Severn up

VH-KDK

Orbx Content: TE Great Britian South

dsMYiIo.jpg

Just flown over Bristol with Filton Airport below the Caribou. On the right is the Severn Estuary which has a width of between 2 miles at the mouth of the River Severn and 9 miles where it turns into the Bristol Channel. With 50 ft tides it has some of the biggest tides in the world. The highest tides are marked with the Severn Bore,  which occurs on 130 days of the year.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, BradB said:

Bore tides are quite a sight too see , saw them several times up in Alaska . 

Thanks John.

Something I have never seen but I imagine they would be fascinating to observe.:)

nice shot there Martyn, I waved as you went past...:D....Filton is now full of houses and Brabazon hangar will eventually be a concert venue, Queen were rehearsing there the other week before touring...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, paulb said:

You are in a nice part of the world Martyn ;).

I actually spent some time researching the Bristol Channel for my son's thesis on tidal power when he was in Uni.

I liked that area too Paul  but I only ever drove through.

That would have been interesting looking into that especially with the huge tides.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wain71 said:

nice shot there Martyn, I waved as you went past...:D....Filton is now full of houses and Brabazon hangar will eventually be a concert venue, Queen were rehearsing there the other week before touring...

I wondered who that was! Bristol was a little busy yesterday.:)

A shame about Filton but I suppose it is progress and good the hear that Queen are still going.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

I liked that area too Paul  but I only ever drove through.

That would have been interesting looking into that especially with the huge tides.

It is ideal for tidal power. A few post grad students asked if they could use the stats in my son's thesis. So, maybe one day the will be more to add to the scenery!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic shot & information, Martyn - and also the comments here are great.

Thanks Gerold, I appreciate everyone who takes the time to comment and better still if they have any stories relating to posts.:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, paulb said:

It is ideal for tidal power. A few post grad students asked if they could use the stats in my son's thesis. So, maybe one day the will be more to add to the scenery!

That is good Paul, lets hope that something eventually comes of it.:)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wain71 said:

@VH-KDKthat's an interesting plane...

They say you get one chance with the bore and some fall straight off, must be annoying.,

I have always been impressed with the Caribou and being radial powered makes it even better.

At least they don't have Great Whites to worry about when waiting to catch the wave!:lol:

• Haha 1