Questions about buying MSFS2020

Ken Terry

I am still on P3dV4.5 and I am considering buying Microsoft Flight Simulator as all future developments seem to be for that platform.

Some questions

1  Where is the best place to buy it?

2  There seems to be lots of words about Xbox, is there a separate version for PC?

3   There are three editions Standard - Delux - Premium Delux which do you recommend?

Any other advice welcome

Thanks

Ken

• Like 2

I purchased from Steam and not had any problems.

You buy the version for the hardware - ie pc version for a pc and xbox version for xbox. There are more addons available for the pc.

I purchased the premium deluxe. It has extra aircraft and handcrafted scenery included. Otherwise, there is no difference between the versions.

Have fun! :)

• Like 1

Hello Ken,

in each case, the purchasing medium is a matter of personal choice.

As I am given to understand, whether the game is bought from Steam or direct from Microsoft,

it is only the game that is sold.

That is the first download of less than 2 GB that starts the game.

Once that is installed, the remaining content of around 90GB is downloaded by the game and

from the same source, Microsoft, once again, regardless of where the game was purchased.

For a new purchaser, once the 90 GB or so is installed, there are then 11 free World Updates

available, to enhance the default virtual world.

Installing these will bring the total size of the Microsoft installation to around 200 GB.

Then there is the Community folder, which is used for all third-party addons.

It can grow like a weed.

It is therefore vital to have enough free space.

Be aware, that the default installation is in the appdata folder on the C drive.

Almost certainly, you will want to change that and you can do so at the installation stage.

• Like 2

I bought through Microsoft store, I have steam on my system but went to Microsoft direct as one advantage is if you have a newer XBOX like I do you can install MSFS onto that at no extra cost, I have that at our Caravan on the coast and use it sometimes if we are away and the weather is not to good.....

I initially bought just the Standard, but then had to upgrade, I think it's been about long enough to be able to decide which version you want, I though would recommend Premium Deluxe but that's entirely up to you...

My version on XBOX though only has the addons I bought at Marketplace so that's also worth thinking about, how you will buy your addons, updates and new addons can take a while to get to Marketplace, I tend to buy them direct from Orbx, Just Flight etc...

14 hours ago, Ken Terry said:

I am still on P3dV4.5 and I am considering buying Microsoft Flight Simulator as all future developments seem to be for that platform.

Some questions

1  Where is the best place to buy it?

2  There seems to be lots of words about Xbox, is there a separate version for PC?

3   There are three editions Standard - Delux - Premium Delux which do you recommend?

Any other advice welcome

Thanks

Ken

From what i know the Steam version makes the files much more easily accessable. So if youre planning on getting addons thats the platform id go with. As for the version that really is up to you, there should be a list on their website showing which version contains what. I went with the most expensive one becasue it had the most handcrafted airport even though i still almost always use addons for that.