This Week's Meaningless Topic (#52) (Sep 4)

Hi all. John Heaton's moving tribute to Australian hospitality in a thread elsewhere in the Lounge Forum is worth your reading. It made me think of the current situation in our world where so many people are being forced to pack up and leave for new lives in new places. And it made me think of good friends who are first and second generation citizens of my own country. And of our "adopted' grandson who is second generation Sri Lankan American. All that reminiscing suggested this week's topic. 

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: Celebrate a "foreigner" who has had a positive impact on your life. 

• Like 5

Not too long ago, the family of my mother had to escape from then-russian Poland to East, and further on to West Germany. A part of our history that so many seem to forget.

But I can´t name any "foreigner", as I have met people originating from a number of countries that just were as normal as me - I do not remember them as foreigners. Be they from Senegal, Greece, Spain, India, Australia, England, Scotland, Turkey, Croatia, Czech or whereever.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• Nick Cooper changed the title to This Week's Meaningless Topic (#52) (Sep 4)

For me it was definitely my late wife who came to Australia in 1958 as Kentish maid with her Ten Pound Pom parents - she married me in 1971 and turned a wastrel adventurer into a proud and effective father of three beautiful children now in their 40s and making their own contribution to Australia.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

For me it was my English grandparents, especially my grandfather.  After my father died a week after my second birthday, Mother and I moved in with Grandma and Grandpa, and Grandpa (who incidentally adored my father) became my father figure, and raised me with a unique Anglo-American approach.  It has stood me well all these years, though my wife keeps saying that "in spite of all temptations to belong to other nations he remains an Englishman.". Well, not quite, but I guess the influence still shows.  A WW1 American Vet, a former English merchant sailor, and a resourceful man he instilled in me patriotism, heritage and resourcefulness.

Ken

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Taph said:

For me, all the Gurkha's, and Fijians who I have served with in the British Army, the New Zealand, South African, Cypriots, Maltese, Brunei people who  made me so welcome

when in their country.

Landon and Taph, you have certainly worked with some interesting comrades during your military careers.  I did interact with some Saudi servicemen when stationed in Jeddah, but never really got a chance to know them.

Ken

• Like 3

Ken,

I was lucky, I also served with US, Canadian, Chinese, Austrian, Australian Signals, plus German, Belgian, Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, Turkish forces and some others.

Iban and Sea Dayak trackers were amazing and have had many a hangover due to Tuak (a local brewed form of rice wine)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Taph said:

Iban and Sea Dayak trackers were amazing and have had many a hangover due to Tuak (a local brewed form of rice wine)

Been there too, mostly when hanging out with British soldiers. One of the worst I can remember thought was a Scottish Guards(?) Infantry company that my Infantry unit had an exchange program with...we drank so hard with those boys for a good long week, I can barely remember most of it...lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

I remember meeting Massai Warrior Tribesmen in Kenya whilst I was posted there, they were so welcoming and friendly, they didn't have a lot by western standards but in reality had so much, surrounded by what you could see around you.....seemed to be full of pride and making you feel welcome, something I have tried to do in my life....

I also remember serving in Berlin, and working with the American units, they were also really friendly and I was honoured. I feel, to be invited to a Thanksgiving meal, I had never seen so much food...I think hanging around with them is what got me into NFL & MLB, one dream I have is to go to the US and see a Baseball match, it always looks like the crowd are having such a great time, meeting up and having a beer etc......

Also on here, with all the different Nations and backgrounds we all come from it's a really good place and I take so much away from most visits to site......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

one dream I have is to go to the US and see a Baseball match, it always looks like the crowd are having such a great time, meeting up and having a beer etc......

I would love to join you at an MLB Baseball game...they are indeed a nice time, a little less hectic then lots of other sports. Generally speaking, here in the U.S. if you wanted to take your family to a professional sporting event, a good ole' baseball game is the place to go. I went to LOTS of games as a youth with my Mother and those are some of my fondest childhood memories. 

And, more to your point Wayne, I love the friendly, global aspect of the Orbx forums. I know there are many on here across the world that if I posted that I would be visiting your corner of the Earth, there would be a simmer from the forums here that would want to meet up for a meal and a beer or some such and swap stories. It's just that way with you all, even though most of us have never met in real life. :) 

• Like 3