Queen of the skies

paulb

Just now, wain71 said:

superb set of shots there Paul, xplane is looking great....nice picture to...still amazes me how something so big can fly...

Many thanks Wayne :). It was a real change flying the 747. In recent months I have just flown single or twin engined props. The 747 is so big! 

• Like 2

Great to see that livery flying again Paul in your excellent set and that the plane has been preserved in RL.:)

It is a shame the Speedbird logo hasn't been retained today.

I like the photo but light poles and fences are always a problem.:(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Great to see that livery flying again Paul in your excellent set and that the plane has been preserved in RL.:)

It is a shame the Speedbird logo hasn't been retained today.

I like the photo but light poles and fences are always a problem.:(

Thanks Martyn :). Well, I went to the nearby aircraft museum (just slightly outside St Athan) for the morning. They maintain, store and break up aircraft on the base. I was surprised to see G-BYGC still there intact. So I did a bit of research. Hence the post ;)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

Very nice set Paul.:)

It's a shame how what was considered modern, can be replaced so soon.:(

cheers

Gumby

Thanks Gumby :).  Well, G-BYGC was delivered to British Airways in January 1999, so it had quite a long flying life I guess. It was due to be retired in 2024, but the downturn in air traffic caused by the coronavirus pandemic brought that date forward :(.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, andiflyit said:

Excellent shots Paul, I always like shots showing a nice 747. The last one is that from reallife? :) Great perspective...

Thank you Andreas. Yes, the very final shot is real life :).

• Like 1

Fantastic shots of the golden speedbird, Paul. And the photo gives them an extra kick.

On 7/29/2022 at 1:14 PM, paulb said:

The last flight by a British Airways Boeing 747 was in December 2020.

Have they really retired all 747s?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic shots of the golden speedbird, Paul. And the photo gives them an extra kick.

Have they really retired all 747s?

Many thanks Gerold. Glad that you enjoyed them :).

Yes, all BA 747's have been retired. The last flight was by G-BYGC Cardiff to St Athan. Hence the post.

• Like 1