HNY from an anglophile Down Under

Most of you blokes from GB know of the tradition for the male of the family to go outside before midnight on NY eve - close the door -

and then after the stroke of midnight - come back in carrying a piece of bread and a lump of coal - and "LET the New Year" into the household.

Last night was the 65th time I have carried out that very tradition in our household - and then wished my wife --

a Happy 87th birthday - a Happy  New year - and a Happy 71st anniversary of our first meeting at a dance on New Year's Day 1953

You see guys - the tradition brings with it - a whole pile of luck - long health - hopefully for another year.

Happy New Year to all my fellow  Lufters - simulated or otherwise👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Wow, wow and wow John. That is just amazing. Brings tears to my old eyes. Happy New Year to you and your Love of 71 yrs plus. All the very best of health and happiness. Now I'll need a Beer to toast to Y'all. :)

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

The trick is eating the bread and not the coal, best to stay sober....anyway in these enlightened days the misses should take a turn 🫢, .......yeah good luck with that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Nice one John, triple happiness to you both, what a lovely tale, though I've never heard of the coal and bread story...we just used to make a lot of noise with pots and pans...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic John. Both my parents were born in the UK and I know of this tradition. I witnessed it as a child in Rhodesia at our parents' NYE parties but once in Oz it seemed to not be a thing. So happy you continue the tradition. You and the missus are blessed, so cool you've kept it up and stayed true for 65 years. Singing Auld Lang Syne to you and yours mate. May 2024 be a joyful year mate!

Cheers

Graeme :)

Edited by boetie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

This seems like a very nice tradition.  I'm surprised, not only that my family did not observe it, but that I've not heard of it before this.  For most of my childhood I lived with my grandparents, both of whom were born in England (Southampton and West Hartlepool).  We also celebrated the New Year 1991 in Beccles with friends, but no mention of this custom, either.  Then again, we celebrated the turning of the year in the bell tower of the 14th century church where our friend was a bell ringer ringing in the New Year.  Is this perhaps a more regional custom?  But this is a wonderful story.  

Happy Birthday to your wife! 

(My mother's birthday was also New Year's, my grandmother's was Boxing Day, and my wife's is Christmas Day).

Happy New Year to all!

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember the tradition of the lump of coal being brought in at new year when I was young.

I grew up in Westmorland but my parents were originally from Lancashire.

Shamefully I must admit I never kept it up.

Maybe just as well. Now we are saving the planet I'd probably have to appear at the door with a wind turbine :rolleyes:

Wishing everyone the best for 2024.

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ken Q said:

This seems like a very nice tradition.  I'm surprised, not only that my family did not observe it, but that I've not heard of it before this.  For most of my childhood I lived with my grandparents, both of whom were born in England (Southampton and West Hartlepool).  We also celebrated the New Year 1991 in Beccles with friends, but no mention of this custom, either.  Then again, we celebrated the turning of the year in the bell tower of the 14th century church where our friend was a bell ringer ringing in the New Year.  Is this perhaps a more regional custom?  But this is a wonderful story.  

Happy Birthday to your wife! 

(My mother's birthday was also New Year's, my grandmother's was Boxing Day, and my wife's is Christmas Day).

Happy New Year to all!

Ken

Hi Ken - I suppose it was much more a Northern tradition - stemming from Scotland - Hogmanay celebrations - but as John Says 

- very much a Lancashire /Yorkshire tradition - with coal mining a major part of lives - so coming from the deep South - you wouldn't 

see much coal for your fires except in winter

Big coincidence on the birthday's - my wife complains because it reduces the chance of 2 pressies:D

BTW - Beccles /Norfolk Broads is one of my favourite parts of the world - I learned to sail there and had a boat on my last trip to the UK

as I do every time and my first was back in 1945 - PIc is 1968

68mecrestel.jpg

• Like 3