Concern for Brisbane and area

Likewise, was reading about this last night and my concerns since then about my flight sim friends over there. Hope you all are dry and on high ground, and hopefully have not lost anyone or any property to the flooding. 

Landon

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been fortunate here in Tweed. My business has been cut off and closed for two days but is dry. A couple of my team have had a couple of feet of muddy water through their houses. Unfortunately my colleagues an hour south have lost everything. If you google Lismore floods you'll see the unfolding catastrophe. The "rain bomb" as they called it moved south from the Brisbane area and has unleashed on northern NSW.  Prayers are with those folks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

54 minutes ago, boetie said:

A couple of my team have had a couple of feet of muddy water through their houses. Unfortunately my colleagues an hour south have lost everything. If you google Lismore floods you'll see the unfolding catastrophe. The "rain bomb" as they called it moved south from the Brisbane area and has unleashed on northern NSW

Hopefully, in the near future they can begin the healing/rebuilding process and climb out of the depths of nature's destruction and move forward from where they are now. 

Landon

• Like 6

1 hour ago, John Heaton said:

It is good to know that somewhere in the world -  someone has noticed the potential plight of mine  - Boetie's - and thousands of our neighbors

In my case here on the Gold Coast - we recorded 51/2 " of rain in 48 hours - and that was no Joke - but little or no effect on yours truly - thankfully

This time of the year is known as our wet season - because - as most of you simmers know - we are a dry Country - and we get quite used

to a couple of inches now and again - hopefully in our Dam catchments areas

However - speaking of jokes - this photo  - taken yesterday - just up the road in the next main area   - is an epitome of the old joke -

"Must have been written by a Real Estate bloke!":rolleyes:

Screenshot 2022-03-01 152922.jpg

Good to see John, that you haven't lost your sense of humor under these serious circumstances. :)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

been so busy watching the horrors of Ukraine I didn't realise until last nights news about the floods.....you all stay safe, and look out for each other, in hard times we really find out who the good people around us are...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am safe here in Brighton which becomes an island in the floods, just a bit of flooding in the back yard of my sloping block caused by backed up storm-water drains and high tides in Moreton Bay.  The adjacent Pine River never floods seriously for some reason.  However the Brisbane River to my SE about 8 miles is a different story and my youngest son who lives with me could not get to work at Eagle Farm for a couple of days.  Many of our friends in the inner city suburbs and upstream suburbs had to evacuate.

One of my nephews is a Jetstar Captain and he had the so far unique experience, after landing his aircraft at Brisbane Airport, of being towed off the runway to his parking position - the runways were the only areas that were not under water!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, wain71 said:

that looks pretty bad, going by your picture you are higher up, is this something you see happen often?

I'm about 50 metres above the river,

Longtime locals say it is the highest they have seen it - for this particular area,

& the photo shows that it is a natural floodplain - I've only been at my current location for 4 years,

when first moved in, it was drought conditions - a land of extremes,

& each flood event has its own varying characteristics & effects... 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, craigeaglefire said:

'm about 50 metres above the river,

Longtime locals say it is the highest they have seen it - for this particular area,

& the photo shows that it is a natural floodplain - I've only been at my current location for 4 years,

when first moved in, it was drought conditions - a land of extremes,

& each flood event has its own varying characteristics & effects... 

Well, hopefully the flooding doesn't reach your level then. Good to hear you have a bit of a buffer, at least for now. Is the water still rising, or have the storms died down at all?

Landon

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Well, hopefully the flooding doesn't reach your level then. Good to hear you have a bit of a buffer, at least for now. Is the water still rising, or have the storms died down at all?

thanks for your question, Landon

the situation now - viewing the flood plain...

5V1oMtd.jpg

Kyogle is cattle country, & the flood plain is the reason for such lush pastures - just not so good for houses,

our whole area is called the Northern Rivers NSW,

& this rain/flood event is as a result of what is called an East Coast Low,

this event is continuing across a very wide area - even down to Sydney environs,

the Emergency Service workers are absolute legends!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, craigeaglefire said:

Okay, got it...appreciate the update and deeper information on the situation. Wishing everyone the best down there.

Landon

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

thanks for your question, Landon

5V1oMtd.jpg

Kyogle is cattle country, & the flood plain is the reason for such lush pastures - just not so good for houses,

our whole area is called the Northern Rivers NSW,

& this rain/flood event is as a result of what is called an East Coast Low,

this event is continuing across a very wide area - even down to Sydney environs,

the Emergency Service workers are absolute legends!

glad to see it seems to be going near you.....problem we seem to have here in the UK is building work and new houses being built on what have for years been flood area, where the water could go and not cause an issue, where my wife used to live they had a low lying area that they called 'the water meadows', every year this would be like an area that was just under water when it was the wet time of the year...now that whole area is covered with houses and tarmac, the water still has to go somewhere though....

you all stay safe down there....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Currently isolating due to a positive covid test. Thought I would use the time to watch tutorials etc on aircraft systems/operations etc and binge on TV streaming services. Due to the floods we've had no internet for three days and none of this is possible. Then I think of those who have lost everything around our region, it's insignificant. I'll read a dry book. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, boetie said:

Currently isolating due to a positive covid test. Thought I would use the time to watch tutorials etc on aircraft systems/operations etc and binge on TV streaming services. Due to the floods we've had no internet for three days and none of this is possible. Then I think of those who have lost everything around our region, it's insignificant. I'll read a dry book. 

Frank - how many jabs have you had ?? - bad luck with the covid  -- and no internet mate - sheesh - hope the book is good and not called "Trouble In Threes":wacko: 

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

Frank - how many jabs have you had ?? - bad luck with the covid  -- and no internet mate - sheesh - hope the book is good and not called "Trouble In Threes":wacko: 

Not Frank John. It's your southern neighbour mate. Triple jabbed. It was like a really bad man flu. Thank God I had the booster. It's really brought home how the internet is part of everyday life :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, boetie said:

Not Frank John. It's your southern neighbour mate. Triple jabbed. It was like a really bad man flu. Thank God I had the booster. It's really brought home how the internet is part of everyday life :)

Graeme, I'm sorry to hear of your multiple hit, but I appreciate your attitude about it. Of course, you've always been a classy guy, so we'd expect nothing less ;).

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

All the best to you guys at the east Oz coast. Sounds like hard weather - or is it already an effect of climate?

A Combination of 2 things - our normal wet season (monsoon?) - and this year - the start of a new El Nino season in the Pacific 

Part of one of our favourite poems

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror –
The wide brown land for me!

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1