all simmed out!

wain71

So today I got home early for a few hours before I need to go out again, I fired up one of my sims, launched a flight then once it had loaded and I am sat in the cockpit I thought ' no I really can't be bothered'....been like this all week....I think I am sim tired or something.....I noticed last week I wasn't really interested in flying and even when I had chance I didn't bother I played 'Dirt4' on Steam instead, I did buy the A340 last week, did 2 flights but after that I haven't touched the sim(s).....I hope it's not permanent.....

I sold my 10 yr old Seat Ibiza last week, got a really good deal, seems second hand cars are sought after, so seeing as I appear to be bored with flightsim I bought a Sony PS5 for myself, really good fun up to now, however I hope I get my craving for the flightsim back soon, but maybe I just need a break from it, let's hope so....

any cures out there from you all?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

any cures out there from you all?

More hobbies than flight simming alone?

I only fly the sim when I'm not photographing real (military) aviation.

And I am photographing a lot last weeks.

When I do not have the camera in my hands I like to hike.

And there is also my soccer club where I work as a volunteer.

But I do look forward to the next World Update for MSFS. :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Yep, go for a long walk each day to clear your head. It happens to many and can be worse when it’s your job! Read a book or take up another hobby for a while. It will come back and I found VFR flying was a way back when I left for a while! So hang tight and don’t overthink it!

Chin up!

John.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Sounds familiar, Wayne. Me too. I'm guessing that flight sim is like any other hobby--you need a break once in a while. I left off simming for a bit and concentrated on getting my latest novel ready for the publisher. Now I'm finding that a bit of air time feels fresh again. It isn't either-or, Mate. Do it when it's fun and don't when it ain't. 

Buy Lanco Duck Pilot Rubber Duck Online at desertcartGuatemala

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I got my break when they carted me off to the hospital, and the recovery, wasn't the sort I wanted or needed, but it was a break - refreshing 🙄. Now I'm having another break, not from the sim, but from flying, trying to sort out the problems I've got with my new download, so I'm   grounded until I get that done, but agree with all the guys, get away from it, find another interest, and come back refreshed. 

Don

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You will see a Post from me earlier this year about not simming as much these days.

Meanwhile I have discovered Piano Groove see https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pianogroove

If the link dosen't work put Piano Groove in the YouTube search bar.

I am DL songs with Jazz chords and playing them on my Technics GA3 Organ.

This is a diversion from P3D.

Cheers

Ken

• Like 3

I stopped flying some years ago now.  Gave all my equipment away along with my powerful computer and bought myself a laptop.  Can't say I've missed it that much.  I did write and publish some stories which are available on Amazon.  Now, at 90 in March I enjoy reading my Kindle, writing rubbish to Rodger and going to the golf club weekly.  Luckily my half Chinese wife keeps me well fed. Can't ask for more can you?!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

cheers for the posts, glad to see it's not just me.....I have been involved in some intense BETA testing over the last few months, some have now been released so I may just have been doing to much of that and not pleasure flights... anyway I have been enjoying Fernbus simulator on steam, just driving a bus around europe, all good fun.... haven't done much walking lately, work been hectic and a family bereavement, it's been a bit chaotic.....I do like to have a good read, watch a bit of sport on TV etc, so I have a mix of hobbies.....

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, wain71 said:

cheers for the posts, glad to see it's not just me.....I have been involved in some intense BETA testing over the last few months, some have now been released so I may just have been doing to much of that and not pleasure flights... anyway I have been enjoying Fernbus simulator on steam, just driving a bus around europe, all good fun.... haven't done much walking lately, work been hectic and a family bereavement, it's been a bit chaotic.....I do like to have a good read, watch a bit of sport on TV etc, so I have a mix of hobbies.....

We await your work on the Vulcan:D

• Like 2

I've been in that zone for a couple of years now Wayne.

Occasionally I might have a quick fly for around 10 min

but also get bored and lose interest.

If there was an update in Aus and N.Z freeware traffic

for P3d it might peak my interest, but that doesn't seem 

to happen anymore.???

cheers

Gumby

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My story is the complete opposite!

Sometime around 2000 i got fed up with Flight simming and went completely away from it to photography and 

its various Manipulations creating a sort of artwork - especially the creation of very large Panoramas of the area 

around Noosa where we lived at the time - and the production of DVDs for people from their 8mm films.

This was a 180 of my garage and workroom0002.thumb.JPG.485476ad6f3019038cab33881b74e32f.JPG

When we moved here to the GC - I took up painting in oils and acrylics - in a group of like-minded artists in a forum

very much like this one - until the "one who has to be obeyed"- refused to let me hang anymore in the house or garage

heres one of Melbourne 

Then - since Orbx had infused the thought in me - and P3D seemed to be much better - I dusted off the early peripherals

and went back to simming - and a huge investment in software - and then came along - the Giant MSFS - more investment

in hardware and software - my wife no longer complains about me spending all my time in my flight room - and no more smell of

paint around the house

Spooooh!!  - Off I go - into the Wild Blue Yonder - around 8 hours per day - and loving it - snags and all

Melbourne%20-%20%20End%20of%20the%20Day.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Bullfox said:

A bit impressionist I would say.  Is that from a MSFS screenshot?

gee - thanks mate - the impressionist route is exactly what I took for most of my work:) - but not an mS screenshot !!

Here's a Turneresq  view of an Orbx screenshot:ph34r:1862816199_GoodMorningFatherThamesPano.thumb.jpg.4d933562b9c2ef131d3efa17a560e37f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

You and John York should get in touch. John is an excellent oil painter.

John is 3 years older than me - and therefore more experienced. :rolleyes: - and he says he doesn't fly sims these days

soooh - he has more time on his hands;)

• Like 2

Looks impressive John!

I forgot to add that I made (game/demo) music until 1999. Since I moved to the place where I live now, the studio is collecting dust in the boxes on the attic.

That is 23 years now. I wonder if the equipment (synthesizers, drummachines, samplers, mixing table, etc.) still works. :rolleyes:

Speaking of a long break. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2023 at 3:53 AM, John Heaton said:

My story is the complete opposite!

Sometime around 2000 i got fed up with Flight simming and went completely away from it to photography and 

its various Manipulations creating a sort of artwork - especially the creation of very large Panoramas of the area 

around Noosa where we lived at the time - and the production of DVDs for people from their 8mm films.

This was a 180 of my garage and workroom0002.thumb.JPG.485476ad6f3019038cab33881b74e32f.JPG

When we moved here to the GC - I took up painting in oils and acrylics - in a group of like-minded artists in a forum

very much like this one - until the "one who has to be obeyed"- refused to let me hang anymore in the house or garage

heres one of Melbourne 

Then - since Orbx had infused the thought in me - and P3D seemed to be much better - I dusted off the early peripherals

and went back to simming - and a huge investment in software - and then came along - the Giant MSFS - more investment

in hardware and software - my wife no longer complains about me spending all my time in my flight room - and no more smell of

paint around the house

Spooooh!!  - Off I go - into the Wild Blue Yonder - around 8 hours per day - and loving it - snags and all

Melbourne%20-%20%20End%20of%20the%20Day.jpg

Impressive set up there John, looks like you have quite a talent there.. I think I'll be back in the saddle soon but I have been enjoying my couple of weeks away from my Sims, I think it's done good, and the PS5 purchase was well worth it...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, wain71 said:

Impressive set up there John, looks like you have quite a talent there.. I think I'll be back in the saddle soon but I have been enjoying my couple of weeks away from my Sims, I think it's done good, and the PS5 purchase was well worth it...

Just you get back to that Vulcan bomber - I want to fly it to Moscow:D

'

Meanwhile - just to show that I hadn't completely forgotten my flight Simming - here's a Painting I did a long time ago

There is a manmade strip of land ( SPIT) to protect a certain expensive part of Noosa - one of our more famous Holiday spots in Queensland

which provided the title - "NOOSA SPIT" --- just an impression :rolleyes:

Noosa Spit.jpg

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 4:31 PM, wain71 said:

.....I sold my 10 yr old Seat Ibiza last week, got a really good deal, seems second hand cars are sought after......

Nothing to do with simming but this line caught my eye and is a bit ninoo-ninoo.... I too sold my Ibiza a couple of months ago.  In fact the main dealer actually called me up to see if I'd be interested in selling to them ('66 plate, less than 16k on the clock).  I said maybe, what are you offering ?  They said they'd give me what I paid for it three years ago to which I said "see you in ten minutes.....".    They told me they usually have around 800 used cars across their network but only had 300 and were desperate for stock.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2023 at 11:06 AM, KevinJH said:

Nothing to do with simming but this line caught my eye and is a bit ninoo-ninoo.... I too sold my Ibiza a couple of months ago.  In fact the main dealer actually called me up to see if I'd be interested in selling to them ('66 plate, less than 16k on the clock).  I said maybe, what are you offering ?  They said they'd give me what I paid for it three years ago to which I said "see you in ten minutes.....".    They told me they usually have around 800 used cars across their network but only had 300 and were desperate for stock.

yeah mine was bought 5 yrs ago and was sold for just 600 quid less than it was bought for, seems madness at the moment in the UK when you look at the seconhand market...

on the subject of the initial post I haven't used any of my flightsims since feb 21st and I am now thinking that I may well do a flight at the weekend and quite looking forward to it, I think the break has done me good...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2023 at 10:37 AM, wain71 said:

on the subject of the initial post I haven't used any of my flightsims since feb 21st and I am now thinking that I may well do a flight at the weekend and quite looking forward to it, I think the break has done me good...

Wayne is making a good point: take a break.  I stopped my flight simming entirely for about ten years.  When I came back to it everything had changed and grown.  Software was so much better, the computers so much more powerful, and hardware so much more plentiful and less expensive.  So I got back into it in a big way, finding that I could, with some effort, have a very realistic sim.  But even with that, I agree, there are times I just can't find the enthusiasm.  My thoughts on fighting the blahs:

1.  Be inspired by the real world.  I enjoy a couple of YouTube channels by R/W pilots that make me want to get into the sim.  Favorites, Josh Flowers' "Aviation 101", Steveo1Kinevo and Stevie Triesenberg.  Josh is young CFII flying all over the country, and I've learned a lot from him. Steve is a commercial pilot flying a TBM from Florida. Stevie is also a CFI flying a 71 y/o Bonanza in SoCal.

I also have an online subscription to " Plane and Pilot".  Only a couple of bucks a year, and a great help in flying realistically.

2.  Use available resources to make it as realistic as possible.  I'm preaching to the choir when I start with Orbx scenery.  But then there's Active Sky and PilotEdge.

3. Construct the most accurate SIM cockpit that space, finances and building skills allow.

4. Don't "fly" every day.  Take a break.

To this I'll add, find a plane or a couple of planes your passionate about, vary locations, and find challenges.

Keep it fresh and happy flying!

Ken

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bullfox said:

Summer is a comming and I am dialing back on flight simming as other hobbies take over. Maybe by next winter A2A will have the Comanche out and I'll try MSFS.

With summer comes one of the great challenges in the Flightsim world - SimVenture.  Before air venture at Oshkosh PilotEdge team with EAA and offers an opportunity to fly the famous FISK arrival into Oshkosh along with many, many other simmers.  The real world air venture controllers handle the traffic.  Great fun, and a wonderful challenge.  And if you don't like to talk on the "radio," don't worry, you don't have to. Rock your wings and fly according to the instructions!

They've done this for the last three years.  No announcement yet, but it's been very popular, so I expect they will offer it this year.

I wish I could figure out how to get A2A planes to run with SPADnext on my network.  I'd love to have their Comanche.  I recently flew the R/W PA24 and loved it.

Ken

• Like 2

I'm finding now that I look at the time I have, if it's not really long enough for a proper flight I spend half an hour maybe on WRC Generations and get a 'speed' fix, maybe only flying two or three times a week but allocating a few hours and flying properly, it was starting to get a bit like an addiction where I needed a 'fix' everyday, the step away has done me good....and we both enjoy walks in the great outdoors so hopefully with a bit less rain around soon we will be off on some nice walks which are great for you in so many different ways, and with a wonky knee I definitely need to keep walking...

Edited by wain71
Spelling
  • Like 2