Cold Weather Ambience ....

renault

Cheers

R

Orbx NA Alaska Mesh 

Utqiagvik (Barrow) , Alaska (find it on a map to see how far away it is :)). 

A hint - it's  about 500 km north of the Arctic circle.

Current temp at time of posting -3C 

The predominant land in this part of the world is tundra, which sits on top of permafrost.  

Although it can be upwards of 1300 ft deep in some areas,  Climate change and warming of the Arctic eventually leading to melting of the permafrost

is a major concern.

Utgiagvik, is the largest city on the Alaska North Slope and in 2017 had a population of approximately 4400.  It experiences Polar Night which lasts

from November to January when the sun never comes above the horizon.  However in mid May, the sun doesn't set for about 2 1/2 months (24 hr daylight)

so there is compensation .

I had a friend at work who grew up in this part of the world.  He said in the summer, children would sometimes play until they got exhausted and just curled up on the

ground.  The elders and adults in the community kept a careful watch on them all, and when this happened would collect them and either return them to home or sometimes

they woke up at a friends.  My friend Bernard, said that this was often the best part, because their breakfasts were always better than his mom's :):lol:

It is surrounded by tundra and is not accessible by road.  It is home to the Iñupiat people, and many scientists who come 

to study arctic weather conditions.

0-0-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-11-11-57-23

0-1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-11-12-08-05

0-2-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-11-12-01-29

0-4-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-11-12-14-06

0-5-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-11-12-16-21

1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-11-12-17-40-2

2-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-11-12-19-36-2

3-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-11-12-20-21-2

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Interesting background info and good screenshots to go with it Pete. I bet there are some pretty strong winds up there most of the time, which I can only assume make taking off and landing a real hoot ;) 

Cheers!

Landon

1 hour ago, Ken Hall said:

Great background story Pete, those shots capture that northern twilight lighting. I can jump into those shots and get the feeling of being in that remarkable part of the world.

Thanks Ken.  I know that you are looking forward to summer, but for us in northern climes this is what lies before us.  

The light this far north is truly magical at this time of year.  It makes one realize how diverse and beautiful our world truly is.

With all the problems facing us at the moment, we tend to forget that there are so many things that we truly should be

thankful for and continue to enjoy.

See you

Cheers

Pete

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Tremendous shots Pete , I fly alot out of the great freeware Barrow airport for MSFS .

Ah then you know all about this part of the world.  The first thing I did when I started the engine was to pull the heater knobs straight out.

I know its just a sim of the real thing, but it still made me feel quite cosy :rolleyes::lol::lol:

Cheers & thanks

Pete

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Interesting background info and good screenshots to go with it Pete. I bet there are some pretty strong winds up there most of the time, which I can only assume make taking off and landing a real hoot ;) 

Cheers!

Landon

Thanks Landon :)

Ah, yes the wind.  From the time I was old enough to understand I was told about the wind

especially in the winter and how dangerous it could be when it was very cold.  Growing up it never bothered me that much though.

Now ..... well a different story entirely.

If I can't go from my heated house to my heated garage and into my car ..... well I ain't going out !! 

Cheers

Pete

22 minutes ago, lifejogger said:

Awesome shots Pete, looks like real photos.

Thank you John. I very much appreciate your comment.:)

Color fidelity is as much my hobby as is flight simulation.

It's nice when I can get things to come together nicely.

And I keep learning so much about the nuisances of color science

We truly are in the best of times:)

Cheers and thank you

Pete

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bullfox said:

Very nice.  Very nicely captures the look of snow.

Thank you

There are some really interesting places in or world to explore :)

Cheers

Pete

7 hours ago, John Mac said:

Great info, great pics!

John.

Thank you JM :)

See you

Pete

On 10/12/2021 at 10:04 PM, Rob Abernathy said:

Loved the story and pictures Pete.  The wind reminds me of my stay on Adak Island out towards the western end of the Aleutian Island chain.  We always referred to the wind as the "hawk".  It always blew sometimes mild other times like a Willy Waw!

Thanks Rob

I am pleased you enjoyed them

I remember growing up further south from here , in the winter it would be absolutely brilliant sunshine , -25 to -30C , with a wind and we wouldn't be let outside

to play because for a child it was very dangerous because of the wind chill.

This is one of the times when I think simulation offers some real advantages.:)

Cheers and thanks for the comments

Pete

On 10/13/2021 at 3:48 AM, adambar said:

Nice story and shots Pete, well done! :)

Thanks Adam:)

Cheers

Pete 

11 hours ago, jean marc said:

a so great light...perfectly clear blue sky and wonderful icy earth ... and sure that's a personal plane :)

Thanks JM:)

11 hours ago, jean marc said:

Pete if you like to fly also with a full of (very beautiful) stickers plane (great painting from inuit people), this livery could suit to you over this frozen icy world :)

https://flightsim.to/file/3456/savage-cub-c-kjrk-poste-de-la-baleine

Oh yes!! That is magic.  I will download it.

Watch this space !

Thank you for the kind comments and the link:)

Cheers

Pete

2 hours ago, wain71 said:

great shots there Pete, so real, need to get me jacket...

Thanks Wayne

Its what winters can be like where I live.  Beautiful sunlight and colder than the dickens

or on a hot and humid day, have a look again. It will make you feel cooler :)

Its a very flexible screenshot ... :lol::lol:

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jean marc said:

Pete if you like to fly also with a full of (very beautiful) stickers plane (great painting from inuit people), this livery could suit to you over this frozen icy world :)

https://flightsim.to/file/3456/savage-cub-c-kjrk-poste-de-la-baleine

You are right  JM @jean marc... It is a fantastic livery and very appropriate for this part of the world ....

Hope you like it :)

1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-14-17-25-33-2

2-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-14-17-23-06-2

3-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-14-17-22-20-2

4-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-14-17-21-23-2

5-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-14-17-20-32-2

6-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-14-17-41-52-2