Prayers for mates in Sydney

4 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Australia has always been a land of floods, bush fires and storms - unfortunately developers over the last century have insisted on building communities where all of those things occur.

that sounds familiar, I remember where my wife comes from there was a small valley, known locally has 'the water meadow', every year it would be flooded for a while, now the sits a housing estate, flooding further down the line, the water has to go somewhere...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/6/2022 at 1:27 AM, wain71 said:

yeah you all stay safe.....is this a new occurrence or has this always gone on in past times?

To be honest Wayne, Australia is currently under the influence of a La Nina weather pattern that results in wetter and cooler conditions on its east coast. Whilst the occurrence of La Nina is  not necessarily that unusual (I'll let you Google what it is and how it affects Australia and South America), what is unusual is that it is occurring 2 years in a row. The opposite of La Nina is El Nino, which results in drought on the East Coast and can lead to the massive bush fires seen in previous years. Also, the effects of both weather patterns are becoming much more extreme. I think this is prevalent world wide. Global warming doesn't mean we don't get cooler than average temperatures, or less rain per se. It means we get more extreme events that last much longer, either hotter, wetter or colder.

When I see posts like this, it reminds me there are caring people all over the world and that maybe, we might still have a chance. Thanks to all you good folk. More of you I say!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 7/7/2022 at 10:49 AM, MurrayD said:

To be honest Wayne, Australia is currently under the influence of a La Nina weather pattern that results in wetter and cooler conditions on its east coast. Whilst the occurrence of La Nina is  not necessarily that unusual (I'll let you Google what it is and how it affects Australia and South America), what is unusual is that it is occurring 2 years in a row. The opposite of La Nina is El Nino, which results in drought on the East Coast and can lead to the massive bush fires seen in previous years. Also, the effects of both weather patterns are becoming much more extreme. I think this is prevalent world wide. Global warming doesn't mean we don't get cooler than average temperatures, or less rain per se. It means we get more extreme events that last much longer, either hotter, wetter or colder.

When I see posts like this, it reminds me there are caring people all over the world and that maybe, we might still have a chance. Thanks to all you good folk. More of you I say!

right I see now, yeah the weather seems to be getting more extreme all around us, I often say how lucky we are in the UK to not really be on the receiving end of truly extreme weather, compare to other places around the world....but we do like to moan about it!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Yes, stay safe out there.  Flooding can be very unpredictable.  Here in N Calif we will have 112 F heat tomorrow.  Sounds bad but I've seen it hotter.

wow, and it's all over the news here in the UK that some parts will get above 30!......for me with the heat it's the night time, if I can sleep I can cope with the hot days....

• Like 2