This Week's Meaningless Topic (#142)(May 26)

Hi all. Most of us who frequent this thread are Old Guys who have watched the world change a lot since the days of our youth. Technology has changed, the cultural norms have changed, life as we live it has changed. In fact, it is safe to say that change itself has changed, happening in ways unimaginable earlier. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  what in your life has remained the same since your youth?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

The love of airplanes!  My dad was stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB and lived on base next to the USAF Museum.  Every school day I would walk by the XB-70, Strawberry Bitch B-24, B-25, B-29, etc. out of the base gate.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Tough question.  I'm an old stick in the mud, enjoying the connections to my past, and preserving them.  (Now) antique furniture, tableware and silverware that I grew up with living with my grandparents, which I inherited.  After Grandma died, my mom and uncle wanted to sell her silver, but I asked them to keep it and give it to me when I married.  They agreed, and wife enjoy it greatly to this day.  Also grandma's china.  Also have some of her crystal, but it's now too fragile to actually use, so it is proudly displayed. Her prized Regency style sofa from 1938 or so, and the Georgian secretary are focal points in our home.  Links to the past.  Incidentally, we're celebrating our 45th anniversary next week.

On the other hand, I greatly appreciate modern wonders!  As I noted in earlier threads and posts, as a young kid I improvised "flight simulators" consisting on cardboard boxes, electric motors, and a lot of imagination.  Today that has morphed into a really realistic sim using two powerful computers, and lots of realistic hardware.  So much has changed in this area, and it's wonderful.  ( I'm just now finishing my new cockpit, pictures to follow soon).

This from an old hatter, working in a 210 year old hat shop in a living history museum.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Tough question.  I'm an old stick in the mud, enjoying the connections to my past, and preserving them.  (Now) antique furniture, tableware and silverware that I grew up with living with my grandparents, which I inherited.  After Grandma died, my mom and uncle wanted to sell her silver, but I asked them to keep it and give it to me when I married.  They agreed, and wife enjoy it greatly to this day.  Also grandma's china.  Also have some of her crystal, but it's now too fragile to actually use, so it is proudly displayed. Her prized Regency style sofa from 1938 or so, and the Georgian secretary are focal points in our home.  Links to the past.  Incidentally, we're celebrating our 45th anniversary next week.

On the other hand, I greatly appreciate modern wonders!  As I noted in earlier threads and posts, as a young kid I improvised "flight simulators" consisting on cardboard boxes, electric motors, and a lot of imagination.  Today that has morphed into a really realistic sim using two powerful computers, and lots of realistic hardware.  So much has changed in this area, and it's wonderful.  ( I'm just now finishing my new cockpit, pictures to follow soon).

This from an old hatter, working in a 210 year old hat shop in a living history museum.

Ken

Looking forward to the pics Ken!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

A basic respect for living things.

An awareness of something more.

A goofy sense of humor.

A love of airplanes.

Can I ditto you Rodger? - and add I've never really grown up.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

well, my mum (83) next month still looks at me when I say about things in the world as though I am still about 12......don't think that's going to change soon...and also I guess me, you see I always said that I am lucky to be a man for 2 reasons, one being childbirth, glad I miss going through that, and blokes never have to grow up, your kids when they are little want to play and someone has to do it, also I am still playing computer games, though didn't have one when I was small, I think they were the size of a small house but you should all know what I mean, we play PC, XBOX or PS5 and no one bats an eyelid, it's great....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, John York said:

Reading.  My Mum taught me to read when I was 3 years old and I've never stopped.  And now at age 90 I have the Kindle Paperwhite which goes into my pocket so I don't need to lug books around.

I love reading, always have, I have something like a kindle however I still prefer a book in my hand...usually got a book, an aviation magazine and caravan mag on the go somewhere in the house at the same time....

• Upvote 2

My age - which constantly - reminds me to assess the past 88 years and what have I achieved - if anything - except I am still here:rolleyes:

I get constant reminders of where I sit in this experience - with examples like - wolfco talks about his teenage kids - 3 of my 8

GREAT grandchildren are teenagers - Wain 71 says his mum   is coming up to 83 - which means I could be his dad:o

Maybe it's been my restlessness led has made me fly aero planes - simulated and real - sail Yachts solo - and travel the World on business

management

Maybe it's been a big help - that I have the pleasure to have had a happy Married life of 65 years and 5 years of previous courtship

with a wonderful lady and a large loving family:smile:

Yes ! -  that is the answer - Family

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, John Heaton said:

My age - which constantly - reminds me to assess the past 88 years and what have I achieved - if anything - except I am still here:rolleyes:

I get constant reminders of where I sit in this experience - with examples like - wolfco talks about his teenage kids - 3 of my 8

GREAT grandchildren are teenagers

My contribution to the world's overpopulation I started rather late though, only at the age of 43.

Now I am 65 and today, June 1st 2023, is the first day of my pension. But you still could be my biological dad. :lol:

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, wolfko said:

My contribution to the world's overpopulation I started rather late though, only at the age of 43.

Now I am 65 and today, June 1st 2023, is the first day of my pension. But you still could be my biological dad. :lol:

welcome to the pensioners corner - Old mate - as for being your dad - Nah! - that was Wayne ;)

But then Again ?? - my eldest son is 63:rolleyes: - but he - doesnt sprachen sie Deutche:D

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, John Heaton said:

welcome to the pensioners corner - Old mate

Thank you John!

I almost forgot that now I am eligible for Orbx' senior citizens discount. Probably an age thing. :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wolfko said:

Thank you John!

I almost forgot that now I am eligible for Orbx' senior citizens discount. Probably an age thing. :lol:

your main difficulty - unfortunately - is trying to get it:banghead:

Central is not set automatically

• Like 1

Hello John, Wolfgang,

it is not too hard to obtain the senior discount.
A support ticket that includes proof of your age will do it every time.
Here is the exact link

I suspect that the main reason that "Central is not set automatically", is that 
it has no idea of your date of birth.:)

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello John, Wolfgang,

it is not too hard to obtain the senior discount.
A support ticket that includes proof of your age will do it every time.
Here is the exact link

I suspect that the main reason that "Central is not set automatically", is that 
it has no idea of your date of birth.:)

Thanks Nick

done ! - once again ! - if at first etc etc 

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Not wishing to derail Rodger's fine topic, you already have the "Senior Discount"

I remember Rodger and the discount some time ago  but I never get it  - so I gave up

Any Chance of a Backdate :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Not wishing to derail Rodger's fine topic...

I tjink that's one of these senior issues, forgetting what the OP was about. :lol:

Anyway, thank you for your instructions Nick.

• Haha 1

Hello,
as the subject of the topic appears to have moved on, you will only get the 20% senior discount if:

There is no existing discount, such as for ownership of the same product in another simulator
There is not already a larger discount, such as during a sale
The product that you are buying is by Orbx, the senior discount is an Orbx initiative and does not
apply to "Partner" products.

• Upvote 2