This Week's Meaningless Topic (#53) (Sept 11)

Hi all. Most of us have eaten horseradish or kimchi or wasabi with a meal. After our sinuses healed, we bragged about how we could eat the hot stuff. But those condiments are mild compared to some of the really hot foods in this world. We are a well-travelled bunch and have eaten in a lot of places. You want hot? How about these?

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING DISHES HAVE YOU EATEN, AND HOW HOT WAS IT REALLY?

A. Jjambbong (Korea)

image.jpeg.78f450aaa7a6959ba5170d757ece35a9.jpeg

B. Camarones a la Diablo (Mexico)

Camarones a La Diablo (Shrimp Diablo) | Spicy recipes, Seafood dinner,  Healthy recipes

C. Gaeng Tai Pla (Thailand)

Thai Airways - Thai fish organs sour soup or kaeng tai pla is a curry of  typical Southern Thai cuisine. Its name is derived from tai pla, a salty  sauce made from

D. Phaal Curry (India)

image.jpeg.ce7dcb761e8f25657755c52b203f1e99.jpeg

E. Doro Wat (Ethiopia)

Ethiopian Doro Wat Chicken Stew with Warm Flatbread | Marley Spoon

F. Sichuan Hot Pot (China)

The 9 Best Hot Pot Restaurants in Shanghai

G. Texas Chili (USA)

image.jpeg.862e55e673c847162ad8d52453af240f.jpeg

• Like 4

Very fond of chili, Texas or otherwise.  And we love the cuisine of Sichuan and Hunan, though we've not had the Sichuan hot pot.  We do, however entertain with the Mongolian hot pot.  That is not in itself spicy, but served with chili oil and hot mustard.  My wife loves it because all the prep is done in advance and she can enjoy the company without fussing.  At one time we did a lot of Chinese cooking with dishes from all over China, but a preference for Sichuan.  We still do from time to time, but nowhere near as much.  Kung pao gai ding is my favorite.

When we were younger, and really crazy, we used to do a Chinese banquet for our church social club.  We prepared ten courses for about 70 people.  Of course we had a committee to help.

When I was stationed in Naples Italy during Desert Shield/Storm I was housed in an apartment with five other guys.  We had nice little kitchen, so my wife sent me a care package: A full selection of Chinese ingredients. My roomies and I ate well.

Today there is a nice trend developing here on Long Island.  In part because of the University having a lot of native Chinese students. REAL Chinese restaurants are opening in addition to the ubiquitous Chinese-American.

Of course this area has a lot of Mexican and South American people too,and great places that serve their food are abundant too.  Can't get bored with the cuisine.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Used to enjoy F and G very tasty both of them but no where near as hot as some of the dishes I had in India, Ceylon and Indonesia.  Haven't been able to eat any of these foods for about 20 years - aging health dietary restrictions .......

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

Of course the heat can be adjusted to taste.  I've found that as I get older my tolerance for heat  (in food, and both heat and cold in temperature) has diminished.  But I still like spicy food, just not as spicy as in former days.

Years ago, before I met my wife, my then girlfriend was attending Northeastern University in Boston.  Coincidently, my best friend also lived in Boston.  On Huntington Ave. there was a really good Burmese restaurant, the Mandalay.  They served a variety of dishes that  were not especially spicy in themselves, but which were accompanied by sauces ranging from "interesting" to "incendiary."  Now my girlfriend did not like very spicy food, but in spite of my friend's and my warning she put on a LOT of the spiciest sauce.  The evening did not end well.  Also, I married someone else.

Tonight's dinner: Chicken Biryani (medium spicy) from a really good Indian/Pakistani place.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, TerribleT said:

Used to enjoy F and G very tasty both of them but no where near as hot as some of the dishes I had in India, Ceylon and Indonesia.  Haven't been able to eat any of these foods for about 20 years - aging health dietary restrictions .......

My comments above were intended to be in response to Terrible T's comment. Sorry.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nepalese pork curries, wok fried chicken and noodles by the char wallah, Singapore noodles and a blue juice curry, are all happy memories.

Now I mix my own spices and cook them all at home, plenty of birds eye and scotch bonnet chillies. Had my wife's chilli and rice last night and I

am cooking a Potato curry for lunch today 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have eaten Texas Chili, but I personally make my own chili that is a bit hotter from what I've had in Texas. We have some pretty mean peppers available here in Colorado, to include lots of pepper festivals. My Father's wife is also Thai, so I have eaten lots and lots of spicy Thai food that I could not name. It's good, but definitely high on the inferno scale. But, like many others, my ability to eat hot food is slowly deteriorating as I get older. I still like some heat in certain foods (my chili for starters) but it is tempered now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hot pot Chinese one time only. Had the pleasure to experience the burning "heat" twice:o. Once in the evening eating it ( and a five flats of beer to douse the fire:P). The second time I got to experience the burning heat was in the morning:unsure::o:D. But man it was delicious.:P (wont do it again though takes too much beer to douse the fire). k:lol:

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Hot pot Chinese one time only. Had the pleasure to experience the burning "heat" twice:o. Once in the evening eating it ( and a five flats of beer to douse the fire:P). The second time I got to experience the burning heat was in the morning:unsure::o:D. But man it was delicious.:P (wont do it again though takes too much beer to douse the fire). k:lol:

We have a favorite Chinese cookbook by Mai Leung.  She has a recipe for Chinese chicken curry that calls for Madras Curry Paste.  Madras Curry Paste comes either red, which is hot, and yellow, which is absolutely incendiary.  We used the yellow!  So hot we couldn't eat much, but what we did eat we washed down with a sweet German white wine (Liebfraumilch) - A whole magnum (1.75 litres).  Just the two of us! A bit soused!

Ken

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2