includes everything inside and around send me a PM and I will look at the aerial coverage and get back to the person on what I need in the way of pictures. Small fields would be preferred over larger ones.

Tom B.

I took some genaric hangar photos at Petuluma for Neil a while back, I'll see if I still have them. Santa Rosa would be great, but by GA standards it would be a somewhat large airport, towered with Horizon airline service. Getting photos of some areas would be difficult and would have to be prearranged with airport managment.

This was a photo I took years ago when I was flying, you can see the famous Butler Hangar in the background. Those who remember the barnstorming scene from 'Mad Mad Mad Mad World' this was the hangar used. The T hangars weren't built then lol.

http://myaviation.net/?pid=00382589

One of the many reasons I ask the FS gods for an Accusimmed Beech 18...with minibar :D

Kyle and I have talked and we are looking at doing a couple of small to medium, though not to large airfields in the NCA area, though we have no way to get photos. If anyone is interested and is able to take pictures of airfields, which includes everything inside and around send me a PM and I will look at the aerial coverage and get back to the person on what I need in the way of pictures. Small fields would be preferred over larger ones.

Tom B.

I'll take as many as you need for Half Moon Bay - KHAF.

Just let me know what you need, what resolution, aspect ratio, etc.

I'm a former working pro.

• 1 year later...

Hi brian, and others..

Cheers, Neil

Wow -- just wanted to say THANKS Neil, for resurrecting the old Gliderport!  Just noticed today, as I was flying by...  Even has the mobile home park next door where I spent plenty of high-school-days time, hanging out with an old friend...  THANK YOU again for all the hard work, and the attention to detail!  Love what you guys do!!

Drizzle

Archived