This Week's Meaningless Topic (#136)(April 14)

Hi all.  The news media dwells incessantly on controversy and disaster. Social media tends toward trolling and snark. The general public is becoming more rude and selfish. In short, life can be a immersion in unpleasantness if we let it. The readers of this thread are a better bunch, quick to laugh, able to deal with challenges, and always bringing a bit of brightness into the day. And that brings us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  How do you stay positive in a negative world? 

• Like 4

Well I've had plenty of ups and downs in the past couple of years I find talking to my Daughter and friends  keeps me going when things are not so good. 

You have to try and stay positive because what's the other alternative. 

cheers 

Iain 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

1.  Be informed, but don't dwell on it.

2. Don't get involved with social media.

3.  Remember we're not the first to have to deal with difficult problems.  An Old English poem, "Deor" goes through verse after verse describing horrible men and the horrible things they did.  Each verse concludes with the refrain "thaes ofereode thises swa maeg." (That passed over, this may also).  Ancient words of wisdom.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

You don't need to stay positive you just have to assess the impact on yourself, accept it and move on. You don't have to look far, generally, to see others far worse off than yourself, which is usually a positve for me at least.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Rodger echoes my sentiments.  Paid for a plant at the Nursery yesterday for a complete stranger.  Didn't make it to my truck before she ran after me to thank me.  Tried to do it on the sly.  She asked me why and I told her we need more kindness in the world.

As for me I'm almost finished with week 4 of not watching any news outlet for national or international news.  Feeling much better for it.  Not that I'm uninterested but I was feeling overwhelmed with the negative press....had to take a break.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

very simple - if you can't fix it - don't worry about it - learn to live with it:banghead:

Why?? - for the 88 years I have been around - that nothing changes - after arriving in the depression of the 30s - World War 11 - constant 

terrorism   for the next 20 years against the British - including my 2 years National Service against them in Cyprus - my brother the same 

in Aden  - floods - Cyclones - more wars in Korea - Malaya - Vietnam - Falklands - climate change  --- and so on ----- indefinitely!:(

The only relief --- emigrating to Australia - in 1970 - a great job - 5 kids - multiple Grand and great grandchildren - and 87 Easter Sundays to 

remind me what we should really concern ourselves about

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Rodger echoes my sentiments.  Paid for a plant at the Nursery yesterday for a complete stranger.  Didn't make it to my truck before she ran after me to thank me.  Tried to do it on the sly.  She asked me why and I told her we need more kindness in the world.

As for me I'm almost finished with week 4 of not watching any news outlet for national or international news.  Feeling much better for it.  Not that I'm uninterested but I was feeling overwhelmed with the negative press....had to take a break.

Was it a plant or a weed Rob.:huh:

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 3

Most important for me is to work to put JOY into my life (BTW, I am not talking about a girl!). That means enjoying nature, singing in choirs, mixing with good friends.

I avoid the social media and 'false idols' totally. I watch sufficient 'news' to keep me up to date with what is happening in the world. I always use different sources for news to obtain a more balanced viewpoint.

A couple of thoughts - 'value what you have, not what you don't have', and remember to 'stop and smell the roses' don't rush every minute of the day, sometimes just find quality time to relax.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, paulb said:

I avoid the social media and 'false idols' totally. I watch sufficient 'news' to keep me up to date with what is happening in the world. I always use different sources for news to obtain a more balanced viewpoint.

A couple of thoughts - 'value what you have, not what you don't have', and remember to 'stop and smell the roses' don't rush every minute of the day, sometimes just find quality time to relax.

I can second these thoughts & strategies, totally. And a good portion of humour, whereever you are, helps so much.

Good memories also help in relaxing times, for example remembering the fantastic vacations we had in the last half year.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

we had a saying in my old Unit, 'if it don't kill you don't worry about it'.....I also aside from here don't do the social media stuff and I turn off things on the TV or Radio that make me want to shout or throw something...this is going to make me sound old but I think the world was a bit better before mobile phones, you weren't bombarded with news all day and could go out and do a days work and be left alone to do just that.....you should also remember this is not a trial run, you get one go so make the most of it, and people, stop being so angry all the time, say 'Morning' , smile and just don't be so tense over things that really don't matter....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3