This Week's Meaningless Topic (#152)(August 4)

Hi all. As research for my latest novel, I've been flying P3D/Orbx across North Africa then down into Sudan. After leaving Gibraltar, I landed in Tunis, Tripoli, Cairo, and Khartoum before finally arriving in Juba, South Sudan. At each city, I paused the flight and went to Google/YouTube to spend time learning about the place-- restaurants, hotels, sights to see, who is shooting whom right now, and so forth. I'm learning a lot and really enjoying it. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'[S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Do you often back up your simulated flying with online/real life looks at the places you are seeing in simulation?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Sure I do that, Rodger. You know me, I even travel (or have traveled earlier) to these places. Or at least I want to know if these places are interesting enough for traveling.

The alternative is that it seems clear I will never travel to these places. One more reason to research!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

No, I do just the opposite Rodger. I only fly to those places I've visited in RL. My wife and I are truly blessed. Over the years we've visited 117 countries. I fly to those places just to relive the memories. And there are so many. If I add on the countries that I alone visited in my business years the total rises to 131. There are no words to express how grateful I am for these years. I just wish that everyone were as lucky as I have been.................

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Here's another aspect of our flight SIM geography/history.  It is no secret here that among my interests is nautical history.  One of my great favorites has always been Richard Henry Dana's "Two Years Before The Mast."  This concerns a voyage from Boston to California in the 1830's, calling in at various "ports" (I'm being generous here) and roadsteads taking on cargos of hides.  I have read this book several times, but until now, the last time was quite a number of years ago.  I just recently read it again.  A whole new experience: since I have been flying the west coast in the sim, the geography became alive.  I could identify with the places Dana describes, and relate his description of these places in 1835 with them today. Santa Barbara and the Islands. Catalina. Monterey. San Diego.  I got so much more out of this rereading!

Ken

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

good question Rodger, for me though I see an area I find interesting, I may have read about it or seen it on TV / Youtube, I then go take a look in the sim, especially with MSFS as the data etc seems to look better than in previous sims...I wish I had the time to travel, I am hoping for a long retirement 😁..

• Upvote 3

Absolutely. Just yesterday I was watching a good YouTuber called Noel Phillips who I follow. He was a passenger on a helicopter flight that included a stopover in India at an airport called Shimla. It looked spectacular so I later loaded up MSFS at the same airport to do a little tour. Unfortunately the Sim did not replicate the scenery as well but I got to test myself and explore the terrain. I do this whenever I come across somewhere/something that piques my interest. The more MSFS develops the better it'll get. What was the question again? ;)

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, wain71 said:

good question Rodger, for me though I see an area I find interesting, I may have read about it or seen it on TV / Youtube, I then go take a look in the sim, especially with MSFS as the data etc seems to look better than in previous sims...I wish I had the time to travel, I am hoping for a long retirement 😁..

Wayne, if you find the solution to a long retirement please copy me in :)

PS. My wife and daughters are visiting the in laws in Brighton at the mo, can you do something about your weather PLS ?

:)

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, boetie said:

Wayne, if you find the solution to a long retirement please copy me in :)

PS. My wife and daughters are visiting the in laws in Brighton at the mo, can you do something about your weather PLS ?

:)

sure will.... ref weather, allegedly from next Wednesday the sun is coming back to our shores....we'll see...watch everyone moaning 'it's to hot!'...

• Haha 2

I tend to do both! If I visited a place or country then I will try to recapture that experience in the simulation. Equally, when I see something of interest - it might be from a book or a documentary - then I will often do quite a bit of research and follow that up with a simulated flight. 

It is a great reminder of the advances in the simulations over the years. I started simming with just 'blue' for the sky and 'green' for the ground. In those days, I could have been anywhere in the world and not known the difference! 😄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I don't usually look at info for places I have flown to but often fly routes I am going to take on vacation. This includes actual airline routes to our destination and since we cruise a lot I fly the cruise line route low and slow usually both before and after our trip.

Larry

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2