This Week's Meaningless Topic (#199)(June 26)

Hi all. Several YouTube sites feature great flying stuff. I like three especially: Growling Sidewinder has a skilled DCS combat pilot fighting various planes; Missionary Bush Pilot shows a real-life bush pilot flying in Papua New Guinea; and AvAngel  features a woman UK sim pilot who does tutorials, adventures, and product reviews. I'll also sometimes watch foul-weather landings and takeoff videos, but the above three are my regulars. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Do you watch YouTube flight videos that you would recommend to the rest of us?

• Like 7

8 hours ago, stiletto2 said:

I, also, have watched Missionary Bush Pilot a couple of times.  He is very good at dealing with some low viz weather.

Rod

He sure knows how to read those mountain weather patterns. I like the one where he is flying over a cloud layer looking for an opening and says, oh well, it should clear by the time we get there. And it did. That guy knows his stuff!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

I've watched the PNG ones, very entertaining.   Other than that the previews for MSFS 2024 have my  attention!

I hate to admit it, Rob, because I have struggled to get comfortable in MSFS 2020, but me too! I'm hoping that the 2020 glitches will be gone and we can luxuriate in the promised new scenery program.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

I generally will watch airliner take offs and landings.

I'm not sure what site they are on I just type in the above

and watch on youtube.

cheers

Gumby

Stuttgart with nasty crosswinds. Planes coming in sideways. Passengers screaming. Me too, and I'm just watching on video!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Here is another of my favourites, something that I doubt that is very often seen.

Yes, Nick! First of all, the DC-6 was one great airplane, and, second, the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp was one of history's greatest airplane engines. What a treat! Thanks!

• Upvote 1

That was a treat to hear!  Back in 68-69 I was stationed at NAS Corpus Christi with VT-28 (a training squadron).  They flew the S2F.  Called it the Stoof.  Had two double rows of pistons in radial config with just under 2000 HP each.  Flew in them quite a bit.  Could fold up the wings and also land on a carrier.  They used them for training at VT28 but their primary role was antisubmarine warfare.  Had a great sound.  Made many cross country trips from Corpus Christi, TX to the West coast for navigator training in them. Free ride home!

This pic is of one from my squadron.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

That was a treat to hear!  Back in 68-69 I was stationed at NAS Corpus Christi with VT-28 (a training squadron).  They flew the S2.  Called it the Stoof.  Had two double rows of pistons in radial config with just under 2000 HP each.  Flew in them quite a bit.

I know the "STOOF" very well, Rob. About two years after your stint with VT-28, I was on USS Wasp CVS18 (1971-72).  S2Fs were our birds.  Early flight experience (described in an earlier post) was in  C1A, same aircraft with a different configuration.  Great aircraft.  Of course I live only a few miles from where they were built, in Bethpage, NY. Many of my (older) friends were Grumman veterans involved in the S2 program, as well as the all important "LEM."

Ken

(Sorry, guys.  I will have more to contribute to this thread later).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1